OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: palio ck53a1 with sponge
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 12:08 

I decided to get the palio ck531a with .4-.6mm sponge I think it is, because I saw posts about it and there are good players who use it, and it is very cheap so I thought I might as well try it out. Before I was using DHS CF3 and so I switched them out and have been playing with the palio rubber.

When I first started using long pips I used TSP curl P1R .4-.6mm for several months but had a hard time doing anything but chopping with it. (maybe since im better now I could go back to it but I dont want to change tooo frequent) So I bought DHS CF3 when I went to China because that was a cheap long pips I found in a store, and I know some good players use that also. I used that rubber for about 7 months and I like it because I can still chop but also serving with is can be helpful to trick the opponent and I can flick the ball and hit some more aggressive shots when someone pushes my chop.

Now I am using the palio rubber I really like it and I think I want to keep playing with it. Chopping is way more consistent for me and I can still do my same serves with it, and I can also hit backspin shots with it ok. The best difference for me is that chopping just felt much better and more consistent, especially when chopping back balls with light spin which was harder for me to do before. It is also consistent for my shot against backspin or light spin balls when running up to the table after someone pushes to my backhand side, or when someone serves and I can hit the ball with the palio as a service return is really helpful. It is a shot where I kind of do a pick up motion, and lift the ball almost.

So I recommend this rubber because it is easy to use, effective at least for me, and cheap. Maybe It is not that good compared to some others because I have only tried 3 but just letting you guys know my experience since you all post a lot of helpful things.

Also for reference I am not rated, but have practiced chopping against some good players before

Last edited by benc6190 on 03 Oct 2017, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 12:25 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
benc6190 wrote:
I decided to get the palio ck531a with .4-.6mm sponge I think it is, because I saw posts about it and there are good players who use it, and it is very cheap so I thought I might as well try it out. Before I was using DHS CF3 and so I switched them out and have been playing with the palio rubber.

When I first started using long pips I used TSP curl P1R .4-.6mm for several months but had a hard time doing anything but chopping with it. (maybe since im better now I could go back to it but I dont want to change tooo frequent) So I bought DHS CF3 when I went to China because that was a cheap long pips I found in a store, and I know some good players use that also. I used that rubber for about 7 months and I like it because I can still chop but also serving with is can be helpful to trick the opponent and I can flick the ball and hit some more aggressive shots when someone pushes my chop.

Now I am using the palio rubber I really like it and I think I want to keep playing with it. Chopping is way more consistent for me and I can still do my same serves with it, and I can also hit backspin shots with it ok. The best difference for me is that chopping just felt much better and more consistent, especially when chopping back balls with light spin which was harder for me to do before. It is also consistent for my shot against backspin or light spin balls when running up to the table after someone pushes to my backhand side, or when someone serves and I can hit the ball with the palio as a service return is really helpful. It is a shot where I kind of do a pick up motion, and lift the ball almost.

So I recommend this rubber because it is easy to use, effective at least for me, and cheap. Maybe It is not that good compared to some others because I have only tried 3 but just letting you guys know my experience since you all post a lot of helpful things.

Also for reference I am not rated, but have chopped back 2000 rated forehands before and had long rallies doing that.

Thanks for review - I concur that Palio Ck 531a is a 'cheap and cheerful' option - and also think that pretty much any LP will give you decent results if you stick with it long enough :).

Curious - what stops you from getting a rating? There must be a tournament in your neighborhood... As a word of caution - it is *really* hard to figure out your own level without actual tournament play. I think you might discover that casual practice in the club is very different from scoring points in tournament matches, even if your opponent has a '2000-level forehand'.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 05:53 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Agreed on estimating your level in club play. Frequently in practice matches I will do things that I wouldn't normally do in a tournament match, to work on a skill or just to try different tactics and see how they work. Best way is to go to an actual tournament, and see how you do against others when they are using their best tactics under pressure.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 09:30 

How long would you say is a good time to stick with a certain long pips?

I agree with you dwruck I practice chopping and then in matches I find Its hard for me to even get in a position or rally in the match where I get to chop haha.

There are never tournaments held near by where I live, I live in the USA and there are no USATT clubs in my state even. Id have to drive a couple hours and I am a student so I usually am busy. But in the future I will play in some, Id like to. I have a friend around 2000 USA rating that is who I was talking about, but I agree with you I just wanted to provide some reference. Theres a video of us playing but Id have to ask him first if he cares or not to share the link.

For whatever its worth I did go to New Jersey once and to the lily yip table tennis club, and they were having league matches that night, I told Lily I am not rated and she put me in a league with mostly little kids under 1200 rating and I beat each of them without dropping a game :p

Last edited by benc6190 on 03 Oct 2017, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 09:36 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

benc6190 wrote:
How long would you say is a good time to stick with a certain long pips?

There are never tournaments held near by where I live, I live in the USA and there are no USTTA clubs in my state even. Id have to drive a couple hours and I am a student so I usually am busy. But in the future I will play in some, Id like to. I have a friend around 2000 USA rating that is who I was talking about, but I agree with you I just wanted to provide some reference. Theres a video of us playing but Id have to ask him first if he cares or not to share the link.

For whatever its worth I did go to New Jersey once and to the lily yip table tennis club, and they were having league matches that night, I told Lily I am not rated and she put me in a league with mostly little kids under 1200 rating and I beat each of them without dropping a game :p

Which state? I know some states are truly a TT desert, that's just the way it is, but perhaps someone here can chime in and recommend a club you may never heard of (it does not really have to be USATT-affiliated, who cares...).

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 09:39 

Im in delaware I go to a non usatt club but my point is they dont have rated tournaments so I dont have a rating. And there are good clubs in neighboring states just have to be able to drive a little bit.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 12:05 

Last edited by benc6190 on 23 Oct 2017, 00:38, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 12:55 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

benc6190 wrote:

I know I play real awkward I guess because I have never been trained and havent practiced footwork ever. But this shows the rubber as well it is like my 2nd or 3rd time using it at the time of this video, It is on the red side and I am on the far side of the table in the beginning.

My opponent won all the games although we had some close points. I had a nice point at 2:44 I believe

Thanks for posting - and by the way, a lot of us have awkward styles, that's just a reality for anyone who was not coached from the very beginning.

Couple of quick observations:

* You are very BH-oriented in this match, trying to take most of the balls with BH. I'm actually trying to get rid of this habit right now, especially on serve receive, as it makes you vulnerable against stronger players, unless you can move like a pro.

* Your chop too frequently looks like a forward jab - it gets a job done by putting ball on the table, but probably does not get much backspin, I don't think I ever saw your opponent put it into the net. May be try to make a fuller swing with a follow through. Also it feels like you are standing too sideways on some of BH chops, and too vertical, try to get lower (widen your stance a bit, bend your knees).

* Try to keep your chops lower over the net - these balls appear to be too high and don't seem to have enough backspin (or he's good at handling it).

* It looks like you were mostly trying to chop on FH as well - that's fine if you want to be more of a classic defender, but then you need to keep them low, deep, and give plenty of spin or place them into uncomfortable spots. Most of them could've been attacked instead, I think :)

* You should try to get some shorter serves - you mostly serve long to his BH, so try short to wide FH or BH, either backspin or no-spin, and see what he can do with it. More likely than not you'll get a pop up to kill or might win point outright.

Not sure if that's a friend with '2000 forehand' you mentioned above - he looks lower than that, but videos are tough to judge by, so don't tell him that :) .

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 01:10 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Thanks for posting, always fun to watch some chopping! I am by no means an expert on chopping, but I also caught something pgpg said, about how you are too upright in your stance. I think (and someone who chops more than I do can correct me if I'm wrong) because you are so upright that you are taking the ball a bit high. Also, a lot of the chopping motion looks to be up and down, and not enough under the ball. Play around with your angle of chopping to try to get the shots lower. You move very well, it's just a matter of finding the right blade angle, but I think more bending and continuing to work on your footwork will be your best bets.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 05:21 

thanks for comments, Yes its nice to be able to see myself play this is the first time! I can see my chops look more like what you guys pointed out and about my footwork although I felt that already.

My opponent is about 2000 his forehands are pretty spinny so even hitting my long pips and my motion with my paddle still makes heavy backspin but probably not as much as they could be like you guys are saying, so I will experiment with different motions. He probably could have played very differently and we would have different points but we were practicing me chopping and him looping before this match so this game is a continuation of that practice kind of.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2017, 23:28 

Blade: DHS PG7
FH: Palio 47
BH: Palio 47
Nice video.Aalways Better to see club videos than insane ma long videos on yotube :) no sarcasm....shows real achievable level for upcoming players

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 02:10 

samurai wrote:
Nice video.Aalways Better to see club videos than insane ma long videos on yotube :) no sarcasm....shows real achievable level for upcoming players

thanks