OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2017, 05:36 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
I'm still a bit tired of the problems with anti-spin... cleaning them, characteristics changing quickly (losing effectiveness), and that sort of thing.

So, I'm trying to find the LP with the most similar properties to something like mega-block, without the slowness being factored in. That is to say, I'm only interested in having very good reversal, such as the banned frictionless LP, for a blocking and backspin attacking game.

Right now I'm using joola badman reloaded -- which does a good job, but has much more grip than a FLanti style rubber. Or has that ship sailed, and you're forced to use the antis now for something similar? Though at any rate, is there a super slick LP still being offered?

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2017, 18:49 

The short answer is no. The best legal, IMO for a close to the table blocking game with decent reversal is DTechs OX. That's it folks!

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2017, 19:01 
Super User

Passive reversal of Grass DTecs is not even close to the reversal of banned frictionless LPs.
Say if a Hallmark Originals' reversal is 100 , Grass maybe 20, even less ...this is not a scientific measure of course...

Last edited by deva sarjan on 17 Dec 2017, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2017, 20:00 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
I think you'd probably get more passive reversal from a thin sheet of Anti Special or Super Anti than most legal LP's, and without the durability issues of Flanti's.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 02:19 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Palio CK531a has pretty good reversal, especially after it gets old.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 02:35 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
put DG and learn to chop block...thats it... :up:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 00:09 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
Out of the box, there is nothing that comes close to DtecS.. However, many rubbers reverse very good after some use, especially after playing outdoors table tennis..

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 00:11 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Pushblocker wrote:
Out of the box, there is nothing that comes close to DtecS.. However, many rubbers reverse very good after some use, especially after playing outdoors table tennis..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :up: :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 08:30 
Super User

This thread got me thinking. D.Tecs is known as having high reversal, yet has rather soft pimples with ribbed tops. Come to think of it so does my P3aR with which I get some reversal. Wouldn’t stiffer pimples with smooth tops have higher passive reversal potential, or am I missing something?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 08:56 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Dusty054 wrote:
This thread got me thinking. D.Tecs is known as having high reversal, yet has rather soft pimples with ribbed tops. Come to think of it so does my P3aR with which I get some reversal. Wouldn’t stiffer pimples with smooth tops have higher passive reversal potential, or am I missing something?

I always thought D.Tecs had smooth tips :o
EDIT: I just looked up D.Tecs on Google images, and geez, the tips look like they would have a lot of friction.
Imagine how much more reversal D.Tecs would have with smooth pips.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 09:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
By that logic, pimple rubbers would be more spinny than smooth rubbers... and we know they're not. ;)
The grip depends a lot on the contact area (between the ball are the rubber), and for pimple rubbers the contact area is much lower due to the spacing between pimples. That's also why anti needs to have almost zero grip to compete with LPs in reversal (zero grip is not legal for pimples).
Reversal also depend on the hardness of the pimples, and generally softer ones have more reversal since they bend more on contact.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 17:08 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
I just got in a few sheets of SUPERBLOCK to test -- yes, that beautiful and banned frictionless long pip!

But have to say... it has less reversal than DMS diabolic/transformer/megablock etc. so what is so special about it? I'm not seeing the great advantage it had, and was forced to be banned, over something like DMS diabolic? Other than perhaps it fits better on balsa blades than anti does?!?

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 17:51 
Super User

Don’t think those DMS rubbers or others like them were around at the time of the ban?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 05:46 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
I have never used the DMS rubbers you refer to but used Superblock and Inferno back in the day and used to cause havoc. I used them with 1mm of sponge and got incredible levels of reversal from passive and emergency blocks.
I never seemed to have to worry about blade angle and could attack through aggressive pushing and to a certain extent by lifting. It was easy to reverse backspin into quite heavy topspin.
After the ban I had to drop down three divisions before I found DTecS ox. It took several seasons to fight my way back to the Premier Division and then they went and changed the ball. Less reversal and difficult to push aggressively. Plummeting down the rankings again. Tried medium pips, frictionless Anti and traditional Anti on a fast blade.
Recently switched to fast and spinny short pimples and remembered I could hit with my backhand but struggled with return of spin services. What to do?
Quite by accident I remembered a friend had asked if I wanted to try Nittaku Best Anti with 1mm sponge. He had fitted it for me but hadn't delivered it back. I have now had two sessions with it on a Dr Neubauer Hercules blade and haven't felt so optimistic for years.
The rubber provides great control and ease of service return and an encouraging amount of reversal on passive block. I am able to push aggressively and roll backspin and have started hitting pseudo loops. Its best attribute is the ease with which dropshots can be performed both in rallying and when returning serve.
I now can't wait to get back into regular competitive action and am really enjoying my table tennis again.

Bulldog

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 10:52 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
so happy you found the way out of this plastic balls pit.. :)

how would you compare Nittaku Best Anti with DrN Gorilla...NBA have more grip so you can do more?

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!