OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2018, 19:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 10:07 
Super User

https://www.drneubauer.com/shop.php?cat ... s&prod=118

The Desperado 2 seemed to have released without much fanfare. Anyone tried it yet?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 12:10 
Super User

Blade: OSP Virtuoso
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: TSP Curl P3 Alpha R 0.5
I’ve been using it for a few weeks (0.6mm), but mainly just some light practice and ball machine. The season is just getting under way here after summer break. So far I like it a lot. I haven’t tried the original Desperado, but I can compare some features to Number 1 which I also like very much. The pimples are spaced further apart than Number 1 and not quite as soft, though I’d still consider them quite flexible rather than stiff. It is slightly faster than Number 1, though still very slow compared to most LP’s.

As for how it plays, I seem to notice more disruption when blocking than Number 1 and a little less consistent when pushing and chopping though still very controllable. Might not be quite the all-rounder that Number 1 is, but I think it will be more effective over the table. There’s not much grip and service returns are easy. Attacking should be possible though that’s not really my game. I’ll have a more informed opinion over coming weeks and months. I’m looking forward to playing competitively with it.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 03:07 

Anyone tried it yet. Would love to know how it compares to gangster or No 1.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 22:00 
The Twiddler

I've been playing with it on my robot over the weekend and have my first league match with it tomorrow evening.

I always find it hard to judge a rubber against a robot as with the consistency of ball that a robot produces, it's easy to get into a rhythm of returning the ball and therefore it can distort someone's view of how good a rubber is. That said, I've been impressed with the overall control of Desperado 2. It seems to block the ball well, is quite insensitive to spin and is easy to push and move the ball around the table.

I have been using Dr. N Gangster recently which I love and the Desperado feeling similar. I think the Gangster feels a little bit slower with a softer feel to it when the ball makes contact. I also find it easier to keep the ball lower off a block with Gangster.

Desperado 2 blocks equally as well, but feels a touch faster (there's hardly anything in it to be honest) with a slighter firmer feel when the ball makes contact. They are both quite similar though with the main difference appearing to be the ability to flick / hit the ball with Desperado. Don't get me wrong, you can flick it with Gangster, but I find it quite a bit harder to do so, whereas Desperado feels easier to lift, flick and punch the ball over the net.

I'll have a good practice with it tomorrow and test it out against some real opposition, then report back. However early impressions are very positive :up:

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 17:19 
The Twiddler

As promised, I'm reporting back on my first proper hit with Desperado 2. The rubber is currently on my custom Ross Leidy blade which is all wood ( white ash + kiri) with an ALL speed. In other words it's good for blocking and hitting. I have a sheet of Gangster on my second blade which is the same construction, but is a touch quicker (the balls pings off more).

Comparing the two back to back, the Desperado 2 should be slower. It's a touch slower on the ratings and on a slower blade. However when I played with it last night it felt the faster of the two rubbers. The ball sat up more off passive blocks close to the table whereas the Gangster stayed lower. That said, when I got the angle right, it went back low and arrow straight. When this happened, my opponent struggled to loop / hit the next ball.

I also found it good for receiving serve. Again the Gangster is easier and I could drop it shorter, but I put this down to the slightly faster pace of Desperado 2. However, when I did meet the ball positively off my opponents serve, he put nearly every return in the net. It was bizarre and I don't know what the rubber was doing.

When we finished our game, I asked him how he found playing against it and he said it was "nasty" and that it was "hard to judge". He said some shots would float with little spin then others would have spin on them and it was hard to read. I didn't beat him but I won a lot of points from forcing errors from him. Where I lost points was the lack of overall control. It was just a little too quick from what I'm used to.

I used the Gangster for the last two games and won both, beating arguably their best player with it. I forced a lot of errors again and even managed to hit with it.

I think Desperado 2 is good if you want a slightly faster, more active game close to the table. Personally my style is more suited to pushing, blocking, lifting with the pips, occasionally hitting with it, but using it to control the rally and then set up the ball for my forehand. For that style, I find the Gangster better suited to my game.

Sonin summary, I'd say that Desperado 2 is a slightly faster more active version of Gangster. Both receive spin well, block close to the table and enable you to force errors from your opponent. Personally though, I find Gangster easier to play with.

-----

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 19:21 
Super User

Blade: OSP Virtuoso
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: TSP Curl P3 Alpha R 0.5
I really like D2 but I've recently switched back to P3aR for the time being. Both are excellent for my game which is primarily blocking and aggressive pushing. However, I like to use a very thin sponge and I slightly prefer the feel of TSP's thin sponge (probably better described as a rubber backing) to Neubauer's thicker and spongier 0.6mm ones.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 19:42 
The Twiddler

Dusty054 wrote:
I really like D2 but I've recently switched back to P3aR for the time being. Both are excellent for my game which is primarily blocking and aggressive pushing. However, I like to use a very thin sponge and I slightly prefer the feel of TSP's thin sponge (probably better described as a rubber backing) to Neubauer's thicker and spongier 0.6mm ones.

Yes, I think if you like to use a thin sponge, then the thicker Neubauer sponges probably aren't the best to use.

I use all of my pips in OX personally and will be trying the Desperado 2 again on another blade which I think will better suit it. The glue sheet has also been removed, so it'll be interesting to see what difference this might make.

I'll report back when I've had another practice! :)

-----

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 23:39 
The Twiddler

Ok I've now had another practice with the glue sheet removed and it definitely feels a lot better. The ball seems to sit lower off a passive block and goes nice and straight rather than kicking up. I also found that the ball was easier to lift and push with as well.

I still find it a quicker rubber compared to the Gangster however. Gangster to me feels softer and slower whereas Desperado 2 feels firmer and a touch faster off the rebound. However both rubber block the ball nice and low and I'm sure I could happily play with either.

-----