OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 16:13 
Super User

Hi,

I was playing with the 388d-1, for around 8 months or so, but then lost 2-3 pips, and was told that it would not be allowed in tournaments... So, around 2 weeks back, I switched to 388D...

Having played with both now, here's my 2 cents..

Disclaimer : I've started playing with LP, around 9-10 months back, and I'm far from figuring-out how to play with them...

I have no particular style of playing with LP - at times, I'll move a bit away from the table, and chop (mostly try to), at times, I'll play close to the table and push (mostly try to)... on the rare occasion I'll even try attacking with LP, but, with limited success...

388D-1 OX :
  • Overall, I found it more controlled
  • It seemed a lot better at chopping against topspins.
  • Although, more controlled, to me it did not seem particularly effective at over-the-table pushing against backspin - It produced non-spin balls, which could be attacked easily by the opponent. However, once the pips/rubber had been worn-out, it seemed to produce a wee bit of disturbance & reversal.
  • I could not do a consistent pull or push side-swipe with it, no matter how much I tried.. It could be a technique thing.
  • It seemed to create some trouble for the opponents, if I chopped over-the-table (against spin or no spin), with a good wrist-action - For reasons, I can't figure, 9-10 times, most opponents would try attacking the balls, sending it flying miles away from the table...
  • I quite liked it for passive blocks, in the sense, that I could put the ball back onto the table, even while blocking close to the table, against hard and flat hits...
  • I had trouble with keeping the ball low, with almost, all types of strokes.. This, however, got a tad better, once the pips had worn-off... I'm not sure if it's due to my technique, blade or pips...
  • After playing with this rubber for a while, I could, with limited success even hit (BH)
  • Fast low serves with this LP gave a lot of trouble to most players, irrespective of their level of play.

388D OX : It must be noted that I've just recently started playing with this LP ...
  • Overall, I'm finding this LP, less controlled...
  • Major major issue with balls popping-up,
  • major major issue with handling no-spin balls....
  • Considerable amount of wobble, weird trajectories, and reversal, when returning backspin... This is not just my observation, but that of several opponents too...
  • In terms of speed, contrary to popular consensus, I feel it's as fast or slow as the 388D-1...
  • For some unknown reason, I find it, easier to push-swipe with 388D..... I can do pull-swipes against no spin balls, but still not very consistently..
  • I find that the 388D-1 was better at passive blocking, when compared to 388D
  • Fast low serves with this LP seems to be less troubling to players, at my level or higher..
  • For reasons unknown to me, with this LP, smashing from the FH side has been very consistent

At this point, I yet favour the 388D-1... However, I've just started playing with the 388D...I'll continue with it for some more time, and update my views after a couple of months...

Last edited by ootbs on 24 Jan 2019, 10:47, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 05:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Try blocking straight off the bounce with it (388d )

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 10:46 
Super User

dazzler wrote:
Try blocking straight off the bounce with it (388d )

Yep... My practice partner game me the same advice, after I just happened to do so, once or twice, by chance/fluke... I almost never play off the bounce...