OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 09:34 
Double Dipper

mynamenotbob wrote:
PipProdigy wrote:
I just ordered 3 sheets of Palio...I hope you are happy xD. I'm wondering if I should just order another Barricade. In your experience, is the D.Tecs suitable on the Barricade?

I didn't like it. In general, until the Tachi, the D.Tecs played the best for me on carbon blades, the best being the Nittaku Shake Defense.

Regarding the Palio and the Barricade, this should be a painless switch. You're already using the blade and you're already used to your forehand rubber. So with the Palio, it won't take long to get used to it as it harmonizes with the Barricade extremely well, IMO. This is a lot easier than switching blades and getting starting with D.Tecs, which most people here will tell you has a long learning curve, different strokes, etc.

I'm not trying to sound conceded, but my name is PipProdigy for a reason xD. I'm going to be training a lot this summer, so if I was going to change to a high learning curve LP, now would be a good time to do it. I intend to attend Seemiller's training camp this summer, which should be fun.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 01:45 
Super User

Mynamenotbob,
I will be following this thread with interest as I play with D.Tecs OX red on my BH. A big part of my game is FH looping with my Tenergy 05 2.1mm and would like to see how you find the inverted side of this blade's equation.

My only experience with a balsa blade was a Donic Cayman which is generally thought of as a good blade on this forum. However, I did not like it at all and didn't really care for the light weight. If you have played with a Cayman as well, can you provide a brief comparison with the Tachi.

I'm currently playing with a Butterfly Michael Maze blade, which is a Carbon/Arylate composite and rated OFF. I find that it suits my Tenergy 05 FH very nicely and isn't too bad with the D.Tecs OX, although it is faster than I would like on my BH.

If you can also be kind enough to describe your style of play and approximate playing/rating level such that there is a frame of reference. I look forward to following your thoughts/journey with this blade + D.Tecs.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 02:20 
Double Dipper

I would also like a comparison between the Tachi and the Barricade/Cayman as far as Vibration is concerned. The Barricade seems to vibrate just enough for me to feel the ball on my blade, whereas I didn't like the Cayman because I didn't get the same feel from my blocks or smashes as I did with the Barricade.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 10:51 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
NoFootwork wrote:
Mynamenotbob,
I will be following this thread with interest as I play with D.Tecs OX red on my BH. A big part of my game is FH looping with my Tenergy 05 2.1mm and would like to see how you find the inverted side of this blade's equation.

My only experience with a balsa blade was a Donic Cayman which is generally thought of as a good blade on this forum. However, I did not like it at all and didn't really care for the light weight. If you have played with a Cayman as well, can you provide a brief comparison with the Tachi.

I'm currently playing with a Butterfly Michael Maze blade, which is a Carbon/Arylate composite and rated OFF. I find that it suits my Tenergy 05 FH very nicely and isn't too bad with the D.Tecs OX, although it is faster than I would like on my BH.

If you can also be kind enough to describe your style of play and approximate playing/rating level such that there is a frame of reference. I look forward to following your thoughts/journey with this blade + D.Tecs.

Not comfortable advising on looping, since I rarely do it. My game consists of serving, blocking, aggressive pushing with the pips and smashing. On the forehand at the moment I have Tibhar Super Defense 40 (1.3mm), not a looper's dream.

As far as my style, I always stay at the table and don't move much. For the last year I've played with a special brace that essentially fuses my ankle. If you've seen the videos of Wegrowicz Wojciech I post in the video section, that's more or less a mirror image of my playing style.

I'm 53 years old, mainly play at local clubs in hopes of staying in some kind of decent shape and I enjoy experimenting with different table tennis equipment. I've had loads of lessons with top level LP coaches, including a former U.S. Olympian and a former Paralympic world champion. In 2008, I attended Sebastian Sauer's three-day long pip training seminar in Germany.

I've been mainly playing with balsa blades for 4+ years since I began with the Dr. Neubauer style. I have all the Dr. N. blades except for one model, and at least ten blades made by RE-Impact. I also have balsa blades from other manufacturers (Donic Cayman, Joola R*1, etc.) as well as a lot of carbon blades. I've tested almost all of the allegedly good blocking pips and "frictionless-replacement" antis since the ban.

There are a lot of threads about the Tachi on the tt-focus.de and noppen-test.de forums that you can run through Google translator to get the gist of what people think of the blade. The general consensus is that the forehand is terrific.

Many, if not most, of the top blockers who play the Neubauer style use balsa. I have a Timo Boll Spirit, which I believe is similar to the Maze. As a player who hits probably 80% of my shots with the backhand, I would much prefer a balsa blade to the TBS.

The Tachi has a totally better feel than the Cayman, with the best braking effect I've ever experienced on the backhand. The forehand has four plies and doesn't even feel like a balsa blade to me. The overall light weight of the blade can be an advantage with a heavy rubber like Tenergy 05.

Come to think of it, fellow forum member "Attacker" has posted a couple of videos demonstrating the blade. You should ask him what he thinks also.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 11:18 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

PipProdigy wrote:
I would also like a comparison between the Tachi and the Barricade/Cayman as far as Vibration is concerned. The Barricade seems to vibrate just enough for me to feel the ball on my blade, whereas I didn't like the Cayman because I didn't get the same feel from my blocks or smashes as I did with the Barricade.

Vibration isn't something I ever notice. My impressions are the Cayman is quite hard and pretty fast. The Barricade much slower, better control, better feel, not as hard. The Tachi backhand feels soft due to the thick balsa layer underneath, but the outer layer is hard. Achim Rendler recommends a rubber around 2.0 with a medium to medium hard sponge on the forehand, whereas I have a thin blocking rubber glued on at the moment. I'll have to get back to you on the forehand, although I can say with certainty that it's a lot faster than the Barricade, perhaps similar in speed to the Cayman but with better feel.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 11:18 
Double Dipper

MNNB,

Do you do any smashing with your LP? How does the Tachi handle this with the D.Tecs against underspin and dead balls? How would you say the Barricade and Palio do for this? Is D.Tecs a good hitting LP in general?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 15:45 

Mynamenotbob,
I think I'll go ahead and order one of these blades. do you use the standard size? I'm used to playing with Dr N. Bulldozer which may be closer to that middle size. What do you think?

USATT Rating 2105

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 16:20 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

PipProdigy wrote:
MNNB,

Do you do any smashing with your LP? How does the Tachi handle this with the D.Tecs against underspin and dead balls? How would you say the Barricade and Palio do for this? Is D.Tecs a good hitting LP in general?

Don't really smash with the LP unless it's really high and short. It's more of a hard punch stroke against underspin. Against no-spin it's generally a sideswipe, roll/kick, passive block off the bounce, punch, lots of options. I guess I'm not much of a hitter because I don't think I've ever broke a pip other than when I accidentally dropped my paddle on the corner of a table.

Both rubbers are great against underspin with an edge to the D.Tecs. Against the robot, the D.Tecs seems a little better against no-spin also (but on the Tachi only).

So what's so great about the Palio and the Barricade? Really good control and really reliable. A wall. You know they're going to make a mistake before you.

On the other hand, D.Tecs is more dangerous to the opponent -- and unfortunately also to you. You can make some extremely nasty blocks and hope they make a mistake before you. I'm thinking the Tachi's amazing control will cut down on a lot of the unforced errors.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 16:39 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

LonnieDean wrote:
Mynamenotbob,
I think I'll go ahead and order one of these blades. do you use the standard size? I'm used to playing with Dr N. Bulldozer which may be closer to that middle size. What do you think?

Yes, I have the standard size. From what I've seen on your videos, I think this would be the perfect blade for you. You'll marvel at the backhand. And with the lighter weight (probably 25-30 grams in your case with the Bulldozer), you'll be able to really snap your wrist on those no-spin balls to your backhand.

I might try one of the larger ones also.

EDIT: The Tachi is 157mm wide/152mm high in the standard version, 162x162 in the medium version and a 162x168 in the large version. The Bulldozer is 163x167, so the large version would be the closest in size. I believe the bigger they get, they slower they get, as well.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 00:30 
Super User

MNNB,
Thanks for the helpful reply.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 01:01 

Thanks MMNB,
I appreciate your input. I think I'll go for the largest size

USATT Rating 2105

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 10:31 
Liquid Evil Chopper

I'm interested in trying it out too with the D.Tecs. So Tachi is the way to go rather than the Taipan for the D.techs?

Chop til you drop baby!

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 12:02 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Beer Belly wrote:
I'm interested in trying it out too with the D.Tecs. So Tachi is the way to go rather than the Taipan for the D.techs?

Absolutely. Tachi is way better.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 16:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PipProdigy wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:
Well, I've only had it for a few hours, but I can already say it's the best blade I've tried for the D.Tecs by a wide margin. It's a combination blade so the forehand and backhand are different speeds. The forehand is much faster than the Barricade I can say definitively, and by the way I love the Barricade and have had good results with it.

Is the Tachi worth it? It will be to me if I can deal with no-spin effectively with the D.Tecs and find a forehand rubber I like. I'll know more after a few weeks of testing and training, but early impressions are promising for sure.

I'm thinking of throwing Tenergy 25 maybe in 1.9 sponge, since you said that most people prefer'd shorter sponges with the blade. That has been my favorite blocking rubber while still retaining the speed and spin I need for serves, loops, and kills.

Kees wrote:
MnnB wrote:
Quote:
if I can deal with no-spin effectively with the D.Tecs

I played a bit with a D-tecs last Saturday on a tournament, on a Iolite and a JooSeHyuk. Reversal is spectacular on those blades, too - so much so that chopping maybe a meter away from the table against backspin produced so much topspin the ball landed on my half... Not my kind of LP, but impressive. As for dealing with no-spin, I think you have to "switch off" the pips by moving the blade from left to right or v.v. instead of up/down; this way you can use what little friction there is deep inside the rubber without being bothered by random effects of the pips flipping. A side-sweep punch, taking the ball on the rise, should be effective here, I think; or a sideways-pulled block directly after the bounce. If the ball bounces high and you want to hit it, you could try and increase the grip of the pips by cocking your wrist to the left and bringing it forward on contact, taking the ball on the tip of the blade while whipping with your underarm; aim directly for the point on the table you want the ball to land.

From my experience, that is the best technique for hitting no-spin balls. I love the way you explained it very clearly. It has been the focus of my training for some weeks now...

Any chance of getting a video demonstrating this particular technique?
tOD

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 07:16 
Liquid Evil Chopper

In the youtube videos, is that the slightly oversized blade?

Chop til you drop baby!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next