OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Sword LP...
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2010, 20:59 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2010, 09:18 
Super User

Long Defense
Because this rubber has fairly long pips, which are designed ungrippy, the long defense went well. The balls had a lot of backspin against topspin. For me the Neptune is the absolute reference for spin reversal. The Scylla is quite close to it. The balls come very flat and fast and with a very good control. Here I would compare the rubber with the Curl P1-R, where the ball should not be played too late. So in the area near the highest point imho is ideal for the defense. It makes nothing if you hit the ball slightly later, because the backspin is still pretty much. The throw is higher and the ball slower. The more earlier you play the defensive balls are more dangerous and can be played with quite nasty angles. With greater wrist movement can not be generated more reversal and you need only a strong acceleration from your underarm. Spin variations are probably not the strength of this rubber and the curved balls are not so dangerous. The control on the length of this surface must be worked out. Lateral placement are very efficient because of any side spin of the opponent can be taken.

Block
The classic backside rubber block transferred to the LP doesn't work really good. I was constantly forced to adapt the racket angle to the speed and spin of the opponent's balls. That's not really fun with a LP. It is difficult to play with great control balls early with this rubber.

Counter strokes and shots
From now we take a step back. The ball is played at about the highest point. This is probably the absolute highlight of the rubber. Attack balls don't need not be blocked, because that is uncontrolled. They can be attacked directly and on a very dangerous way. These balls have a very strong disturbing effect and dive quickly to the bottom. Shots are extremly dangerous. It is not advisable to engage in duels with the backhand of backside rubber players. The danger comes much more with the disturbing effects of variable tempos while the counter-strokes. It takes some patience to the final stroke with the LP, which is then really deadly. For people coming from backside rubbers and have enjoyed playing counter and shot, this is probably the perfect long pips rubber.

Push
There isn't hardly anything special to report. Both the cutting and pressing are not particularly dangerous, as the balls in total are rather like short pips balls. Of course the attacker may play some balls to long, which I think is not particularly efficient for a active play with long pips.

Return
Since pushing isn't dangerous, I try to attack every serve of my opponent. It is important that you hit the ball not too early (ascending throw). At the highest point each ball can actually be attacked and with a high control and danger.

Conclusion
The two highlights of the rubber (defense and counter strokes) let rise this rubber for me in a much higher league than the Neptune. The surface is similarly difficult to master, you will be rewarded with incredibly nasty and efficient balls. The playing near the table is relatively harmless or uncontrolled. But the rubber has its strength when the ball is played on the highest point. The Skylla has most of my requirements for a LP: spin reversal in the long defense, disruption while flicking and counter-attacking and deadly and strange powerful play forward.

my equipment: old school hardbat table tennis and fun

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 05:13 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Great analysis Martin! Doesn't sound suited to me as I play a lot off the bounce. Pogo is quite good for this.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 07:17 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Great analysis Martin! Doesn't sound suited to me as I play a lot off the bounce. Pogo is quite good for this.

Pogo and Scylla are very similar. Both have long pips, less grip and even heads. Spin reversal is great and both have good options at the table. The Pogo is a bit more controlled and the Scylla has better attacking options.

Cheers, Martin

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 09:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great review, thanks martinspin! :clap:

Was this review for OX or with sponge?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 16:33 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Great review, thanks martinspin! :clap:

Was this review for OX or with sponge?

I played the Scylla with thin spong (0.5 mm).

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 22:35 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
martinspin wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

Pogo and Scylla are very similar. Both have long pips, less grip and even heads. Spin reversal is great and both have good options at the table. The Pogo is a bit more controlled and the Scylla has better attacking options.

Cheers, Martin

Oh I based my statement on that you said it wasn't good for blocking whereas I find Pogo decent for blocking generally. So maybe I would like it then if its similar to Pogo. In fact it might be right up my alley if its similar to Pogo but better for attack. What makes it better? Its a little grippier perhaps? Is it more sensitive to spin than Pogo?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 23:21 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
martinspin wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

Cheers, Martin

Oh I based my statement on that you said it wasn't good for blocking whereas I find Pogo decent for blocking generally. So maybe I would like it then if its similar to Pogo. In fact it might be right up my alley if its similar to Pogo but better for attack. What makes it better? Its a little grippier perhaps? Is it more sensitive to spin than Pogo?

With both rubbers passive blockings are no problems but a bit harmless and active blockings are uncontrolled if someone prefers to press with his blocks. Scylla has less springy pimples and is better for harder attacks. Scylla is also a bit grippier then Pogo. Pogo is a bit less sensitive to spin and attacks are not so deadly like with the Scylla.

Cheers, Martin

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2011, 05:37 

Is anybody still using this LP?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 17:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
For $5.99 I decided to have Eacheng throw a sheet of Sword Scylla OX red into my recent order. Perhaps this LP's ten minutes of fame has come and gone, but it's a rather unusual pip so I wanted to post my findings, however brief.

Super thin see-though base and super scrunchy. In the package, the rubber was tacked down with some sticky something under the four corners; otherwise it would have surely imploded en route. A cut sheet can't weigh more than 6-7g, I'm guessing. Pips feel stiff and grippy. Applied with a trusty Donic glue sheet to my BBC Bluestreak and it's off for some robot abuse..

Chops are laser beam flat and low. But can I implement the dreaded Continuous Attack? The short answer is.. sometimes. In my favorite LP proving ground test -- standing about 5ft off the table and alternating top-chop-flat repeatedly -- Scylla shows early promise! But some inexplicable bad misses quickly kill the mood as it becomes clear to me that the pip folds under too much pressure and careens on unexpected vectors. Fwiw, it does an excellent job at the dead ball drive, presumably since its pips aren't being asked to stay at attention.

Might be good for a softer style than mine, or for someone who is eager to shed a few grams from their OX LP paddle.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2012, 13:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I just revisited this LP on a tour through my collection in search of the ultimate LP for attacking backspin. Long A 1.1, UPUPUPUP 1.0, and Saviga V 1.2 were the standouts amongst the dozen or so I tried until I tried Scylla OX.. and found the best. After determining its ability in the hit-through-backspin department, I reconfigured my robot to send in low fast topspin drives and re-tested Scylla's counter hitting and chopping prowess.

As before, BH drives and chops were low, fast, and laser beam straight, with just enough sink to get the ball on the table. Really nasty and surprisingly consistent! I've been looking to replace my Talon OX with something faster and Scylla OX might just be it; Sanwei CODE being less consistent against backspin than either Talon or Scylla.

I'll add that Scylla can make the nastiest, fastest, slideyest corner-to-corner dead ball serve of any LP I've tested. Not a beginner's LP by any means, but used with force it seems to come into its own. More here after I campaign it in the coming weekend's club RRs.

Has anyone else spent any quality time with Scylla OX?

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 06:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The Sword Scylla party is over.. many broken pips in just a couple of hours of training. The entire base sheet rips, leaving a tiny half-hole under each pip. :(

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 06:45 
Super User

Have you tried Palio CK?

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 07:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ttkenny wrote:
Have you tried Palio CK?
Yes, but not recently. I had a red sheet of CK531A 0.6 but must have tossed it due to broken pips. Your post reminded me that I had a black OX sheet buried somewhere and I just unearthed it and had some hits on the robot.. quite good for drives and chops. Will have to test for attack vs backspin when I have more time to diddle with the robot setup.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 00:50 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I appear to have acquired a sheet of this by accident! As in it was sent to me as an extra by a supplier! It's not itemised, so I'm not sure the thickness, but I'd say ~ 0.6mm sponge.

Worth swapping for my 755 mystery for a bit?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!