OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Sword LP...
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2013, 04:16 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
I played against a very experienced chopper/hitter (higher rated than me) that had it last night and it didn't cause me any major trouble.

It had good backspin, but he had more problem hitting with it than I had getting them back.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 22:53 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Upon closer inspection, what I have is definitely black, 0.5 mm.

A bit puzzled by the continuous attack notion... the rubber itself looks to be very nicely made, and an initial feel suggests it's pretty grippy.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 23:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:

A bit puzzled by the continuous attack notion... the rubber itself looks to be very nicely made, and an initial feel suggests it's pretty grippy.

"continuous attack" refers at the fact that this LP is designed for use close to the table, for aggressive block&attack, which can be continuous because the design enables easy attack of incoming backspin - so no matter what they throw at you, you can return aggressively.
It also chops great, which is often the case with chinese designs for attack.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 00:02 

I have used Scylla OX for a few hours. Seems similar to Pogo. Tried on Firewall Plus and R-1. At the time I was more a defensive player and the Firewall Plus was a nice match. The Scylla OX can be used effectively as a hitters weapon. It seems to do best on the plus when blocking fast balls. I never continued with the R-1 as a major blade but the Scylla OX seemed rather on the slow side compared to Pogo so I tried it on the R-1. Nothing special but again good at blocking and hitting. Not anywhere near as slow as Xiying 979.

USATT Rating: 1682

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 00:34 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Kees wrote:
LordCope wrote:

"continuous attack" refers at the fact that this LP is designed for use close to the table, for aggressive block&attack, which can be continuous because the design enables easy attack of incoming backspin - so no matter what they throw at you, you can return aggressively.
It also chops great, which is often the case with chinese designs for attack.

Aha - thanks for the clarification. Sounds excellent.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 04:33 
The King

Tried this for about an hour, seems to be nothing special. One of the thinnest and most fragile sheets I've ever seen, it crumpled together after removing it from my blade (glued with thinned VOC glue). I was still able to glue it on another blade in somewhat usable condition.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 05:01 

I started using a red Scylla in OX. I noticed the base rubber used it much lower friction than other LPs. I rub my hand over the Sword logo and the surface feels like leather. It almost feels like the ball slips on the surface on slower shots like stops and pushes. When you hit it harder, the pips engage and there is a lot of grip allowing you to hit a nice drive that gets hit back into the net. Great for flicking short underspin. Blocks of drives are nice and low with decent spin continuation as Pushblocker mentioned.

Found another video on the WRM site where this girl is playing with Scylla on .5mm sponge:

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 08:53 

It's funny but i have put swors scylla on a $5 blade from target and kmart ..( prince brand) and the rubber is red and 0.5 with sponge and . is the best against short choppers and under spin shots... you can push the ball and every time is sinking and hard for them to return the ball.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2014, 16:24 
Super User

Maybe rubber cement weakens it? Maybe it needs to be glued with the newer water based glue? or a glue sheet?

I used the rubber cement on it and it affected it considerably, but once it dried I was able to get it on the blade just fine. Yes, it was very flopsy mopsy (ie very soft) in the package, so expect the pips to be very soft.

I put a black 0X sheet on a new blade I made to test the blade and played with it tonight. It is better, ie more controllable attacking than the DTecs 0X. It doesn't have the spin reversal of DTecs, but it had a lot of spin on chops and they did fly low. It was able to counterhit topspin (not looped) balls with it, producing a nospin ball. It was able to attack backspin balls well.

I will test it more. I will try it against the robot to see how it compares to the DTecs. If it falls apart from attacking I might get another sheet and use a glue sheet for it or the water based glue.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2014, 06:03 
Super User

I did a robot test with it today against topspin and backspin.

Against topspin its better than DTecs at getting the ball on the table, but seemed a bit slower at it. That shot works well against lower level players but as you get to playing better players the difference in spin isn't as effective it seems.

Blocking with it was good. Blocks were low with good backspin. It will take months or years to learn to block fast I think, similar to other long pips there where its just something I haven't been able to do well enough to use.

Against backspin it did real well attacking. Maybe a little slower than DTecs, but very high percentage landing to either corner or side.

In all honesty its a good rubber, I think. I didn't get much in the way of wobbly balls (deception) though especially compared to DTecs. I think its because DTecs pips are spaced farther apart. I think it would work well for my game if I played with it enough to get used to it because I know from the other night that it did quite well chopping, too, because they were low and spinny.

Not sure what to do. Right now I have the Scylla on a new test blade I made with a Beechwood backhand top ply, so I haven't got an apples to apples comparison to the DTecs on a blade with an Anegre backhand top ply, which is my primary setup currently. I'm thinking of pulling it off and putting it on another new test blade I made recently with a Gabon backhand top ply, which is a bunch harder than the Anegre, as I'm having trouble controlling the DTecs on that one anyway.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2014, 12:59 
Super User

I played with the Scylla again tonight. It is different for pushing than the DTecs, and that causes me to make more mistakes, so I need to stop playing with it.

If I played with it a month or two, I'd probably be able to get used to it.

It is also lacking in deception compared to the DTecs, and its quite possible that causes people more trouble than I think. My own post above haunts me. The modern defender (better player than me, BTW) that was using it and gave up on it after playing me is now playing with DTecs 0X, not Scylla, and we are back to where he can beat me again.