OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Globe 979 revisited
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 16:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Quote:
Tomorrow I will test it against grown-ups.

Testing against adults yielded the same results.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 02:19 
Super User

Hi Kees, are you still using the Globe 979 ?
I have grown quite fond of your review :-)

Ten

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 04:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Tenergy05fx wrote:
Hi Kees, are you still using the Globe 979 ?
I have grown quite fond of your review :-)

Ten

I am going to test it in matches on a Re Impact Barath tomorrow and post about it in the blades section...

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2014, 23:42 
Super User

I am currentlly testing 979 0.6 and 1.0.
though I have some trouble adjusting to it - my opponents really doesnt like it at all :devil:
I find it more effective than FL2 even though it is easier to control it doesnt provide much wobble at all !
hitting with 979 i qiute effective and offen comes back high or in the net.

Soren

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 01:35 
Super User

Kees wrote:
Quote:

You were very impressed with the red OX version of the 979. Can you tell me if a 0.6mm sponge would change anything about the rubber?

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 04:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ridderz65 wrote:
Kees wrote:
Quote:

You were very impressed with the red OX version of the 979. Can you tell me if a 0.6mm sponge would change anything about the rubber?

It does. Better (easier) attack possibilities, not much more backspin production on chops, though, and less reversal on blocks. Globe now has their Mo Wang LPs, and the defensive one is better than the 979 for chops (with sponge).

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 04:41 
Super User

You were very impressed with the red OX version of the 979. Can you tell me if a 0.6mm sponge would change anything about the rubber?[/quote]

It does. Better (easier) attack possibilities, not much more backspin production on chops, though, and less reversal on blocks. Globe now has their Mo Wang LPs, and the defensive one is better than the 979 for chops (with sponge).[/quote]

Would you say the 0.6mm red globe 979 has less spin reversal/backspin than the OX or is there not much difference? And sponge would help with chopping?

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 04:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ridderz65 wrote:

It does. Better (easier) attack possibilities, not much more backspin production on chops, though, and less reversal on blocks. Globe now has their Mo Wang LPs, and the defensive one is better than the 979 for chops (with sponge).[/quote]

Would you say the 0.6mm red globe 979 has less spin reversal/backspin than the OX or is there not much difference? And sponge would help with chopping?[/quote]

Yes, with sponge there is less reversal on passive strokes, possibly a bit more aided reversal on active strokes where you can grip the ball and help its rotation on. With sponge, aggressive pushing is less effective than in OX; you would have to use a side-swipe instead. There is also a bit less control with sponge. In my opinion, there are better rubbers for chopping with sponge...

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 21:23 

Kees: glad to see you revived the topic as I had not read the OM of 5 years ago. I am struck by how identical your playing description is of the Globe 979 to GD Cropcircles OX, including exact serve receptions. The only difference is that I use Dr. N Titan (ReImpact) combo blade with great effect (McAfee's early combo) with 802-40 on the forehand instead of inverted. I am interested, as a result, in how you compare the ReImpact Barath with 979 to the defensive Globe blade. If you have the opportunity to buy the CC (inexpensive), would love to see the comparison against the 979.

BTW, have moved from the US to Bogota's 2500 m. altitude with interesting results. Subject of another post.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 21:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

epictetus wrote:
Kees: glad to see you revived the topic as I had not read the OM of 5 years ago. I am struck by how identical your playing description is of the Globe 979 to GD Cropcircles OX, including exact serve receptions. The only difference is that I use Dr. N Titan (ReImpact) combo blade with great effect (McAfee's early combo) with 802-40 on the forehand instead of inverted. I am interested, as a result, in how you compare the ReImpact Barath with 979 to the defensive Globe blade. If you have the opportunity to buy the CC (inexpensive), would love to see the comparison against the 979.

BTW, have moved from the US to Bogota's 2500 m. altitude with interesting results. Subject of another post.

I have played with CropCircles on various blades, but only in black, OX. It is rather similar to a black Globe 979 OX except that it is slightly faster and grippier (being softer); I never liked the black 979 in OX for playing close to the table as its passive reversal is much less than the red's and all in all it is no way near as disruptive, when I use it. But these things vary with the player; Richard McAfee has a very distinctive technique, making shallow, long chopping strokes rather close to the table, which is excellent for aided reversal with a soft and medium grippy LP. My own way of chopping and chop-blocking close to the table is much shorter and crisper, best for tougher-pimpled Chinese LP's like Dawei 388D, Globe 979, Friendship 837.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 23:59 

Right on, Kees. Both McAfee and I play with physical limitations (mine's age) and rarely break the 1-2m frontier from the edge of the table. So close-to-table tactics and strokes are the order of the day. In your OM, the close-to-table descriptions resonated. I find that with the grippy CC, the long side swipe (particularly against serves) can place the ball anywhere on the table, has very low throw-angle, and slides on the other side, i.e. does not pop up. Alternate the sideswipe with bananas on the LP side and confusion usually reigns, regardless of speed on the flip (as you point out). Don't mean this to be about CC but was really struck in your description about the similarities with 979 (a given that CC is grippier). Comments on the Barath/979 v.a.v. defensive/979? From all of us, again, many thanks for your keen observations.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 03:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

epictetus wrote:
Comments on the Barath/979 v.a.v. defensive/979?
The Barath is more difficult to control, due to its catapult, especially with no sponge. That will be true for all thick balsa blades. But if you can step away from the table to take the fastest incoming balls at a manegeable speed, the Barath is probably the more dangerous blade. It is best with near-frictionless pips, though.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2017, 06:58 

Hi Kees,
Do you know what kind of wood Globe 583 made of?
I'm using Palio CK531A ox with balsa carbon blade, and I find out just too fast for me
but easier for flick underspin ball compare to defense all wood blade.
Also with balsa carbon, there is no way for me to do stop-block not over the table.
I'm really interested to try your configuration

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 18:55 

The 583 was out of stock when I went to pingpongonline, instead I got the yinhe N-11. It is very very good with .6mm 979, for chopping and hitting.

DHS 301
Adidas Hypertouch
Reactor CA-1

All decked with DHS H3Neo
and Yinhe Moon! I'm cured from low-level EJ'ying!

On to the next TT journey!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!