OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 08:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I spoke to a friend about this rubber today, he got his sheet a few days ago (red OX) and has been testing it. He loves it after his first session in competition, and is planning to change over from dtecs!

He said pips are fairly stiff, and a little smaller than dtecs. He plays a close-in blocking/aggressive pushing game, and used it on a Re-impact Medusa blade, which he tells me is similar to Tachi but a bit slower and more control.

He found the reversal of the rubber quite high, among the highest of the currently legal rubbers. The rubber felt slower than Dtecs and was less sensitive to spin. Agressive pushing was very good with good reversal. Even control against no-spin was quite good.

He tells me it comes with or without a glue sheet (he use one with glue sheet), and the glue sheet adhesion (to the blade) is not too strong so it should be removable. Dtecs glue sheets tend to be a little weak, whereas some other like Giant Dragon are very strong, making it hard to remove from the blade.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 09:59 

This new rubber arrived this week from Hallmark on a new Aurora combination blade offering different performance on either side for speed,spin and control.The rubber placed on the slower side was Red ox matched on the other side by Dr Neubauer Diamant Black 1.6.
My interest in the FS2 follows 6 months playing with Meteor 8512 Ox Red also on another Aurora combination Blade so comparing the two is for me meaningful.
Firstly on the downside the hallmark rubber is more expensive at £30 compared to £12 for the Meteor.but when you see them side to side its clear that the FS2 seems to be of a better Quality. Some of the Meteor Ox rubbers I have had varied in Quality.
I have had one practise session with FS2 and have been encouraged by its performance It is slightly slower,seems to cope with spin well and creates disruption.My team mate had some problem with this and with the ball dipping suddenly in its flight path.
This dipping characteristic seemed particularly useful with fast serves often causing him to hit the returns into the net.Back this up with the same serve with a slow speed also met with the same result
I still need more time with this particularly against a good looper but first impressions are positive.Finally L like Dingwoll2 appreciate the customer care given by direct ordering with Hallmark.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 20:32 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
This LP sounds really interesting, especially since it seems to have hard pips but still a slow speed, which is exactly what I like. I would very much appreciate a full in-depth review from someone who have tried it, if someone has.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 23:05 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

I think I'm going to order it. I'm hoping it's a bit slower than the Meteor 8512 so I can maybe try to resurrect my FW+ blade. I'd be really keen to hear from anyone else who could offer a direct speed comparison between this and the 8512 in red ox.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2010, 08:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Slower than 8512 is already very slow... the 8512 is among the slowest ones around IMO...

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2010, 18:19 

Last night i had a meaningful practise with an attacking Premier League player from our club whose dominant strokes on both wings are loops.This allied to the fact he is left handed made it a good test for the FS2.
I was pleasantly surprised with the way it coped with his attack and general play. My normal preference is to stay close to the table pushing and chopping aggressively, varying the speed ,back spin and angle of return so that the opponent is less able to settle into his strengths.This worked reasonable well but the big surprise for me was the effectiveness of the left to right side swipe against even his strongest loops.Not only was i able to cope with all but the best of his attacks but it importantly raised doubts in his mind .
In passing I was also pleased with the way Dr N Diamant mid pips coped with his topspin.
On the back of this I have ordered another sheet direct from Hallmark.
Blade Hallmark Aurora.
BH Hallmark Friction Special 2 Red Ox
FH Dr Neubauer Diamant 1.6 Black

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2010, 18:20 

Last night was my first test of HFS2 in a competitive league match and more importantly against 2 players who mainly play with spin serves backed up by impressive loops.Both players are approaching the age of 20 and are some 49 years younger than me. I have not beaten either of them over the past 2 seasons even with FLP`s.
The first opponent has a 100% record in the division and ran out winning,2-11,8-11,11-8,7-11. Nothing unexpected there except as the game progressed I was able to control his top spin game more effectively and was impressed with the FS2. For me it proved to be easier to handle than Meteor 8512.
This was confirmed in my next game which I won 8-11,11-9,11-9,11-8.The key here was short varied serves with chop,perceived chop or spin into his elbow.The FS2 raised doubts in his mind and he lost confidence in his attack. Given that in the past his attack was to powerful for me it confirms for me that FS2 may do the job!
My final game of the evening was against against a player with a similiar set up to mine, except that he had Meteor 8512 rather than FS2. This I won in three games more by experience than anything else!
Blade Hallmark Aroura
BH Friction Special 2 Red Ox
FH Dr N Diamant Black !.6

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2010, 07:47 
Super User

Looking forward to playing you with your new rubber tomorrow Graham ;)

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 17:57 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

@ Moggy and Gram - how was it to play against / with?

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 02:36 

Dingwoll2...It was a disaster. I lost easily to their best two players and to young Moggy. It was a night to forget and to realise that anno domini has caught up with me . Normally i have a game plan that i stick to fairly rigidly ...mainly defend and attack any loose ball.For some reason i got trapped in a open fast game and needed little excuse to attack with dire effect. They were all better than me and to be fair was not a true reflection on the FS2...Their team is top of the Division but only yesteryear I would have won all three...Time waits for no man!!

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 02:49 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Oh dear, didn't mean to depress you with the question Gram. I'm convinced there's life in the old dog yet!

But if form does deteriorate for you, rest assured you will always be remembered by us all as one of the most awkward XXXX's we've ever had in our league. And I know you'll take that as a compliment because that's how it's meant! :rofl:

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 07:12 
Super User

I think Gram is being a little harsh on himself, he definitely worked himself into some good attacking positions only to have the forehand fly away over the table. If these had gone on we all would have been in a tighter game. If you used the blade and forehand rubber from about 18 months ago Gram it might have been a different kettle of fish.

I don't think you have the right blade for the Hallmark FS2 Gram, as I said on the night. The Aurora is not as slow as some say. On the def side it is the same speed as a Stiga alround, and the off side is somewhat quicker.

Playing against the FS2 rubber, it gives good reversal against the first loop, but it is obvious that the return is back spin, so we chop it back, chop your next return and 90% of the time your next shot ended up in the net.

Using a slower blade might make the blocked return not so easy to push back.

My son probably had the jump on you in the first match purely because I had been practising with DTecs against him in the summer.

If you give yourself a little more practice with it Gram you will most certainly will reduce your errors.

It was an enjoyable night, well it tends to be when you win ;) , played in good spirit.

HTH
Moggy

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 08:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes you certainly can't base your performance on a single night... we ALL have good and bad nights!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2010, 03:06 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
So is Hallmark Friction Special 2 really anything "special?"

Or is it just a $50 Euro version of some existing Chinese pips like, for example, Meteor 8512?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 23:43 

Hi
Do you have other opinion on this rubber, better if tested on a re-impact tachi? Thank you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!