OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 18:44 
Super User

funkVfunk wrote:
Martin: Have you noticed a difference in long pip performance based upon the feeling of the blade,i.e. soft, medium, hard ? It has been my experience that grippy long pips with a soft sponge can be used more offensively against a variety of spins when used on a blade that has a soft feel than a harder feel. For example, when I tried Grass offense 1.0 on a Nittaku ShellShock,(soft feel), I could not attack dead balls or medium topspin near as effectively as I could with grass defense 1.0, which has a softer sponge. Also, when I played the grass defense 1.0 on harder feeling blades, Butterfly's Grubba Carbon and Desmond Douglas, the lost of control on attacking shots was very obvious.

Hey funkVfunk

Good question!

As a matter of principle the Grass with a grippy surface plays more stable and with more spin (not reversal) on a faster blade. The mid-springy pips assort well on a blade with a mid-hard feel like the Nittaku ShellShock. If you are playing the Grass on a harder blade you are loosing control and if you play the Grass on a softer blade your strokes are to harmless. A harder spong under the long pips does not force the pace of your strokes. That's good for blocking and counter attacking against offenders. Against passiv players you can play more acitvely with the softer spong of the DEF version. I think the Grass OFF is playing better on your harder blades (Gubba Carbon). I would play the Grass DEF with the Nittaku ShellShock. It seems to be a good combo.

DMS Spinfire OX | STIGA Hornet | YASAKA Cobalt OX

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 19:47 

martinspin wrote:
nathanso wrote:
........I would try Phantom 011 without spong......

Hey Martin
have you tried Phantom 011 without sponge?
In this case, please, tell me what's the difference with the Phantom 012 OX.
If your tests gave these results:
Yasaka Phantom 0011, 93, 95, 96, 94, 94, 95, 95;
The same rubber without sponge which results change?
Thanks for your answer.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 21:22 
Super User

maxpong wrote:
martinspin wrote:
nathanso wrote:
........I would try Phantom 011 without spong......

Hey Martin
have you tried Phantom 011 without sponge?
In this case, please, tell me what's the difference with the Phantom 012 OX.
If your tests gave these results:
Yasaka Phantom 0011, 93, 95, 96, 94, 94, 95, 95;
The same rubber without sponge which results change?
Thanks for your answer.

I've tested the 0011 OX on a Joo Se Hyuk blade. The bat is a little bit lighter then the Stiga Hornet combo. I would rate 92, 93, 95, 93, 92, 94, 94;

The absolute values are a bit relative because of the light tuning effect by glueing the spong version to the blade. The 0011 infinity is a very controlled rubber in OX with a good reversal when chopping. Attackings are very stable but not so dangerous as with spong. A very good rubber to hold the ball in the game and to prepare the fh attackings. I would use the 0012 infinity for a block and counterattacking game a bit closer to table then with the 0011. The 0011 has its strength at mid-distance when chopping and attacking.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 22:01 

many thanks Martin,
for a game closer to the table, you should assess the phantom 012 better than the O11 (both OX)?
you think is there much difference between the control that offers the POGO and the Phantom 012? what is the difference between them? much?
excuse me for the english language..... ahahaha

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 00:29 
Super User

maxpong wrote:
many thanks Martin,
for a game closer to the table, you should assess the phantom 012 better than the O11 (both OX)?
you think is there much difference between the control that offers the POGO and the Phantom 012? what is the difference between them? much?
excuse me for the english language..... ahahaha

I would prefer the 0012 for a close to table game. The CTT Pogo is also a good rubber to play close to table. I had problems to attack slow balls or balls with backspin with the Pogo because the grip was to less in my eyes.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 04:03 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Martinspin, is it really true that in your testing you found dozens of currently ITTF approved long pips with illegal thickness and/or aspect ratio?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 08:48 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Martinspin, is it really true that in your testing you found dozens of currently ITTF approved long pips with illegal thickness and/or aspect ratio?

Are you aware that people of the ITTF here read along? 8) - Ok, we have nothing to lose :D -

I measured 10 long pips rubbers that were to thick - I measured 26 long pips rubbers, where the Aspect Ratio was too high. The measurements are not easy without a precise gauge. I used a magnifying glass with a magnification of thirty. Nevertheless, it is very difficult to determine the precise length of the pips neks. Purely from the feeling I guess about 15 surfaces with to high Aspect Ratio. My measurements are certainly not scientific.
I measured e.g. the friction of the TT Master Insider and can see nothing unusual. TT Master tried by a court to refuse the baseless justifications. It did not help. The ITTF can do basically whatever they want. The regional associations will usually do what the ITTF determines.

What the hell! The main thing is we have fun playing table tennis :up:

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 13:14 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
That's amazing. I wonder if the ITTF would dare to ban two dozen or more currently approved long pips on the next list. Shouldn't they be checking for this before they approve it?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 17:04 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
That's amazing. I wonder if the ITTF would dare to ban two dozen or more currently approved long pips on the next list. Shouldn't they be checking for this before they approve it?

A few years ago, the aspect ratio e.g. of the D. TecS was ok. I think the coverings are checked every few years. In between, there'll be variations in production ;)

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 20:42 

Martin
I have played with OX for many years so I tried the Yasaka Phantom 12 infinity Black OX, it does'nt seem to block loop very well, do you recommend I put a sponge underneath it? If so what sponge could I buy?
Regards
Bazzer

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 22:29 
Super User

u60479z wrote:
Martin
I have played with OX for many years so I tried the Yasaka Phantom 12 infinity Black OX, it does'nt seem to block loop very well, do you recommend I put a sponge underneath it? If so what sponge could I buy?
Regards
Bazzer

Hey Bazzer

The Yasaka Phantom 0012 is one of the best surfaces for block and counterattack. When playing with spin the rubber acts like a short pimple. The surface has a textile base. Perhaps that is preparing once certain problems. I would try to adjust the angle of the racket. I don't know how to remove the textil base. I would suggest an ALL blade with a softer feel like Donic Applegren Allplay, Stiga Allround Classic or Yinhe M-6.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2011, 19:32 

Hi Martin
Thank-you for your advice I will try it on Tuesday when I go for a practice.
Regards
Bazzer

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 07:39 

Dear Martin,

which is the most similar Chinese long pips rubber to Tibhar Grass D.Tecs ?

Thanks

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 08:55 
Super User

geek wrote:
Dear Martin,

which is the most similar Chinese long pips rubber to Tibhar Grass D.Tecs ?

Thanks

The question can not be clearly answered. There are differences between Japanese and Chinese rubbers. The spacing between the pimples are smaller in Chinese rubbers in general. Spacings with D. TecS are 1.6 mm. Similar (springiness & grip) is the Dawei 388-D with smaller spacings (1.2 mm). The CTT National Pogo is also similar. He has flat heads and spacings are 1.2 mm too. I hope that helps :)

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 17:45 

Hi Martin,

obviously I was not clear enough. I wonder if some Chinese long pips rubber has similar or identical playing characteristics (spin reversal) as Tibhar Grass D.Tecs, as shown on the review of World Rubber Market

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rj4Q9kqt60&feature=feedbul

Best regards

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next