OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2011, 06:04 
Super User

Err sorry this may be a dumb question but, aren't stiff blades supposed to be fast? Cuz you asked which 3 blades are the slowest and stiffest so are you saying stiff blades are slow? Sorry im confused can someone explain?

And if you would like to know,

Slow blade that i've tried are
Toxic 5. very very very slow.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2011, 15:25 
Reverend Reversal

Blade: Rendler Smart
FH: Hurricane 8 hard
BH: Grass DTechs OX
Well, LDH, that was always my thinking too--but I had also heard that some bats had such a combination of attributes--"stiff yet slow". Even though they were stiff, other factors in the makeup of the blade caused it to be a bit slow. A stiff blade will cause the ball to rebound sharply off of the surface (aiding spin reversal and LP effect), but if it is a light blade or doesn't have much "oompf" in its inner ply makeup, it won't go as far. For some reason, this makes sense to me. But there are lots of other very knowledgeable guys on this forum who understand the physics of all of this better than I do, so I hope that they will also offer some insight here.

Blade - Rendler Smart FH - Hurricane 8 hard black BH - Grass DTechs OX red
Blade - BBC 9/10/9 FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Dragon Talon OX red
Blade - Hallmark Aurora FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Joola Badman OX red

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 09:11 
Super User

Blade: On Elmstreet Ulmo
FH: Palio Flying Dragon
BH: Spinparasite
fazer227 wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:
Geddk wrote:
i like Hallmark Strategy for my d.techs.

Hallmark Strategy is a terrific blade also. My only complaint is it's a little heavy.

I have always been wondering about Hallmark Strategy; have not been able to find any reviews anywhere.

Ged and Bob, can you post a review? How does Strategy compared to KungFu?

I am not in the position to compare it with Kung Fu but I played with Strategy for a short time and I can say that it is very slow.That time this slow blade was just for my back hand side.I blocked every topspin with it with my frictionless rubber and returns were full of backspin.But for my forehand side there was a big disadvantage because of its slowness.All my strokes and smash was very slow and opponents retured them without any difficulty,so at the end I stopped playing with it.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 18:46 

This is my problem also!

If i play with slow blade the backhand size it's ok but i cant attack with forhand size.

I dont find any 2 speed blade which is good for me.

Now i play with Stiga Clipper oversize and Spinlord Zeithgeist. I try first time this evening my club. I hope the speed not to much.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2015, 15:40 

Blade: Yasaka Sweden Defensive
FH: Stiga Calibra Tour M max
BH: Friendship 729 - 755 Ox
    1. Andro Fibercomp (my favourite defensive blade)
    2. Nittaku Resist
    3. Donic Defplay Senso

Setup 4: Nittaku Resist, Xiom Sigma I Europe max on forehand, Friendship 755 0.5 mm on backhand
Setup 5: Victas Koji Matsushita, Yasaka Rakza 7 max on forehand, Bomb Talent 0.5mm on backhand
Setup 6: Butterfly Defence 4, Yasaka Rakza 7 max on forehand, Bomb Talent 0.5mm on backhand

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2015, 16:40 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
I just want to throw the Nittaku Shake Defence in there as well, the speed might be debatable but it's definitely stiff and hard. Personally I find it very slow and lacking catapult but it's very linear and predictable. Very good for LP blocking IMO.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2015, 19:14 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
If you ask me,

Better blocker blade than Aurora,

I give up. White flag. ;P:)

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2015, 20:00 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
to continue this topic a bit,

i think the 1st question is balsa or not balsa...

i personally dont like it, but, can you make a blade slow enough to block hard balls with the BH and fast enough to still have some power on FH w/o balsa catapult effect?

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2015, 14:00 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Forget the slow blades, just put Dtechs on a Gergely and you have the ultimate weapon :devil: :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2015, 14:35 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Forget the slow blades, just put Dtechs on a Gergely and you have the ultimate weapon

I played a few years with Gergely/Schlager Carbon and Dtecs. I went away from fast blades because against hard hitters I blocked way too many balls long. I haven't tried these setups with the plastic ball. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

For me, I've had my best success with Neubauer Barricade and Tibhar COS3 (new version).

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 05:46 
Super User

exactly this^^^

all of you that are playing with faster blades, but block with lp on the table, how do you survive 3rd ball attack from a good players?

i can see that you can play with a faster blade if you are a chopper away from the table, but for us that are playing strictly close to the table, we need that slow blades...

i am currently playing with btt power defence, and i will for sure change it now in winter brake for some even slower blade...
when i look back at the matches i lost, i lost them mostly against faster younger players that have a good 3rd ball attack which i couldn't return because my setup is too fast...first thing i did two weeks ago, i switched from DG on my BH to CC (Cropcircles) bcs DG was too fast...and it is already better, i can see that...

today i won a local tournament, and in the final i played against a good defender against i usually lose (have cca 2-10 against him). He cannot win against me by defending because i have a very strong FH, so he turns to attacker against me...he has a nasty serve and a very good FH spin which i can not handle...but today, because i switched to a slower lp i returned his every ball and he didnt have a chance in attack and then in defence too...if i had played with a faster blade i am sure i would have lost...

hm, lots of words for making a point, sorry :lol:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 14:48 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

111Iceman111 wrote:
exactly this^^^

all of you that are playing with faster blades, but block with lp on the table, how do you survive 3rd ball attack from a good players?

I don't know about other blockers Iceman, but speaking only for myself I have developed a block with my LP that is quite a weapon against attackers. I've kind of coined my own term for them which I call "Bullet Blocks". I play against pretty high level players (ranging from ~US2000 to ~US2400 or so), so I get attacked quite heavily. There is nothing more satisfying (other than perhaps my own FH putaway) than meeting a fast and heavy loop, or a smash, with a block from the LP that goes back at them almost as fast as it came with a spin that is twisting with evil. Now the better players often still have the presence of mind to lift and return some of these, but many will just send them into the net or over-react and send them long. The shot itself requires good reflex to get the blade into the right place, with the right angle and touch for the incoming ball. Its taken just past the bounce at a point where the ball has risen just slightly higher than net height because the ball going back will be virtually in a direct line with just slight gravity perhaps to have it fall a little. But mainly its travelling in a straight line, and usually with some underspin which tends to fight the gravity. On good nights, I've beaten some pretty highly rated attackers by making this shot time and time again. Its taken me years to develop the shot and all the instincts it requires, but for a player of my style, its the only way to survive as I've climbed the grades.

And I should add, without the speed and stiffness of my Gergely, this shot wouldn't be near as deadly as it is.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 22:12 
Super User

hm, i hear you :up:

maybe my technique is simply not good enough... :(

i am a heavy chop blocker, not a passive one, so i simply dont have time to do this kind of block against a fast ball...and when i try to block off the bounce, like everyone recommend, i cant get that downward chopping motion to produce a heavy underspin ball...but i am playing with lp "only" last two years, so hopefully i will get better:)

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2015, 00:49 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

111Iceman111 wrote:
hm, i hear you :up:

maybe my technique is simply not good enough... :(

i am a heavy chop blocker, not a passive one, so i simply dont have time to do this kind of block against a fast ball...and when i try to block off the bounce, like everyone recommend, i cant get that downward chopping motion to produce a heavy underspin ball...but i am playing with lp "only" last two years, so hopefully i will get better:)

Yeah keep at it. I'm up to 8 years with it and I'm still trying to keep on climbing the ladder with it. You have to be imaginative with it and try everything you can possibly think of doing with it, and then focus on improving the stuff that works. Practicing against players of certain styles that help you focus on particular shots is useful. Obviously powerloopers and hitters are the targets for developing good blocking. Practicing against other LP players help you to learn control with spin nuances (slight variations). Practicing against a chopper helps develop hitting ability with LP. Etc.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2015, 06:42 
Reverend Reversal

Blade: Rendler Smart
FH: Hurricane 8 hard
BH: Grass DTechs OX
Quote:
You have to be imaginative with it and try everything you can possibly think of doing with it, and then focus on improving the stuff that works. Practicing against players of certain styles that help you focus on particular shots is useful. Obviously powerloopers and hitters are the targets for developing good blocking. Practicing against other LP players help you to learn control with spin nuances (slight variations). Practicing against a chopper helps develop hitting ability with LP. Etc.

Some great advice right there for anyone wanting to become a LP player or improve their already good play--especially the first sentence.

Blade - Rendler Smart FH - Hurricane 8 hard black BH - Grass DTechs OX red
Blade - BBC 9/10/9 FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Dragon Talon OX red
Blade - Hallmark Aurora FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Joola Badman OX red