OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: Giant Dragon Talon
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 08:22 

Robot Blocker wrote:
Has anybody took a Talon 0.9 apart from the sponge, i am not too fussed by this version! :(
Was it easy, did you use anything to part it?

I removed Talon 0.5 from the sponge. I tried to peel it at first and the sponge shredded up since the adhesive was too strong. I then used some acetone and it came off real clean and easy. The acetone on the rubber evaporated fast and looked perfectly fine after. Acetone is probably better than the ironing method which heats the rubber rapidly.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2012, 04:45 
Super User

How often do you guys replace your Talon?
I have had my red Talon OX for about 6 months and while there are no broken pips, the pips now seem to be more grippy than they were. Any of you has the same experience?

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 02:55 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

sweetstroke wrote:
Robot Blocker wrote:
Has anybody took a Talon 0.9 apart from the sponge, i am not too fussed by this version! :(
Was it easy, did you use anything to part it?

I removed Talon 0.5 from the sponge. I tried to peel it at first and the sponge shredded up since the adhesive was too strong. I then used some acetone and it came off real clean and easy. The acetone on the rubber evaporated fast and looked perfectly fine after. Acetone is probably better than the ironing method which heats the rubber rapidly.

Actually managed to peel this apart slowly with no damage at all, i have been trying the sponge out with Pogo.
The talon seems slower now off the sponge than the glue sheet version!

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 03:10 
It is illogical to play with a uniform surface!

I had a brand new sheet put on and it too seemed a little spin freindly. I did use the glue sheet on this one. ( Black ). I plan to also try the "special" that is also available. I have to get way from trying to let the rubber play me instead of playing the rubber. I also had it set-up on a softer lighter Kris blade. (the other Kris is heavier) and it was very spin freindly. I could attack much better with that one. I also see alot more people are using the red version and the control and spin reversal seems better ( at least on vids it does).
I was wondering on Talon, is it as blade dependant as DTecs was. ( old Version )
It also works well as a chopping set-up, I still am not sure about it.

Peace GIG :Chop: :headbang:

New blade set-up... Nittaku Monophonic with Dawie 388d-1 ox and Big slam max ( really like this one) down to FH rubber selections--I like it better than talon
flaired handle and 90 grams

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 06:50 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

michiganbob54 wrote:
I had a brand new sheet put on and it too seemed a little spin freindly. I did use the glue sheet on this one. ( Black ). I plan to also try the "special" that is also available. I have to get way from trying to let the rubber play me instead of playing the rubber. I also had it set-up on a softer lighter Kris blade. (the other Kris is heavier) and it was very spin freindly. I could attack much better with that one. I also see alot more people are using the red version and the control and spin reversal seems better ( at least on vids it does).
I was wondering on Talon, is it as blade dependant as DTecs was. ( old Version )
It also works well as a chopping set-up, I still am not sure about it.

Peace GIG :Chop: :headbang:

Try the red, it really is not as spin friendly, like most lp! Also i use talon on my soft Joola THWSpot blade, it is a dream on there, but, i do not like Talon on harder blades! I could not get on with DTecs for the same reason!

FWIW I think P1R is a better all round rubber, but not so cute or disruptive for defence, as much as i enjoyed trying it, i prefer Talon!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 08:29 
The King

As Giant Dragon Talon was one of the few pips left on my to try list I recently bought a sheet in red 0.9mm with no intention on trying it with sponge. I usually buy pips in sponged version, give it a few hits with sponge and then remove the sponge. Same with the Talon, few hits with sponge, then removed the sponge. One of the reasons I wanted to try Talon was because pushblocker seems to like these pips a lot. I must say pretty much everything pushblocker wrote about the Talon is correct. Braking effect is great, it gets better after a few hours of play, it has no problems with dead balls and has a more than decent disruptive effect.

I tried the Talon on a senso defplay and I hardly used another blade/rubber combo since I bought the Talon. Disruptive effect is a bit less than 388d on a defplay so i lose a bit there. However I gain a lot on dead balls. Same thing compared to d-tecs. While the d-tecs have better disruptive effect they are terrible and unpredictable on dead balls. I tried several inverted rubbers and so far aurus soft seems to work well with the defplay and talon. I have a tournament coming up in a week or 2 and I will probably be playing with this setup.

BTW, I got a sheet of Talon from the first batch I think, packaging was d-tecs like and the date on the sponge was 2011 something.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 09:53 
The King

Still happy with the talon. I bought 2 more sheets, again from the first batch. Not sure if newer versions are very different but the 2 sheets I tried so far are pretty much the same.

Another player at our club who is one of the highest ranked pips players in Holland is switching to talon as well after playing with old d-tecs for years. In fact he may also switch to the defplay senso after playing with tsp balsa 3.5 for many years. His sheet of d-tecs lost its magic long time ago and he liked my defplay with aurus and talon so much he will use it at the national championships this coming weekend.

Interesting observation: the 0.9 sponge was quite hard to remove even with an iron, the 1.5 sponge was very very easy to remove, no iron needed and no glue/sponge residue at all.

Put to rest:
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 20:53 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I find that as the Talon is used longer, it becomes softer and more grippy. I think I left my last sheet on for a year, and I recently switched it out at the beginning of the year.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 02:03 
Super User

I finally ordered a back up blade due to arrive in the next day or two. I am now free to EJ some without ruining my playing set up :party: . Where is the best place to order a couple sheets of Talon? Is this "first batch" better? does it matter? by the way im in the US. Thanks

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 02:39 
The King

townhousecrackers wrote:
I finally ordered a back up blade due to arrive in the next day or two. I am now free to EJ some without ruining my playing set up :party: . Where is the best place to order a couple sheets of Talon? Is this "first batch" better? does it matter? by the way im in the US. Thanks

I guess pushblocker will know the best place to buy talon in/from us.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 03:36 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Elvis56 wrote:
Still happy with the talon. I bought 2 more sheets, again from the first batch.

Another player at our club who is one of the highest ranked pips players in Holland is switching to talon as well after playing with old d-tecs for years. In fact he may also switch to the defplay senso after playing with tsp balsa 3.5 for many years.

I tried today Defplay+H3N+Talon combo, and wasn't very exited with it. It was too slow, pushblocking and chopping were not dangerous, I wasn't happy with chopping control either.

Blade might be better suited with sponged pips, as the feeling was hard (which is propably good thing from the chopblocking point of view). H3N throwed too high for my liking, otherwise it seemed compliment the blade. And yes, there was good spin potential for looping.

I have had adventures with FW+, which I describe in this thread... viewtopic.php?f=43&t=23925

For me the FW+ seems to have double the power in the FH and disturbance effect with pips. Chops with FW+ and dtecs come very fast but they can be still controlled and good underspin wiith funky flight paths are there.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 03:41 
The King

I also have a fw+, I'll see if I can test and compare.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 03:52 
Super User

Elvis56 wrote:
I also have a fw+, I'll see if I can test and compare.

That would be nice to hear. :clap:

I played most of the autumn with FW+/Talon/TG3N and 2.division tournament. It worked well. (I have national ranking aroung 125 - in a crappy TT-country though... :headbang: )

Now I have been testing dtecs, and chopping seems to be clearly better than with Talon effectwise.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 04:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
I havn`t tested it thoroughly yet but I put a red ox Talon on Defplay and warmed up against a teammate and noticed that the reversal from a passive block was noticeably less than I get on the same blade with 388d which was not what I expected :( :( I know it needs deeper testing to evaluate but that`s almost a no for me

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 04:17 
Super User

dazzler wrote:
I havn`t tested it thoroughly yet but I put a red ox Talon on Defplay and warmed up against a teammate and noticed that the reversal from a passive block was noticeably less than I get on the same blade with 388d which was not what I expected :( :( I know it needs deeper testing to evaluate but that`s almost a no for me

I have 388-1 with sponge - maybe I try to remove it and put in the defplay.

With my FW+/dtecs orTalon it's propably not the reversal that is most difficult for the opponents, but the speed and speed variations in pushblocking. And there is some funky stuff going on to help. When the ball just comes fast, opponent don't have time to prepare for his shots...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 43  Next