OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: Giant Dragon Talon
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 04:20 
The King

dazzler wrote:
I havn`t tested it thoroughly yet but I put a red ox Talon on Defplay and warmed up against a teammate and noticed that the reversal from a passive block was noticeably less than I get on the same blade with 388d which was not what I expected :( :( I know it needs deeper testing to evaluate but that`s almost a no for me

Reversal with Dawei 388d is higher on the defplay yes. For some reason 388d has more reversal on the defplay than on any other blade I tried it on. However dead/no spin balls give me problems with the 388d.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 06:07 

Blade: JSH
FH: Barracuda 2.0
BH: Curl P2 0.5
I did test the defplay in the past (with dtecs Ox) and it definitely doesn't have a 'free bite': you need to work harder (more wrist etc) to give some proper spin continuation.

Now I do play the Talon Ox for more than a year on JSH (previously dtecs-old/JSH). This harder blade really helps in generating backspin with Ox (on topspin). As the blade is quiet fast as well the downside is lower control value. However with a good stroke (wrist spot-on) on the JSH the amount of backspin on a first topspin can be really brutal.

I did test the Talon on VKM and really liked the control but like the defplay you need to execute a better stroke to give some good spin back. Of course this should not necessarily be a disadvantage as it gives you more possibilities to vary the spin.

Note that passive blocking with the Talon is for me the 'last resort' as the rubber is really suited for even a short chopping stroke. The backspin returned is quiet decent (on JSH) and prevents a big booms from your opponent :-)

Talon/ox is a great rubber with only one downside and that's handling heavy backspin balls:
- with a normal push (open blade) the pips do tend to grip on the ball returning it into the net
- a more forward aggressive (close) push doesn't give me the level of control to feel comfortable with.

In time I tend do prefer the first stroke. Attacking works better on dead balls which can be done quiet comfortable. For this I do prefer a longer stroke for this.

cheers
G

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 06:51 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I always order my Talon from www.ztabletennis.com. They usually ship pretty quickly here in the US.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 07:40 
The King

Gybe! wrote:

I did test the Talon on VKM and really liked the control but like the defplay you need to execute a better stroke to give some good spin back. Of course this should not necessarily be a disadvantage as it gives you more possibilities to vary the spin.

cheers
G

This is a very good observation, 100% correct I think. I can get great reversal/spin and the high ranked pips player at our club as well. Variation in spin is quite easy. Another pips player at the club who is ranked much lower couldn't really get anything from the talon but found it surprisingly difficult to play against.

Put to rest:
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 20:08 
The King

Just put talon on my fw+, first impression is that the dampening effect is amazing. This kinda surprised me as the fw+ is a faster blade than for instance the defplay. Must be the balsa. I will test tonight.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 20:28 
Super User

Can someone please compare 979 vs Talon ?
will Talon work for a chopping and looping game ?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 20:52 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
979 is slower than Talon and its pips are probably more firm. Talon has a lot more grip and can give you a lot more spin manipulation, but as is always the case, when a pip has more grip it is more susceptible to spin as well. Talon suits my game better because it allows me to get more spin continuation and allows me to flip the ball easier. I think Talon would be better for chopping, 979 better for close to the table blocking due to the lower speed.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 21:19 
The King

Just noticed something weird with talon on the fw+. I was testing the feel of the blade bouncing the ball up with backspin and catching the ball with the pips side. So far nothing strange. However the ball bounces once and on the second bounce it doesn't come up again but the ball keeps spinning for about 2 seconds. Never seen anything like this with other blades/rubbers.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 23:38 
Super User

Thanks dwruck, but ztabletennis is all out of red and black OX talon. Anyone else know where to order from? I am in US, but if i have to order international it is no problem.

edit: the second I posted this I realized that I could get 1 with a sponge and remove the sponge. I might do that

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2014, 00:13 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
townhousecrackers wrote:
Thanks dwruck, but ztabletennis is all out of red and black OX talon. Anyone else know where to order from? I am in US, but if i have to order international it is no problem.

Japsko has it... don't know about delivery policies...

http://www.japsko.se/long-pimples/340-dragon-talon.html

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2014, 00:15 
The King

townhousecrackers wrote:

edit: the second I posted this I realized that I could get 1 with a sponge and remove the sponge. I might do that

Removing the sponge should not be too difficult, one 0.9 sheet gave me some problems but another 0.9 and the 1.5 were very easy to remove.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2014, 00:23 

townhousecrackers wrote:

I did order mine at the ooakshop. Prices are definitely better than in the Netherlands and postage takes about a week.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2014, 00:26 
Super User

Ya thanks for all the quick replies guys, I have been successful removing sponges from a few other LP rubbers, and since the price and shipping is better with ztabletennis I will probably just order from there and take the sponge off.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2014, 00:30 
The King

Gybe! wrote:
townhousecrackers wrote:

I did order mine at the ooakshop. Prices are definitely better than in the Netherlands and postage takes about a week.

From Holland you can order at galaxysport.de, currently around 17 euro a sheet I think.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2014, 00:40 

Good tip. I did check and they are now 15.9 euro's.
Ooakshop is quiet cheap as well: they sell them for 23 Australian dollar which is about 15 euro as well
thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 43  Next