OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2016, 21:35 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Lorre wrote:
Danthespearton wrote:
Lorre, what is the difference? You said that you have to bend the pips with Feint 3 to get any backspin on chops; don't you have to do the same with P1r and Dtecs to perform a heavy chop? And if what I said is right, how could there be any difference? Is the angle of the blade? The timing of the chop after ball bounces? Thanks! :D

I used the Feint III a couple of months ago for one session, just for fun. This time it went much better, capable of producing a lot of backspin. It was against a low leveled opponent, though, but one who uses a bit of spin. You have to do the same with P1-R and DTecs, but the latter one has soft pips and the former one medium hard ones. The difference in my first impression and the one I'm describing now is the speed with which I'm chopping now compared with the speed with which I was chopping then. So using a lot of wrist and daring to do this is the difference.

Danthespearton wrote:
And I want to second a question Yosua asked earlier; would dawei 388d-1 really be a good substitute for FL3? I'm planning to get a sheet 0.7 thickness as colestt if possible; is there also a specific technique to chop heavily with that as well? Or should I just experiment with it?

I never used it, so I can't compare, although I don't think the Dawei has that soft absorbing sponge.

Honestly, I dont think I need a soft absorbing sponge; I tried 388d1 and I really liked it for chopping, I want to get new equipment but money struggles (Im 14 years old), lol.

Btw, since each of the pimples are different in hardness, which ones require a faster, more active swing? I assume that Feint and P1r would need a faster swing?

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2016, 21:54 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Danthespearton wrote:

I tried 388d1 and I really liked it for chopping, I want to get new equipment but money struggles (Im 14 years old), lol.

I see that you 'want' new equipment - but do you really need it? How long have you used 388d-1 and did you learn how to play with it reasonably well?

I would turn shortage of money into TT advantage - stick with what you have and work on your technique for a while.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 01:14 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Danthespearton wrote:
Btw, since each of the pimples are different in hardness, which ones require a faster, more active swing? I assume that Feint and P1r would need a faster swing?

The harder the pips, the faster the swing needs to be (including wrist). The pips need to bend.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 03:37 
Super User

pgpg wrote:
Danthespearton wrote:

I tried 388d1 and I really liked it for chopping, I want to get new equipment but money struggles (Im 14 years old), lol.

I see that you 'want' new equipment - but do you really need it? How long have you used 388d-1 and did you learn how to play with it reasonably well?

I would turn shortage of money into TT advantage - stick with what you have and work on your technique for a while.

Lol, the paddle I have is the first one I've ever tried, and been using since I first started TT; It's a premade recreational Butterfly racket... the lens on the handle says "Timo Boll CF 1000," CF stands for Carbon Fiber... Inverted on both sides, 1.9 thickness maybe... the rubber's called "Pan Asia..." I don't like my racket a lot, but I will say I like the feel of the blade; not too thick or thin for my taste, although if I could afford a custom blade, I would probably make it slightly thicker, same feel, hard, semi large head and different weight distribution, ugh, it tires my arm out. The rubber is quite old, and I didn't learn properly the first 2 months of playing TT; in fact, the rubbers are dead. Very dead. I don't even know if my paddle would be considered fast. Basically, my paddle is pretty crappy. As for using 388d1, I wanted to see what a lp rubber felt like; prior to trying 388d1 (someone lent me their paddle, it was a chinese pen with 388d1 1 side and tenergy 05 other side), All I knew about lps was online. When I got my first taste of using them (and my only time so far), I don't think I really an lp; but 388d1 felt really good when chopping. Like, REALLY good. I felt like I could just sit back and defend all day against loops from my dad, plus the ball's curved flight path really helped when chopping low; the only problem I had with using 388d1 when I tried it out was close to the table (felt alien to me) and when I accidently chopped too far, and not getting heavy underspin. So, I used 388d1 only once, EVER, for about 20 minutes. I had to give the guy's paddle back because it was time to go home with my dad, and believe me, I try to work on technique all day, LOL. Anyways, that was a long and... unintelligent sounding outburst. Wonder what other people will say :/

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 03:40 
Super User

Oh, and 388d1 was quite livelier than I thought, when bouncing a ball on the pips, it went pretty high, higher than what my paddle can do; I think thats why some of my chops went too far in the test run.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 11:15 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Danthespearton wrote:
pgpg wrote:
Danthespearton wrote:

Lol, the paddle I have is the first one I've ever tried, and been using since I first started TT; It's a premade recreational Butterfly racket... the lens on the handle says "Timo Boll CF 1000," CF stands for Carbon Fiber... Inverted on both sides, 1.9 thickness maybe... the rubber's called "Pan Asia..." I don't like my racket a lot, but I will say I like the feel of the blade; not too thick or thin for my taste, although if I could afford a custom blade, I would probably make it slightly thicker, same feel, hard, semi large head and different weight distribution, ugh, it tires my arm out. The rubber is quite old, and I didn't learn properly the first 2 months of playing TT; in fact, the rubbers are dead. Very dead. I don't even know if my paddle would be considered fast. Basically, my paddle is pretty crappy. As for using 388d1, I wanted to see what a lp rubber felt like; prior to trying 388d1 (someone lent me their paddle, it was a chinese pen with 388d1 1 side and tenergy 05 other side), All I knew about lps was online. When I got my first taste of using them (and my only time so far), I don't think I really an lp; but 388d1 felt really good when chopping. Like, REALLY good. I felt like I could just sit back and defend all day against loops from my dad, plus the ball's curved flight path really helped when chopping low; the only problem I had with using 388d1 when I tried it out was close to the table (felt alien to me) and when I accidently chopped too far, and not getting heavy underspin. So, I used 388d1 only once, EVER, for about 20 minutes. I had to give the guy's paddle back because it was time to go home with my dad, and believe me, I try to work on technique all day, LOL. Anyways, that was a long and... unintelligent sounding outburst. Wonder what other people will say :/

OK - thanks for clarification. Yes, you need to get something better, since that thing you have is likely pretty much dead by now. The question is whether you want to stick with inverted ('leatherback' in another thread advised you to do so - and he's a very good player (much better than me ;) ), so worth a listen ) or continue on the path of LP exploration. If you chose to do the second - perhaps it's worth reading what other people experience was:

'dunc' documented his journey here:

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=22254

and I am doing the same here:

viewtopic.php?t=27372

Check other blogs on this site as well - lots of stories of novice LP users :D and plenty of advice on equipment. Get something cheap to start with - perhaps you'll discover that LP is not for you, so why spend $$$ on premium setup.

Good luck!

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2018, 11:56 

Blade: Butterfly Joo Sae Hyuk
FH: Tibhar Aurus
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Feint long 3 with soft sponge 1.1: