OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 16:53 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

Kees wrote:
Quote:
Problem #10. (A serious one). What to do if my balls do not pop-up, but instead drop straight to the bottom of the net receiving a strong backspin serve/push?

Your bat may not be open enough; open it a bit more. Or your stroke may be too passive, in which case the strong backspin on the ball is reversed into strong topspin so the ball quickly drops - on your side of the net; you should be able to see whether or not this is the case (look at the ball when it hits the net - if it stays there or tries to climb it, there is strong topspin on it), and if it is, make your stroke more active: much quicker but not much more forward, a little bit more up (scooping).

I've found dtecs to be very bad at pushing backspin. The only way I've found to make this work is taking the ball just after the highpoint. If I try any sooner I have to hit it

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 04:31 
Super User

julian wrote:
I've found dtecs to be very bad at pushing backspin. The only way I've found to make this work is taking the ball just after the highpoint. If I try any sooner I have to hit it

I find Dtecs is excellent for pushing backspin. The stroke is probably different than you are use to, bare with me while I try to explain it.

You want your bat head to be oriented vertically, and lead with your fist. It definitely feels weird, but if you do this and have the correct bat angle, you will find pushing backspin with Dtecs is not only a lot easier than you thought, but when you get feel for it, it can be an extremelly dangerous shot. When you do these things you can push the heaviest back spin with very little effort, instead of having to push really hard to counter the heavy backspin. Additionally, this is more potent the closer you take the ball to the bounce. (Also, obviously if you are leading with your fist you cant take the ball immediately off the bounce, but pretty close.)

Because of the speed and liveliness of the Dtecs. I find this shot to be not only the really easy to perform, but also more dangerous relative to other LP rubbers. (I think this shot is a good example of how Dtecs can be a lot more dangerous compared to other LPs that may be easier to use.)

I am not sure if this stroke has to do with the pip orientation or just the mechanics of your arm, but when doing the correct technique it seems effortless.

(I will add that for almost the last month I have been playing with P1r and and this stroke pushing backspin might be the thing I miss about the Dtecs the most compared to the P1r)

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 06:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

townhousecrackers wrote:
julian wrote:

I find Dtecs is excellent for pushing backspin. The stroke is probably different than you are use to, bare with me while I try to explain it.

You want your bat head to be oriented vertically, and lead with your fist. It definitely feels weird, but if you do this and have the correct bat angle, you will find pushing backspin with Dtecs is not only a lot easier than you thought, but when you get feel for it, it can be an extremelly dangerous shot. When you do these things you can push the heaviest back spin with very little effort, instead of having to push really hard to counter the heavy backspin. Additionally, this is more potent the closer you take the ball to the bounce. (Also, obviously if you are leading with your fist you cant take the ball immediately off the bounce, but pretty close.)

Because of the speed and liveliness of the Dtecs. I find this shot to be not only the really easy to perform, but also more dangerous relative to other LP rubbers. (I think this shot is a good example of how Dtecs can be a lot more dangerous compared to other LPs that may be easier to use.)

I am not sure if this stroke has to do with the pip orientation or just the mechanics of your arm, but when doing the correct technique it seems effortless.

(I will add that for almost the last month I have been playing with P1r and and this stroke pushing backspin might be the thing I miss about the Dtecs the most compared to the P1r)

Can you translate the stroke into a penhold vis shakehands stroke for me? please
tOD

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 06:19 
Super User

theOldDuffer wrote:
Can you translate the stroke into a penhold vis shakehands stroke for me?

Unfortunately I am afraid I cannot. I don't play penhold so I cant speak to that, :/ sorry.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 06:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

townhousecrackers wrote:
theOldDuffer wrote:
Can you translate the stroke into a penhold vis shakehands stroke for me?

Unfortunately I am afraid I cannot. I don't play penhold so I cant speak to that, :/ sorry.

when you are making the stroke which do the pimple align. I can translate into angle for penhold.

what angle is the blade?

What kind of line or arc does the blade describe as you are making the stroke?

Maybe I can put those pieces together
Thanks
tOD

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 16:08 
Super User

horisontally aligned pips of gtd has to be horisontal, paralell to table...

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 21:48 
Super User

theOldDuffer wrote:
when you are making the stroke which do the pimple align. I can translate into angle for penhold.

what angle is the blade?

What kind of line or arc does the blade describe as you are making the stroke?

Maybe I can put those pieces together
Thanks
tOD

Horizontally aligned pips, blade about 45 degrees, forward and down motion, trying to get under the ball. Then just trying to find the right contact point, which can be easier said than done

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 17:45 

could anyone tell me, what would be the best tactic for me , i always get random long serves (little side spin or no spin, sometimes backspin) but all of them are long, and most of the time i cant do anything too dangerious, just almost flat ball or little backspin and i get attacked easy, why in the top level like chen weixing they dont get those kinda serves, they get spinny short serves, that means others players are sceard to give long ones, so what chen does to long serves?

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 19:14 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Can't you just hit it?

Or are you saying the lack of spin makes this tricky?

A few players in my league do this kind of serve - as a surprise tactic it's very effective, but if they do it all the time I can usually either hit it right back, or (when using reversing LP) kind of chop it back hard and it has enough spin on to make it tricky for them.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the nature of the challenge!

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 19:31 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Fast no-spin serves to the pips is a problem for me too. When facing that strategy, my solution is to twiddle, so the pips are on the FH side. Then, if the fast serve goes to my FH (pips), I have the space and time required to chop it back. A deep chop to the backhand usually keeps me in the rally. Same serve to BH is fairly easy to return with inverted.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 10:54 

What determines the spin on the ball after you make contact with the ball using long pips? Is it the stroke that you use or the spin that your oppenent put on the ball?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 11:24 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Bobobo wrote:
What determines the spin on the ball after you make contact with the ball using long pips? Is it the stroke that you use or the spin that your oppenent put on the ball?

I don't have a good answer to this question -but: huge thanks for bringing this thread back form the dead. This is an example (for me) why thread necromancy can be a good thing :P

P.S. I should use search function more - who knows what other pearls of wisdom are buried here...

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 11:44 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Bobobo wrote:

Both. Some LPs can create spin more than others depending non how grippy they are. But some LPs are very slippery and some are very grippy (for an LP).

For example, with sponged p-1r. If I get underspin from my opponent and push it back using an inverted style horizontal push, I can send back no spin or slight underspin depending on how vigorously I brush the ball. If I do a flat hit or roll I can send back a dead ball...light top...or moderate top if he gives me enough spin to work with, and depending on how much I brush the ball.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 11:53 

Japsican wrote:
Bobobo wrote:

Both. Some LPs can create spin more than others depending non how grippy they are. But some LPs are very slippery and some are very grippy (for an LP).

For example, with sponged p-1r. If I get underspin from my opponent and push it back using an inverted style horizontal push, I can send back no spin or slight underspin depending on how vigorously I brush the ball. If I do a flat hit or roll I can send back a dead ball...light top...or moderate top if he gives me enough spin to work with, and depending on how much I brush the ball.

What stroke (aside from the chop) and type of long pips should i use to maximize underspin against topspin?

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2016, 13:18 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Bobobo wrote:
Japsican wrote:
Bobobo wrote:

What stroke (aside from the chop) and type of long pips should i use to maximize underspin against topspin?

Block, the chop block at table is very effective too.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!