OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Aug 2019, 23:01


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 19:54 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 03:36
Posts: 415
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 31 times
Hi guys,

I have just bought the Feint Long 3 to use on my joo saehyuk blade. I got it in OX in red.

Any reviews on this rubber and how it might play on this blade?


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 19:59 
Offline
Senior member
User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2015, 20:40
Posts: 129
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 11 times
As far as i know it's a grippy one. So if you are a seasoned LP user you might struggle at the serve returns. I play with P4 which supposedly similar. Easy to hit and push backspin though.

_________________
I'M A TURK I CANNOT KEEP CALM
Butterfly Joo Saehyuk
Tsp curl p4 red 1.2
Rasant Powergrip black 2.1

On the dark side since April 2015. Rating 1500 Australia


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 23:21 
Offline
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2014, 13:38
Posts: 2452
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 553 times
Been thanked: 491 times
Blade: TSP Balsa 3.5 DEF+
FH: Xiom Omega IV Asia 2.0
BH: Xiom Vega Europe 2.0/Max
ridderz65 wrote:
Hi guys,

I have just bought the Feint Long 3 to use on my joo saehyuk blade. I got it in OX in red.

Any reviews on this rubber and how it might play on this blade?


There are reviews of the sponged version on here if you search (don't forget to search), but I have never heard anyone use it in OX. In sponge, it's grippy...as in.. you can loop with it. I played the sponge version for about 3 months and decided that I wanted something with a little more reversal...which was pretty much all LPs.

In OX, i'd imagine it's a lot less grippy as the sponge really matters a lot. However, I do recall the top sheet is pretty grippy when you brush the ball. You will not get much passive reversal and only active strokes will work to get you underspin. It should be a great chopping rubber and a terrible push blocking rubber.

_________________
Blog: "Holy Chtchet!"Rating: 1615

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 00:03 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 03:36
Posts: 415
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 31 times
Japsican wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:
Hi guys,

I have just bought the Feint Long 3 to use on my joo saehyuk blade. I got it in OX in red.

Any reviews on this rubber and how it might play on this blade?


There are reviews of the sponged version on here if you search (don't forget to search), but I have never heard anyone use it in OX. In sponge, it's grippy...as in.. you can loop with it. I played the sponge version for about 3 months and decided that I wanted something with a little more reversal...which was pretty much all LPs.

In OX, i'd imagine it's a lot less grippy as the sponge really matters a lot. However, I do recall the top sheet is pretty grippy when you brush the ball. You will not get much passive reversal and only active strokes will work to get you underspin. It should be a great chopping rubber and a terrible push blocking rubber.


Thank you :)

If I mostly chop with my LP and I want maximum reversal on the JSH blade, should I be using OX pips or a very thin sponge (0.5mm)? I want to get spin reversal to try to set up a forehand attack.
Can you suggest any rubbers I should try to suit the above? And should I be using OX?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 00:06 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 17 Feb 2015, 08:29
Posts: 518
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 58 times
Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 no22
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
more spin reversal u will have on OX pips, but more backspin on chops u will have with 0.5mm

_________________
Butterfly Defence II / TSP Curl P1r 0.5 / DHS Hurricane 3 no22 2.15mm -185g


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 00:45 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 03:36
Posts: 415
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 31 times
garbol wrote:
more spin reversal u will have on OX pips, but more backspin on chops u will have with 0.5mm


Perhaps 0.5mm could be worth a try on the JSH blade. What rubbers do you suggest that have the best properties for this?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 01:06 
Offline
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2014, 13:38
Posts: 2452
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 553 times
Been thanked: 491 times
Blade: TSP Balsa 3.5 DEF+
FH: Xiom Omega IV Asia 2.0
BH: Xiom Vega Europe 2.0/Max
ridderz65 wrote:
If I mostly chop with my LP and I want maximum reversal on the JSH blade, should I be using OX pips or a very thin sponge (0.5mm)? I want to get spin reversal to try to set up a forehand attack.
Can you suggest any rubbers I should try to suit the above? And should I be using OX?

Garbol is correct above. If you want more PASSIVE reversal (ie, continuing the topspin from your opponent) then you want less sponge. If you want to add spin or vary the spin, you should use more sponge. More sponge always means more grip. I capitalized PASSIVE because it’s an important distinction to understand. Both ACTIVE reversal and PASSIVE reversal send back underspin from topsin, but passive reversal implies you are keeping the paddle still and you still send back underspin. Active reversal (ie Chopping/Chopblocking) relies on the speed of your paddle to create underspin (or add underspin). With those, if you cannot chop fast enough, you might not be able to send back the underspin you desire.

I will add one additional qualifier… that the LP topsheets themselves are sometimes grippier and slipperier. The grippier they are, the more you can change or add spin when you chop. The slipperier, the less you can add or change spin to incoming topspin. Therefore the LPs with be the grippiest topsheets on the thickest sponges (and FL3 in a 1.0mm sponge is arguably the grippiest of them all) can vary the spin the most.

So, from all of your questions so far (this and other posts) you should now have a decent idea of which LPs are grippy and slippery. Add to that the fact that more sponge means more grip, and you can make a decision.

I say, stick with the FL3 Ox since you already purchased it, and see if you like it or not. Give it at least 2 months, then you can better formulate an opinion about it, and we can advise from there. It sounds like you are still trying to find yourself style-wise anyways and you may find you aren't as much of a chopper but more of a blocker. I think FL3 Ox is a good first choice if you want to be a chopper, it's slower than most LPs and should do nicely on the JSH.

Stick with what you've got.

_________________
Blog: "Holy Chtchet!"Rating: 1615

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 01:11 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 03:36
Posts: 415
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 31 times
Japsican wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:
If I mostly chop with my LP and I want maximum reversal on the JSH blade, should I be using OX pips or a very thin sponge (0.5mm)? I want to get spin reversal to try to set up a forehand attack.
Can you suggest any rubbers I should try to suit the above? And should I be using OX?

Garbol is correct above. If you want more PASSIVE reversal (ie, continuing the topspin from your opponent) then you want less sponge. If you want to add spin or vary the spin, you should use more sponge. More sponge always means more grip. I capitalized PASSIVE because it’s an important distinction to understand. Both ACTIVE reversal and PASSIVE reversal send back underspin from topsin, but passive reversal implies you are keeping the paddle still and you still send back underspin. Active reversal (ie Chopping/Chopblocking) relies on the speed of your paddle to create underspin (or add underspin). With those, if you cannot chop fast enough, you might not be able to send back the underspin you desire.

I will add one additional qualifier… that the LP topsheets themselves are sometimes grippier and slipperier. The grippier they are, the more you can change or add spin when you chop. The slipperier, the less you can add or change spin to incoming topspin. Therefore the LPs with be the grippiest topsheets on the thickest sponges (and FL3 in a 1.0mm sponge is arguably the grippiest of them all) can vary the spin the most.

So, from all of your questions so far (this and other posts) you should now have a decent idea of which LPs are grippy and slippery. Add to that the fact that more sponge means more grip, and you can make a decision.

I say, stick with the FL3 Ox since you already purchased it, and see if you like it or not. Give it at least 2 months, then you can better formulate an opinion about it, and we can advise from there. It sounds like you are still trying to find yourself style-wise anyways and you may find you aren't as much of a chopper but more of a blocker. I think FL3 Ox is a good first choice if you want to be a chopper, it's slower than most LPs and should do nicely on the JSH.

Stick with what you've got.


Thank you for all of your help. I will see how this goes!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 05:13 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 20:17
Posts: 282
Location: USA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times
I used FL3 with 0.5mm sponge for a few years and really liked it. It was my first LP and I had previously chopped with inverted, so it was not too big a change for me. I found immediately more control of course, but I have since moved to P1-r with 1.0mm sponge and am having even more success with that. FL3 is a good starting point for grippy LP's though, so I say you give it a try.

You may find yourself wanting some sponge to get a little more dwell/control. The FL3 sponge does a lot of dampening against hard shots. I'm not sure you will get this benefit with OX on a fast defensive blade like yours.

_________________
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ST
FH: Xiom Vega Japan Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 18:24 
Offline
Full member
User avatar

Joined: 03 Feb 2018, 00:57
Posts: 51
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 13 times
Blade: Butterfly JSH / Diode V
FH: Butterfly Rozena
BH: Tibhar D.TecS 0.5mm
Sorry for waking up an old thread but I have one question regarding FL3 and spin reversal.

Will FL3 act like an inverted rubber when pushing a backspin push coming from an opponent using inverted? I.e. will FL3 return backspin?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 20:21 
Offline
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.
User avatar

Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 06:49
Posts: 10894
Location: USA
Has thanked: 394 times
Been thanked: 472 times
Blade: Butterfly A. Grubba
FH: Gambler Reflectoid 1mm
BH: Dr. N Troublemaker
mart1nandersson wrote:
Sorry for waking up an old thread but I have one question regarding FL3 and spin reversal.

Will FL3 act like an inverted rubber when pushing a backspin push coming from an opponent using inverted? I.e. will FL3 return backspin?

Light backspin with .5 sponge.

_________________



The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you.
Homer J. Simpson


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 




All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: N001chanr, Najay, Troublespezialist and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2018 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




Don't forget to 'LIKE' our forum on Facebook if you enjoy the content: