OOAK Table Tennis Forum
http://ooakforum.com/

TSP Curl P3-alpha R
http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18939
Page 1 of 1

Author:  GraemeW [ 23 Feb 2012, 03:36 ]
Post subject:  TSP Curl P3-alpha R

After years of double inverted looping I have recently gone over to the 'dark side'!

I am using TSP Curl P3-alpha R 1mm on my backhand, and my primary strategy is blocking and driving at the table to set up my forehand loop and drive. I used to chop as a teenager and so if I get driven back from the table then I'm able to chop fairly consistently and accurately from there and look to get back in with my forehand.

I've picked up many ideas and hints from posts on here and from some of the videos posted. My block and chop block are coming along well through regular practice and I'm finding the P3-alpha R to be a very effective long pip for hitting against push/backspin and also for counter hitting.

My three main areas of weakness with P3-alpha R so far are:-
1. Service return - I'm now trying to be more confident/aggressive but need to learn how to drop balls short, and/or direct the ball deep enough and well enough to keep the 3rd ball options down.
2. Pushing over the table - again need to learn/develop how to keep the ball short and also not dump the ball in the net against no/low spin shots.
3. Blocking -this rubber is very good for this and can generate quite a bit of disturbance, however I'm struggling with keeping the second block on the table, i.e. against a second, heavier loop after my first block.

Any thoughts/hints/suggestions?

Author:  Bogeyhunter [ 23 Feb 2012, 03:49 ]
Post subject:  Re: TSP Curl P3-alpha R

I use it too!!! I've been using it for 2-3 weeks, after 5 years with P1-r. Not sure if I'll permanebtly switch but it seems to do everything well.


Author:  Pushblocker [ 23 Feb 2012, 05:03 ]
Post subject:  Re: TSP Curl P3-alpha R

I have tried the P3 alpha R in both, OX and with sponge and I didn't like the version with sponge.. The ox version is great for blocking and pushing..
BTW, the rubber played better after removing the glue sheet that it comes with.

Author:  Pipsy [ 19 Apr 2012, 21:26 ]
Post subject:  Re: TSP Curl P3-alpha R

Curl P3 Alpha R OX was my first LP. Played with it for about 3 years, before starting to experiment this season with some Chinese long pips & blades, with Palio on Defplay Classic as winner.

I'd like to try my P3 alpha again, but haven't decided on what blade. I have: Victas Matsushita Koji, Yinhe Schild, Hallmark Aurora, Donic Defplay (not the classic, that one is reserved for the Palio)

What blade characteristics would fit this LP in OX? Soft or hard, slow or faster? The pips are already quite soft and very widely spaced, would a harder blade be better? My style is allround (esp. short blocking + long distance chopping).

P.

Author:  fazer227 [ 20 Apr 2012, 06:01 ]
Post subject:  Re: TSP Curl P3-alpha R

GraemeW wrote:
3. Blocking -this rubber is very good for this and can generate quite a bit of disturbance, however I'm struggling with keeping the second block on the table, i.e. against a second, heavier loop after my first block.

That always will be a problem with any pips. Your first block slowed the ball down and your opponent now can really wind into his second shot. Placement on your first block is vital.

Author:  haggisv [ 20 Apr 2012, 19:11 ]
Post subject:  Re: TSP Curl P3-alpha R

Pipsy wrote:
Curl P3 Alpha R OX was my first LP. Played with it for about 3 years, before starting to experiment this season with some Chinese long pips & blades, with Palio on Defplay Classic as winner.

I'd like to try my P3 alpha again, but haven't decided on what blade. I have: Victas Matsushita Koji, Yinhe Schild, Hallmark Aurora, Donic Defplay (not the classic, that one is reserved for the Palio)

What blade characteristics would fit this LP in OX? Soft or hard, slow or faster? The pips are already quite soft and very widely spaced, would a harder blade be better? My style is allround (esp. short blocking + long distance chopping).

P.

A stiffer balsa blade with hard and thin outer plies would work well for this, particularly for your blocking. Out of the ones you listed I'd go for the Aurora, although I have not seen the Yinhe Schild.

Author:  Pipsy [ 20 Apr 2012, 20:48 ]
Post subject:  Re: TSP Curl P3-alpha R

Thanks Haggisv, I will probably try it on both blades, Aurora first. I like Aurora for blocking, chopping is a matter of technique, but I didn't like Aurora for topspin (too stiff/hard I guess)... Schild is better for this.

P.

Author:  Bulldog [ 19 Oct 2012, 04:55 ]
Post subject:  Re: TSP Curl P3-alpha R

Hi Bogeyhunter

Are you still using P3 alpha-r and if so have you overcome the initial problems you had with it? I enjoyed your videos very much.

Bulldog.

Author:  Pipsy [ 19 Oct 2012, 21:41 ]
Post subject:  Re: TSP Curl P3-alpha R

I have an OX-sheet in my closet (and some other sheets & blades as well :lol: ) but still haven't used it. Things are going pretty well in the league matches so far, and as a result, I don't want to experiment very much right now.

But plans are to put it on my Def II or Defplay classic in the near future... Curl P3alpha R was the first LP I ever used, so I'm very curious in trying it again. And how it chops. I remember that blocking & short game was pretty good.

I'm also curious about Bogeyhunters findings...

Author:  Bogeyhunter [ 23 Oct 2012, 15:07 ]
Post subject:  Re: TSP Curl P3-alpha R

Bulldog wrote:
Hi Bogeyhunter

Are you still using P3 alpha-r and if so have you overcome the initial problems you had with it? I enjoyed your videos very much.

Bulldog.


Nope. Used for like a month then went back to P1-R.
P3 alpha-r is not a bad rubber but I spent 5 years with P1-R......just don't want to adjust.

Author:  Bulldog [ 23 Oct 2012, 23:36 ]
Post subject:  Re: TSP Curl P3-alpha R

Hi Bogeyhunter

With your chop defence I don't blame you!

Bulldog.

Author:  scdit46 [ 10 Aug 2018, 21:57 ]
Post subject:  Re: TSP Curl P3-alpha R

Bogeyhunter wrote:
I use it too!!! I've been using it for 2-3 weeks, after 5 years with P1-r. Not sure if I'll permanebtly switch but it seems to do everything well.



hello

In the math, do you use TSP Curl P3-alpha R? what thickness?

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 9:30 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/