OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2012, 06:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victas VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Old-Man-Southpaw wrote:
nathanso wrote:
Bah. This EJ'ing is getting old. I'm back to 755 OX and am going to banish all my other LPs to the attic.

So, could you summarize for us 755 vs GDGL pro's and cons? You didn't say what turned you off about the GDGL?

I have tried 755-2 with thin sponge, but just couldn't chop as well with it compared to the ScrewOne I was using at the time. I tried WallestOne and Wallest for a while, and I think they were a little better than the ScrewOne variants, but am now using Tibhar DTec.S 0X, which is also expensive, and doesn't chop as well, but seems to win more points.
GDGL has what I call a granny gear, and I don't particularly like it. This means that on touch strokes it's slower than I'd expect or want, causing me to leave the ball in the net time after time. I suppose this speaks to its linearity (or lack thereof). Some players would probably appreciate the granny gear for drop shots and such, but not me. 755 has no such non-linearity in the short game so I don't need to compensate on touch shots. 755 is also a good bit faster than GDGL which is good since I use placement to win points, and less time for my opponents means my placements are more effective.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2012, 06:42 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
nathanso wrote:
GDGL has what I call a granny gear, and I don't particularly like it. This means that on touch strokes it's slower than I'd expect or want, causing me to leave the ball in the net time after time. I suppose this speaks to its linearity (or lack thereof). Some players would probably appreciate the granny gear for drop shots and such, but not me. 755 has no such non-linearity in the short game so I don't need to compensate on touch shots. 755 is also a good bit faster than GDGL which is good since I use placement to win points, and less time for my opponents means my placements are more effective.

Ok, that sounds like GD GL could be a problem for me for the same reasons, then. I do a tremendous amount of pushing and chopping with my pips, LOL, because it wins a lot of points...

Have you tried the 755 with sponge or just 0X?

And have you ever tried Tibhar DTec.S 0X or with sponge? That's what I'm using now, so if I had a comparison, it would help.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 02:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Old-Man-Southpaw wrote:
Have you tried the 755 with sponge or just 0X?

And have you ever tried Tibhar DTec.S 0X or with sponge? That's what I'm using now, so if I had a comparison, it would help.
I've tried 755 in every configuration you can think of: OX, 0.6, 0.8, 1.0, Mystery III sponge, 35* special soft sponge, 1.5, 1.8, and 2.0 sponges from various manufacturers that I glued myself. For me, it's best in OX on a stiff, soft blade like the BBC ULTRA Blue Streak. I find I get more chop backspin with OX than I do with any sponge. Sponge of any kind speeds up drive strokes but it adds weight that my tennis elbow doesn't appreciate. Keeping my paddle at 155g is my goal so OX fits nicely into that plan, weighing all of 7-8g cut.

I have never tried Tibhar DTec.S 0X for several reasons: a) its high cost, b) its relative fragility, c) its current neutered state after having been outed at 4.01mm. I don't mind changing a $4 sheet of 755 OX every week or two due to broken pips.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 09:15 
Super User

Blade: Donic alligator combi
FH: FS Bloom Power max.
BH: TSP curl P4 1,0mm
I think GDGL is one of the best attacking LP's. I played it in ox, 0,5mm and 1,0 mm and the 1,2 dampening sponge. I have never played 755. Some say it's not very durable.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 13:03 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
brokkie wrote:
I think GDGL is one of the best attacking LP's. I played it in ox, 0,5mm and 1,0 mm and the 1,2 dampening sponge. I have never played 755. Some say it's not very durable.

You will have my dis-agreement there.

755 used to be very fragile, lasted only 3 to 4 days for me. Fortunately, around 2 years ago, they have improved the rubber's durability, every one of my 755 OX (red) lasted more than 6 months. And I am telling you, I hit with the pips, 755 OX so far is my preferred weapon. :)

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 13:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

tatlwai wrote:
brokkie wrote:

You will have my dis-agreement there.

755 used to be very fragile, lasted only 3 to 4 days for me. Fortunately, around 2 years ago, they have improved the rubber's durability, every one of my 755 OX (red) lasted more than 6 months. And I am telling you, I hit with the pips, 755 OX so far is my preferred weapon. :)
Same findings here.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 14:20 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
Yes, it would be nice to only need to spend $5 on a sheet of rubber that would play just as well as the $50 stuff

Of the 755 variants with sponge, what's the thickest that still has good spin reversal and deception?

BTW, my setup is 133 gr total. No elbow problems yet.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 15:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Old-Man-Southpaw wrote:
Yes, it would be nice to only need to spend $5 on a sheet of rubber that would play just as well as the $50 stuff

Of the 755 variants with sponge, what's the thickest that still has good spin reversal and deception?

Sorry.. I didn't take notes or make a comprehensive comparison of the various sponged versions I tested. Just buy the 0.6 and 1.0 that are available at places like ZeroPong.com and try them..

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2012, 02:04 
Super User

Blade: Donic alligator combi
FH: FS Bloom Power max.
BH: TSP curl P4 1,0mm
Thanks guys.

I've just ordered some new GDGL's. So bad durabillity for 755 is old news.

Next time I'll try one.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 14:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

nathanso wrote:
Bah. This EJ'ing is getting old. I'm back to 755 OX and am going to banish all my other LPs to the attic.

(cough, cough; dust clears from five year old thread)

BUT interestingly.. this 2012 grouse of mine has largely come to pass: 755 OX became my 'home base LP', where I'd take occasional excursions to temptresses like Talon or Stranger or Pogo, only to eventually, inexorably, return to $5 755 OX. And now, it's Aggressor OX. Once an EJ..

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 03:23 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
Whoever named Mo' Wang must have had a side job as an email spammer :devil:

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )