OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012, 05:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Latest shipment from Eacheng.net just arrived to challenge my current favorite, 755 OX:

755-2 OX
837 OX
Globe Mo Wang II OX
Saviga 27 OX
Giant Dragon Giant Long OX*
* obtained domestically but will be included in this round of testing

I tried 837 and on sponge a few years ago and quickly broke pips, but my style has evolved a lot since then and I've never tried it in OX. Similarly, I re-visited 755-2 0.8 just last week and liked its properties but felt it might be better in OX. For the past week I've been playing with Giant Dragon Giant Long OX and think this might be the undiscovered gem from GD. Really ugly slidey sinking ball path and great for attacking as well as chopping. Mo Wang II OX and Saviga 27 OX are both brand new to me. Saviga 27 came vacuum bagged. Its pips are vertically-oriented and feel stiff and grippy. Same with Mo Wang II OX but its base sheet is noticeably thinner. Both are fairly scrunchy (i.e. sound as if stretched taut) when handled. All LPs in this test are red.

More to come..

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012, 08:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Let the reviews begin...:)

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012, 14:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

S27 and MW2 the early standouts in some limited robot testing.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 17:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I tested a few of these LPs at my local TT club earlier today: S27, MW2, and GD Giant Long, the latter of which I've been playing for a few day now. S27 and MW2 are similar in that both have stiff, springy, vertically-oriented pips. S27 is easily the fastest of these three (perhaps due to its thick base sheet), with MW2 second, and Giant Long a distant third, though GDGL is plenty fast when hit hard. I ended up putting the MW2 down fairly early in the day because it seemed a bit dead and inconsistent, at least compared to the other two, and I wanted to keep the training rallies moving.

S27 is an LP attacker's dream. It's very fast and holds up to power well, meaning its pips don't give way under hard strokes and produce unwanted results. S27 chops well but I wasn't able to build up additive spin to run my control looper training partner's balls into the net. S27 plays a little like an MP in that it has very little LP effect. I compared S27 and GDGL for simple loop blocking and GDGL proved superior, keeping the ball shorter and lower.

All three of these LPs can easily lift a ball from below net height to support a nice BH flick or drive.. an important part of my game these days. Giant Long in the short game is tricky because it's not linear on soft strokes; it's slower than I'd expect or want. This can be compensated for, of course, but it makes it an LP I can't immediately pick up and start using without errors. Giant Long has a bad reaction to side spin, whether counter it or generating it: The ball just floats off into the distance!

I played today's RR mostly with S27. I quickly defeated my training partner something like 4,5,4 and we've been trading matches lately, so this was surprising. I lost two fairly close matches to players 150 and 250 points above me, where S27's serve return proved problematic for me. I changed to GDGL for my final match and won 3-0 against a player -150 points below me.

I think I'd pick GDGL over S27 for its superior chopping backspin and its uglier ball path on drives. I need to spend more robot time with MW2 so I can rally better with it, though maybe I already know enough? 837 and 755-2 didn't come out of the bag today but might when I return to the club Tuesday night..

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2012, 15:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

More robot testing tonight, this time including the two RITC LPs.

837 OX red is an odd bird indeed. Some retailers describe this as an all-purpose LP that's an easy to use and thus an ideal first LP. I disagree. Throw angle on 837 is lower than the rest of this batch, requiring deliberate effort on my part to 'aim higher always'. Lifting the ball very difficult. Ball path is quite straight without much arc on BH topspin drives, but it does produce a nasty skidding landing. 837 seems to chop OK.. nice and low. Play is inconsistent with the power I'm using, with 1 in 4 balls going completely awry for no apparent reason. But when it hooks up -- like hitting the sweet spot on a 1-wood golf club -- man oh man, does the ball rocket!

755-2 plays similar to 755 but it's less consistent and less able to take power. 755 seems to do everything 755-2 can do but better.. at least for the strokes I use: chop blocks, chops, swipes, dead-ball drives, topspin drives, and topspin flicks. 755-2's pips are very thin and wide-spaced, even mores so than Giant Long.

Spent some more time with Mo (Wang II, that is). Its stiff, stout, grippy pips play as I'd expect: Predictable attacking strokes with little LP effect. Not even any skid or sink. :( S27 is similar.. looking and playing. The reverse sides of MW2 and S27 are both textured in a cloth-like pattern. And as I described earlier, both use vertically-oriented pips. S27 still playing faster and more consistently than MW2 for me.

My favorite continues to be GD Giant Long. This LP has great sink and skid, and it can take power without losing its composure. It also chops very well, with opponents' first loop counters landing in the net.

Durability-wise, none of these LPs are showing any signs of broken or partially-broken pips.. yet.

More testing against live opponents tomorrow night at the club where I'll try to focus more on MW2 and the two RITC pips. I need to decide which of these to campaign in a local 2-star tournament that's coming up on Nov 3, though I'm leaning towards GD GL or my trusty 755.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2012, 02:45 
Super User

Blade: Donic alligator combi
FH: FS Bloom Power max.
BH: TSP curl P4 1,0mm
nathanso wrote:
My favorite continues to be GD Giant Long. This LP has great sink and skid, and it can take power without losing its composure. It also chops very well, with opponents' first loop counters landing in the net.

Durability-wise, none of these LPs are showing any signs of broken or partially-broken pips.. yet.

After curl P1r my favorite also. I only played GD long soft. Right now i've ordered a GD long 1,0 mm (without soft) Durabillity is average (same as P1r, about 6 weeks) But they are cheap.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2012, 03:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

brokkie wrote:
nathanso wrote:

After curl P1r my favorite also. I only played GD long soft. Right now i've ordered a GD long 1,0 mm (without soft) Durabillity is average (same as P1r, about 6 weeks) But they are cheap.
I really liked P1r on 0.6 sponge but its pips broke too easily and it's a bit pricey. I didn't really like Giant Long 1.0 but the OX is something else entirely.. much better, imho.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 03:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I played with GD GL, 755, 755-2, and MW2 on Tuesday night. Still not finding anything particularly noteworthy about MW2. 755-2 not bad but less consistent than 755. I achieved my best results with GD GL, again, so I think I'm going to switch to it for a while.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 04:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I am sure you have tried cropcircles right? I can't remember. If so how does it compare w GD long?

In the expensive area I am feeling really good about P4 chop, but I can make minimal adjustments and use 755-2. I also think cropcircles has some similarity. That said I much prefer to play with sponge and from your description may LP game is very different that yours.

Look forward to your continuted reviews-I may give MWII a try (with sponge) one day for fun.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 20:52 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
nathanso wrote:
I played with GD GL, 755, 755-2, and MW2 on Tuesday night. Still not finding anything particularly noteworthy about MW2. 755-2 not bad but less consistent than 755. I achieved my best results with GD GL, again, so I think I'm going to switch to it for a while.

I tried MW2 ox as well and also didn't like it. Very stiff pips, practically all strokes were better with Palio OX, exept for hitting maybe... Tried it on a blade with carbon layers, so maybe a softer and flexy blade pairs up better with MWII

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2012, 02:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

vanjr wrote:
I am sure you have tried cropcircles right? I can't remember. If so how does it compare w GD long?

In the expensive area I am feeling really good about P4 chop, but I can make minimal adjustments and use 755-2. I also think cropcircles has some similarity. That said I much prefer to play with sponge and from your description may LP game is very different that yours.

Look forward to your continuted reviews-I may give MWII a try (with sponge) one day for fun.
Re TSP LPs, I really liked P-1r 0.6. It was the most well-behaved (predictable and linear) LP that I've used. I just didn't appreciate its price and relative fragility when compared to 755, and now Giant Long. I have many sheets of Cropcircles and have written about it on OOAK in other threads. I found Cropcircles to be the grippiest LP that I've tried. It was great for flicks and manipulating spin, but I felt it had major drawbacks when attacking backspin over the table, in which case its high grip would send the ball into the net, almost like inverted. Another drawback I found was chopping against heavy loop.. the ball would pop up sending my chops long. No other LP I've chopped with has done this. I tried Cropcircles OX, in 1.2 GD sponge (which I believe is dampening sponge), and my own harder offensive sponges. Nothing suited my style of play.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2012, 07:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
nathanso wrote:
I really liked P-1r 0.6. It was the most well-behaved (predictable and linear) LP that I've used. I just didn't appreciate its price and relative fragility when compared to 755, and now Giant Long.

I know you've mentioned your experience with the p-1r before...but I just don't get how your seemed to be fragile. Of all the pips I've used, which includes several sheets of P-1r and 755, the p1-r was by far the most durable.... in fact it never broke a pip on it. I know I don't hit nearly as much (or probably as hard) as you do, but I broke plenty of pips on other sheets. I don't get it :o

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2012, 20:44 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Pipsy wrote:
nathanso wrote:

I tried MW2 ox as well and also didn't like it. Very stiff pips, practically all strokes were better with Palio OX, exept for hitting maybe... Tried it on a blade with carbon layers, so maybe a softer and flexy blade pairs up better with MWII

I've never tried Mo Wang II, but Mo Wang I is a nice pip, somewhere between DTecS and P1-r with pips wide apart, lots of pimple effect but still grippy enough to attack with. A little fast however, why I gave it up. But that was with a soft 1.0 mm sponge. I tried in ox and it was horrible! No feeling, no good spin reversal, now good at anything, besides perhaps that you could generate some spin with it even iin ox. Perhaps MW II also needs a sponge?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012, 01:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Bah. This EJ'ing is getting old. I'm back to 755 OX and am going to banish all my other LPs to the attic.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2012, 03:25 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
nathanso wrote:
Bah. This EJ'ing is getting old. I'm back to 755 OX and am going to banish all my other LPs to the attic.

So, could you summarize for us 755 vs GDGL pro's and cons? You didn't say what turned you off about the GDGL?

I have tried 755-2 with thin sponge, but just couldn't chop as well with it compared to the ScrewOne I was using at the time. I tried WallestOne and Wallest for a while, and I think they were a little better than the ScrewOne variants, but am now using Tibhar DTec.S 0X, which is also expensive, and doesn't chop as well, but seems to win more points.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X