OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 21:50 

First of all hi! Im new to this great forum . So i play table tennis for some time now and before month i got my first "good" blade with rubbers . So the blade is Yasaka Extra off- with dhs skyline tg3 FH and palio cj8000 biotech 36-38degree . I mean i like the combination but i feel this bh palio rubber does not suit me very well (the tg3 is fine for my looping and pushing) . Im considering to buy some good chopping rubbers for my BH . I like to chop and block with my bh a lot and also attack with my fh the high balls . Can you help me choose good lp rubber for blocking chopping for beginner lp player . Tnx in advance!

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 22:03 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

I tried quite a number of different rubbers when I started with LP, and the one I came back to was the Palio CK531a. It does not excel in any particular area, but to some degree it has all the properties you expect from LP, and it is fairly easy to play with. I don't build my game around the "disruptive" capacity of LP, so for me the "middle of the road" is just right. I don't see myself changing any time soon.

Luckily, the one that turned out to be optimal for my game was also the cheapest of the bunch...

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 22:30 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
CTT National Pogo is also a great one to start with. Great control for learning to play LP.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 22:43 
Super User

I don't have a lot of experience with LP but I'll echo Keme's thoughts on Palio Ck531a. It's my 2nd LP rubber (Friendship 755 my first) and I'm a fan of the Palio.

I have it in OX (have also tried .5 sponge. Nice close the table for a little power. Off the table wasn't as good chopping) and I like that I can do just about anything with it.

I play a close to the table cpen twiddle game but at times will also back off and play a modern defender game chopping with the LP RPB if I need to switch it up on a match. You can do dang near every shot with this stuff.

- chopping
- chop block
- attacking strokes

You name it. And it's super cheap so you're not really out much if it doesn't work out for you.

Since this is your first LP rubber, just stay patient and be ready for a long adjustment period. I'm about a couple of months in on LPs and I'm getting there but I suspect my LP game is nowhere near what it'll be say a year from now... And so on & so forth.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 23:30 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
If I've learned anything this year, it's that unless you're a very experienced, very self-aware, very analytical player, who can recognise the differences that equipment will make, and adjust their game, you're almost certainly making the decision based on mundane criteria such as cost and availability.

I started off with 755 with sponge, and have also played with CK531 with sponge. I changed to OX, as I found my close to the table control was much better without sponge, and because I rarely go far enough back from the table to benefit from the sponge. I also found that spin reversal was way better with OX. I think it might be worth taking a view on sponge vs no-sponge from an early point, but beyond that, pretty much anything will do. At the bargain end of the spectrum you have two offerings from Friendship, the Dawei 388, the pogo, the CK531 and a few Giant Dragons. I would literally find out which you can get easiest, which fits your wallet, and buy a couple (worth having a few in case of attachment failures, damage, replacement etc). They're all different in their own ways, but picking one and learning how to play with it is really the best approach... boring though it is :)

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2014, 02:17 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
I actually enjoy playing a very whacky spin game, myself, and the less expensive ones I liked best for that are Giant Dragon Talon 0X or Globe 979 0X or Dawei 388D 0X.

The suggestions given above thus far that I've played were also good.

Plan to get 30 days of playing to adapt. The spin is quite different. Not WRONG, just different, and just like it would take a lot of practice to play well against it, it takes a lot of practice to play well with it.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2014, 04:14 

Tnx for the fast responses. So can you suggest rubber to fit my YE and my playstile or i need to change the blade too ?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2014, 05:24 
Super User

I have played with the Giant Dragon Talon 0X on my Yasaka Extra, and it works fine for chopping or blocking

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2014, 06:31 

So i can play that modern defense style without changing this blade , right ? Any other rubber suggestions ? Price tag doesn't matter just need the proper rubber for chopping/blocking and attacking well. (never played lp) . Also OX or .5 1 / 1.5 ?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2014, 06:46 
Super User

Yes. I tried a number of different rubbers on both FH and BH and the only thing I noticed was that on FH it seemed to play better for me with a softer sponge. On BH, the Yasaka was the best setup I found capable of both defending and attacking with 0X pips, and the custom blades I use now have the BH side the same woods as my Yasaka.

If money is no object, I play with Dtecs 0X on BH not Talon because I seemed to be tougher to play with it, as it has more spin reversal when I chop, and is harder hitting when I attack, but at the cost of some control and double the price.

The thing is that I only spent a couple months playing with Talon (I play almost every day), so maybe I just didn't get as well adapted with it, because I've played Dtecs for about 2 yrs. I had Nittaku ScrewOne on the Yasaka initially, and then WallestOne, and those played well on it also. The wood on the Yasaka's BH side gives good reversal and good chops and good attacking with 0X pips. It could block too, but that hasn't been something I've done much of till recently due to injuries.

If you are like me, spending $50 more might be worth it if you think its going to be the difference between winning and losing. But then I see Pushblocker and some of the WI guys play with Talon, and they are better than me, so it can't be all that bad...

You lose a lot of the reversal if you play the LP with sponge. The reversal is what makes my game work. I don't know if you will be using it to the degree I do or not, but I know that if I play with LP that don't do that, it costs me a lot of points where my opponents don't screw up into the net or off the back like I expect them to.

And yes, I would call myself a "modern defender" too. The blade is fine if you have a FH that works on it already :)

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 07:39 

I'd use any LP rubber with sponge. Easier transition from inverted to LP. My BH is Stranger Attack 1.2 mm.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 08:24 
Super User

I have also tried a number of different ones with sponge. I was able to chop as well with either, but my chops went longer with sponge. You can also block with either, but with sponge you will get less reversal, so the ball is easier to attack. Same thing with pushing. Some people say attacking is easier with sponge, and its true that because you can create more spin yourself, that you can get it onto the table easier, but the price tag is that the ball is easier for your opponent to attack because it will be much slower (there is dwell time with sponge, but almost none with 0X) and have a more normal spin.

Yes, its true that the 0X pips will be a bigger change than sponge pips if you are used to inverted, but if you play a lot, you will get used to either in a month, and within a few months, if you work at finding ways to use your opponents spins against him, you will be a challenge to play, at least for lower level players that aren't good at reading the spins on the ball. The other thing is that playing with long pips, you will almost be forced to learn to read the spin, because to USE it, you have to first read it, and then quickly decide what to do with it, LOL.

Personally, I enjoy using the reversal to confuse my opponents when I can. Its part of what makes the game fun, using what you have to hit balls that your opponent can't get back.

Having made the switch myself twice a few years ago, my suggestion would be, If you think you want to try the tricky game, try one 0X, and if after 30 actual playing days you still aren't having fun using the reversal, then try some attack sponge under it. If you give up before then, you maybe didn't give yourself enough time to adapt. I made that goof the first time myself, and suffered again for a number of months afterwards with a backhand that only cost me points and games till I tried the pips again and stuck with it.

Good luck, and hope you have fun with it.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!