OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 21:50 
Super User

fazer227 wrote:
ninja10 wrote:
Curl p4

Fast blade with thicker sponge like 1.0 (remember, you just need fast blade for speed on forehand, not for backhand) I've found we'll done the fully chop act. On fast blade, Thicker sponge hold the ball longer, but thinner, ball meet fast blade too quickly then bounce off with less pimples work.

Def blade with thinner sponge 0.5 for more dampening and fully chop. Difference from fast blade, def blade and thin sponge work together (synergy).

All-round blade, is all round , just choose 1.0 or 0.5. Up to you.

1.5 mm curl p4 is not recommend, just go to chop with short pips

It's all about hardness, stiffness and bumping of the ball, How do we manage the equipment to be most effective and most control.

Off blade with thick sponge
-Offensive shot on forehand and backhand
-Able to Mix side spin chop and act more effective.
-create decent spin your own

Def blade with thin sponge
- close the table is more controllable and more effective(returning serve, push, lift, side swipe)
- feel deeper chop act away from table.
- easier chop to place the ball on any position on the table (left, right, middle you can choose )

**But amount of backspin on straight chopping is about the same.**

What sponge thickness works well with Kim Kyung-Ah blade? 0.5mm or 1mm. I am just looking for safe defensive chopping.

I know this is an old post, but I've played with the KKA blade for years. Basically, it's a standard defensive blade with a relatively soft outer ply. Therefore, it makes no difference at all whether you choose .5 or 1mm. Obviously 1mm will give you more spin manipulation while the .5 will provide slightly more control. Again, the issue is training and sticking with whatever you choose. Best of luck.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 02:09 
Chop the Ball not the Beard!
Chop the Ball not the Beard!

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
This is not an old post.
And info about equipament is allways welcome...
Thanks

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 03:24 

Hey !!
I like ur comparison . I am a modern defencer , I have tried out with many long pips ( OX ) and I currently feel I need to try Long pimple with sponge . which pimple I should go for P1r or P4 ? I am currently using All round wood and how much sponge thickness would be good ?

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 03:53 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
prasanna92 wrote:
Hey !!
I like ur comparison . I am a modern defencer , I have tried out with many long pips ( OX ) and I currently feel I need to try Long pimple with sponge . which pimple I should go for P1r or P4 ? I am currently using All round wood and how much sponge thickness would be good ?

Since you are coming from OX, i would say try the smallest sponge with P-1R. It's more passive than P4 and almost feels like OX. If you were coming from inverted, i would say try the grippier P-4.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 04:56 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
prasanna92 wrote:
Hey !!

What Jap said. Plus: why not try the thinnest sponge version of the pip you're using ATM?

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 05:04 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Lorre wrote:
prasanna92 wrote:
Hey !!

What Jap said. Plus: why not try the thinnest sponge version of the pip you're using ATM?

Ah, why didn't I think of that? :headbang:

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2021, 14:42 

Lorre wrote:
BarryB wrote:
So what if I combined the P4 topsheet with the P1R sponge. Do you think this would work and give me the best of both worlds are will it be an awful combination?

Interesting line of thought. The pips are softer and because the sponge is hard, they might disturb the opponent some more. I don't think it would be easier to attack with, though, because the pips are softer. But it's worth a try! ;)

I am used to chopping with anti's ( classic or frictionless ) the same style Joo does and it works. https://youtu.be/PtmcOueKwWw?t=67 ( Perhaps it is not as deceptive but it is easy due to the outstanding control antis provide as most antis excel in that. )

Now I got a 1.5mm curl and I put that on one of the slowest ( high control ) blades out there, Dr. N's Barricade. I was super excited and hopeful about my chop action to be finally like Joo's as now I got his rubber but boy... little I know... My first chop action went so high and that was the moment of truth, this is a different beast and it will take a long time for me to learn/adjust my angles.

As far as I can tell, the reason for this is the difference between the two is the "bounce amount". Antis dampens while Curl bounces and as a result of this, my same chop action/or angle with the curl sends the ball much much higher compared to that of executed by antis ( which are superstop 1.6 or super glanti 1.6 or scandal 0.9 or reflection 1.5 etc...) Even the fact that the curl is on a superslow barricade blade and the others are on a not that slow all-around Chen Weixing blade makes no difference!

My question to you is, would that be OK to replace the sponge underneath the curl 1.5 and put one of those super-dampening german sponges, would that save me from adjusting my angless while still getting the benefits of playing with this legendary rubber at 1.5?

Would that even be ITTF allowed to participate in the tournaments? And two, is it even possible to separate 1.5mm sponge from the top sheet?

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2021, 20:30 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7mm
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
KindButcher wrote:
Lorre wrote:
BarryB wrote:
So what if I combined the P4 topsheet with the P1R sponge. Do you think this would work and give me the best of both worlds are will it be an awful combination?

Interesting line of thought. The pips are softer and because the sponge is hard, they might disturb the opponent some more. I don't think it would be easier to attack with, though, because the pips are softer. But it's worth a try! ;)

I am used to chopping with anti's ( classic or frictionless ) the same style Joo does and it works. https://youtu.be/PtmcOueKwWw?t=67 ( Perhaps it is not as deceptive but it is easy due to the outstanding control antis provide as most antis excel in that. )

Now I got a 1.5mm curl and I put that on one of the slowest ( high control ) blades out there, Dr. N's Barricade. I was super excited and hopeful about my chop action to be finally like Joo's as now I got his rubber but boy... little I know... My first chop action went so high and that was the moment of truth, this is a different beast and it will take a long time for me to learn/adjust my angles.

As far as I can tell, the reason for this is the difference between the two is the "bounce amount". Antis dampens while Curl bounces and as a result of this, my same chop action/or angle with the curl sends the ball much much higher compared to that of executed by antis ( which are superstop 1.6 or super glanti 1.6 or scandal 0.9 or reflection 1.5 etc...) Even the fact that the curl is on a superslow barricade blade and the others are on a not that slow all-around Chen Weixing blade makes no difference!

My question to you is, would that be OK to replace the sponge underneath the curl 1.5 and put one of those super-dampening german sponges, would that save me from adjusting my angless while still getting the benefits of playing with this legendary rubber at 1.5?

Would that even be ITTF allowed to participate in the tournaments? And two, is it even possible to separate 1.5mm sponge from the top sheet?

Hi KindButcher,

I dont think you need to start messing around with changing sponges and removing topsheets. You have come from playing with a low friction anti and have started using a high friction long pimple. In all reality this transition will take time, be patient, you will have to adjust your strokes. High grip pimples need different technique. Look at simple solutions, Train and practice more, be patient and you will slowly adjust your strokes. Even if you use a slower sponge you will still have to adjust for a much high grip pimple. Practice is the key to improving, not changing equipment.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2021, 02:15 
Joo Too
Joo Too

KindButcher wrote:

I never seperated the topsheet of P1-R and the sponge from P1-R, but I guess everything is possible. You might want to buy a P1-R OX.

I stopped following the table tennis scene since the crisis, but before the crisis it was legal to participate with a combined sponge + topsheet.

I think you're struggling with the grip of P1-R. You might want to change the sponge: it might help a little bit, although the sponge of P1-R is already a bit dampening. You'll still have the grippy pips to consider!

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2021, 23:35 

Your analysis of the two rubbers is pretty accurate. The p1r and p4 have similar makeup by different reactions. I think you might find this article about long pips for choppers very interesting:
https://merelytheories.blogspot.com/2021/08/why-do-choppers-use-long-pips.html

It explains why you are seeing the variation in the way the two rubbers work, and helps you understand the pros and cons of each. Then it just comes down to a personal preference I suppose.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2021, 02:38 
Joo Too
Joo Too

force2brw wrote:
Your analysis of the two rubbers is pretty accurate. The p1r and p4 have similar makeup by different reactions. I think you might find this article about long pips for choppers very interesting:
https://merelytheories.blogspot.com/2021/08/why-do-choppers-use-long-pips.html

It explains why you are seeing the variation in the way the two rubbers work, and helps you understand the pros and cons of each. Then it just comes down to a personal preference I suppose.

Your website?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!