OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

How much backspin when chopping loops with plastic balls?
More backspin 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Similar backspin 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
Less backspin 48%  48%  [ 11 ]
Much less backspin 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2015, 22:05 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Konkrete wrote:
Quite a number. The one that, for me, is easily the best is the new Butterfly no star practice ball (although the logo is printed too big). I'm told that there will be two further versions coming through soon inc a 3 star. Butterfly already have a 3 star plastic ball, but it's distinctly different.

Nittaku was the worst in my opinion. I just couldn't deal with the sound it made amongst other issues.

I think that the main problem with the new plastic ball is rigidity, which has probably increased due to breakages. Once manufacturers can develop a less rigid compound but retain durability then the ball should rediscover some of the properties lost to celluloid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You've already tried seamless balls, Konkrete?

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2015, 22:07 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Which Nittaku, the SHA? I heard that ball is utter rubbish.

I tried the Nittaku Premium+ today and I think it's the best plastic ball I've played with, certainly the closest to celluloid.

There's still a difference in backspin - i.e. there's a bit less - but it's just as hard for an attacker to counteract that backspin with a loop. That balances out nicely.

Problem is, I suspect over time, it'll work against choppers. The margins for error are lower because the new ball is easier to drive/slap. At the moment against a lot of players we can often get away with chopping the ball mid-long with a bit of height, especially if there's a lot of backspin on the ball. Now though the plastic ball bounces a bit higher and carries less spin which means length in particularly will be absolutely vital. Get that ball a bit too short and it'll get slapped past you.

I've heard of two top national level players switching from LPs to SPs.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2015, 22:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
dunc wrote:

Wow, I'm surprised to hear you even had two national players playing with LPs :o

I thought the Nittaku SHA was not a bad ball actually...perhaps there are good and bad batches, just like with most of the other plastic balls. :(

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2015, 22:43 

Which two have switched, and to what? That is a dramatic move.

No idea which Nittaku by the way, just that it was a 3 star.

You're right about length, but trajectory after bouncing is a major difference. The further you have to retreat in order to chop the ball at waist hight increases the disadvantage. Your point about lack of spin balancing out is incorrect in my opinion. As a chopper you have no sensible alternative shot other than to accept the lower spin. As an attacker you can drive through the ball, or you can recover your loop advantage by enhancing your equipment with ever faster/spinnier/boosted rubbers in an unlimited arms race. Development of Long pimples are of course deliberately curtailed by the ITTF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More Classic than Modern Defender

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 05:16 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
dunc wrote:
Which Nittaku, the SHA? I heard that ball is utter rubbish.

I tried the Nittaku Premium+ today and I think it's the best plastic ball I've played with, certainly the closest to celluloid.

There's still a difference in backspin - i.e. there's a bit less - but it's just as hard for an attacker to counteract that backspin with a loop. That balances out nicely.

Problem is, I suspect over time, it'll work against choppers. The margins for error are lower because the new ball is easier to drive/slap. At the moment against a lot of players we can often get away with chopping the ball mid-long with a bit of height, especially if there's a lot of backspin on the ball. Now though the plastic ball bounces a bit higher and carries less spin which means length in particularly will be absolutely vital. Get that ball a bit too short and it'll get slapped past you.

totally agree with you
now a days length of chop will be much more important :up:
and for me lower,flatter on the end of table chops are the most dangerous

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 19:35 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
haggisv wrote:
dunc wrote:

Wow, I'm surprised to hear you even had two national players playing with LPs :o

Sorry, I don't mean national like Paul Drinkhall or Liam Pitchford, I mean national league.

I'm going to play a season of national league and local league with the LPs and see what conclusions I come to at the end. I've always wanted an excuse to use SPs but even with the new ball my problem will remain the same (if a little less exaggerated) - need more space to play.

I think LP to SP may be a bit of a dramatic move, possibly just because LP players are feeling hard done to.

Truth is though, despite all of our theorising, I've yet to see anyone say "played 10 league matches with this ball and I performed noticeably worse". I guess that kind of comment will take time though, so let's see what happens in 6-12 months' time.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)