OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2015, 19:21 

Hi everyone
I switched to dark side in april. My dream style is modern defender and i would like to stay about 2 metres or even more at times, depends on the size of the court, and chop and fish. I do ok on the table against slow game as push, chopblock and hit with long pimples. Main problem is i cant block or chopblock the first explosive loop. I have played with P1R,P2 and finally p4 now. they all shine in individual properties but i couldnt manage to effectively chop or block with none of them against the first loop shot :headbang: . I used them all in 1.2mm and p1r0.5 mm also.
Ofcourse this is to do with my technique but i was wondering is there any particular rubber which can be more effective on the table eg. slowish or dampening and still good for mid distance chopping.
i can chop consistently with p4 and p2 . Not so consistent with p1r.
I was thinking of ordering 755 0.6mm or GD talon special 0.5mm
What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance :Defense:

Rasant Powergrip black 2.1

On the dark side since April 2015. Rating 1500 Australia

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2015, 21:36 
Super User

First of all you have to play with ox long pips.
You can also change for some more close to the table friendly pips as Spinlord Dornenglans, Spinlord Agenda pips.

Blade: Dotec Ovtcharov All +

FH: Friendship 802-40 2mm
BH: DMS Transformer 1mm

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2015, 21:47 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Capoblanco wrote:
You can also change for some more close to the table friendly pips as Spinlord Dornenglans, Spinlord Agenda pips.

+1

Dornenglanz ox goes well with Defplay in allround play.

Blocking first slow or medium loops is quite easy with ox pips, but fast loops are quite difficult to block with ox, so chopping is preferable option.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 03:59 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I struggled with the exact same thing. I started wjth p-1r in ox and this was a good compromise at the table and off. Sponged p-1r can be used at the table and you CAN chop block effectively, but it's not ideal. I played with 1.0mm p-1r for the longest and it took me a long time to figure out the close to the table possibilities. P-4 is way too grippy close to the table unless you try to counter topspin... Which is hard. Talon is more for pushblocking and not great at modern d imo.

2 months ago, I would have said p-1r ox or 0.5mm, but since Dornenglanz Ox i have found the perfect compromise between at-the-table and off-the-table defense! It chops well, hits well , passively blocks well, and chop blocks (IMO) better than any other LP. I play it on a defplay and its perfect to me.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Last edited by Japsican on 23 Aug 2015, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 04:04 

If you youtube "dornenglanz" you will see gustaf ericson play modern defense with it, and a youtuber named Mr. Varatio play a chopblocking/pushblocking game. This illustrates it's versatility.

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 04:25 

Oh... One more thing. 755 in ox is damn good and cheap. It chops great and blocks reasonably well. Chop blocks are awesome too. I think it's similar to dornrnglanz but does everything a notch worse, but great value and durability. It hits VERY well too, better than DGz.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 06:51 

Roy wrote:
Capoblanco wrote:

+1

Dornenglanz ox goes well with Defplay in allround play.

Blocking first slow or medium loops is quite easy with ox pips, but fast loops are quite difficult to block with ox, so chopping is preferable option.

I do quite well against slow to medium loops already but the first fast one is the trouble. And coming from inverted ox will be all of a different beast to adjust to. Is 0.5 sponge an option in those rubbers?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 06:53 

Japsican wrote:
Oh... One more thing. 755 in ox is damn good and cheap. It chops great and blocks reasonably well. Chop blocks are awesome too. I think it's similar to dornrnglanz but does everything a notch worse, but great value and durability. It hits VERY well too, better than DGz.

Thanks
Sounds like it might be a go then. If i like it i might go upto Dg with the compromise of hitting. Gotta learn to twiddle i guess

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 13:20 
Super User

MadTurk wrote:
I do quite well against slow to medium loops already but the first fast one is the trouble. And coming from inverted ox will be all of a different beast to adjust to.

Fast loops are problematic to block with any long pips, sponge or not. Ox pips have little control, as the ball hit the wood, sponged pips tend to be harmless to the opponent in blocking (and not that easy either). With inverted it is just much easier to block fast loops safely dangerously.

Best LP players rarely block with their pips, because it's not percentage shot in top level. In lower levels players have lot less mobility, so we have to block lot shots because we stuck in the table (and luckily loops are often not too fast to return).

If you do well blocking "against slow to medium loops already" with sponged pips, you would do propably better against those shots with ox pips. The problem with ox pips is in lacking attacking possibilities, lacking variety and and lacking dampening of hard shots.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 16:31 

Roy wrote:
MadTurk wrote:
I do quite well against slow to medium loops already but the first fast one is the trouble. And coming from inverted ox will be all of a different beast to adjust to.

Fast loops are problematic to block with any long pips, sponge or not. Ox pips have little control, as the ball hit the wood, sponged pips tend to be harmless to the opponent in blocking (and not that easy either). With inverted it is just much easier to block fast loops safely dangerously.

Best LP players rarely block with their pips, because it's not percentage shot in top level. In lower levels players have lot less mobility, so we have to block lot shots because we stuck in the table (and luckily loops are often not too fast to return).

If you do well blocking "against slow to medium loops already" with sponged pips, you would do propably better against those shots with ox pips. The problem with ox pips is in lacking attacking possibilities, lacking variety and and lacking dampening of hard shots.

Thanks Roy
Ultimately we all like to chopblock the loops on the table but when you got caught out its very difficult. I was hoping someone would suggest an Lp with .5 sponge but so it's not only me . I thought if i used an lp with high spin reversal that woul help but sounded good in theory.
I ordered a sheet of 755 0.6, Gd talon special 0.5 and 388d-1 0.5. I will try each with sponge first and take the topsheet of and try in ox. See how i go . I will give an update in a couple of weeks.

In general i dont mind any type of lp. Grippy or not. As long as i can push low against backspin so it doesnt pop up. Sponge preferable but as i said i will give ox a go too.
Thanks for the advise...

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 17:22 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
There are also things like Best Anti/Anti Power/Neo Anti which are relatively OK for the game you mention. Just throwing that out there for consideration.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 19:25 
Super User

MadTurk wrote:
I was hoping someone would suggest an Lp with .5 sponge but so it's not only me . I thought if i used an lp with high spin reversal that woul help but sounded good in theory.
I ordered a sheet of 755 0.6, Gd talon special 0.5 and 388d-1 0.5. I will try each with sponge first and take the topsheet of and try in ox. See how i go . I will give an update in a couple of weeks.

I am not really sponged pip player, but I played lately few times with 755 0.6 and 531 0.6 with my Chen Weixing blade. Blocking went much better than expected and overall play was good. However, all the balls in chopping or in blocking had a tendency to be no spin balls, so with my tecnique I get much more undespin with ox than with semi-slippery pips with thin sponge.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 19:35 

Roy wrote:
MadTurk wrote:
I was hoping someone would suggest an Lp with .5 sponge but so it's not only me . I thought if i used an lp with high spin reversal that woul help but sounded good in theory.

I am not really sponged pip player, but I played lately few times with 755 0.6 and 531 0.6 with my Chen Weixing blade. Blocking went much better than expected and overall play was good. However, all the balls in chopping or in blocking had a tendency to be no spin balls, so with my tecnique I get much more undespin with ox than with semi-slippery pips with thin sponge.

Did you you think Dg and 755 were similar?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 20:00 
Super User

MadTurk wrote:

If they both were ox, they might be quite close. Often there are not that big differences between semi-slippery ox pips, but speed of pip+blade is important. Propably 755 has less disturbance. Usually I can play decently with any ox pips as long it's not too slow or too fast.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 20:05 

Roy wrote:
MadTurk wrote:

If they both were ox, they might be quite close. Often there are not that big differences between semi-slippery ox pips, but speed of pip+blade is important. Propably 755 has less disturbance. Usually I can play decently with any ox pips as long it's not too slow or too fast.

Thanks Roy you have been a great help. Definitely put the seed in my mind about playing with ox...