OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 17:53 
Super User

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a long pimples that has a higher friction. I chop a lot, either close to the table or away from the table.

Which rubbers would be worth trying out and what sponge thickness? I use the joo se hyuk blade.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 18:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
TSP P-1r or P-4 would be among the best ones. Sponge thickness depends on your level, the thicker the sponge the better (for backspin), but it's harder to control.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 20:06 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Feint Long 3 is very similar to P4. Feint Long 2 is also an option, more LP effect, very all round. 1.1 mm is very common but for FL3 and P4 you might want to consider a little thicker sponge.

I use a soft and grippy MP TSP Millitall that I think is very good. Not as much control as P4 or FL3 but much better to change spin and attack with.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 20:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
Another vote for P-4! Great stuff.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 21:50 
Super User

Def-attack wrote:
Feint Long 3 is very similar to P4. Feint Long 2 is also an option, more LP effect, very all round. 1.1 mm is very common but for FL3 and P4 you might want to consider a little thicker sponge.

I use a soft and grippy MP TSP Millitall that I think is very good. Not as much control as P4 or FL3 but much better to change spin and attack with.

Does P4 have a good effect? Does it make it difficult for the opponent to return shots from the P4?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 21:53 

+1
P4

Rasant Powergrip black 2.1

On the dark side since April 2015. Rating 1500 Australia

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 21:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
The advantage of P4 is that it gives you some control. If your opponent knows how to play against LP they know how to play lp :D

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 22:11 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

ridderz65 wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

Does P4 have a good effect? Does it make it difficult for the opponent to return shots from the P4?

FL2 har more spin reversal and LP effect. FL3 and P4 has control over speed and spin as main benefits. Not much LP effect from those.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 22:18 
Super User

Def-attack wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

FL2 har more spin reversal and LP effect. FL3 and P4 has control over speed and spin as main benefits. Not much LP effect from those.

So would I more likely create more weak returns with the FL2? What would suit my style?

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 05:57 
Super User

ridderz65 wrote:

So would I more likely create more weak returns with the FL2? What would suit my style?

If you plan to get weak return by just sending full knukle (no spin) balls with LP, FII would probablty be worse than 979, because it's grippier and would tend to spin the ball more. If you plan to do it varying the spin from slight backspin to no spin using the wrist with LP, then FII (or other grippier pips than 979 such as p1 - p4 - FIII...) will give you more options.

It's, as many others said before, a matter of level of play. At lower levels an ungrippy lp allows you to be more consistent and usually get many easy mistakes from the opponents, but at higher level this doesn't work anymore.
It's also a matter of how you play: if you attack a lot or twiddle you can be very effective even with an "easy" LP

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 06:07 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Good words Rev. Also, how much backspin one can get from chopping with one lp is very individual. If you have a powerful and well timed chop a grippy lp or a SP will return the most back spin. If you have a slightly slower and softer movememt a lp like Dawei 388D will return heavy back spin. And if your chop is more like a chop block a lp without sponge and with little grip will return the most back spin.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 06:48 
Super User

Def-attack wrote:
Good words Rev. Also, how much backspin one can get from chopping with one lp is very individual. If you have a powerful and well timed chop a grippy lp or a SP will return the most back spin. If you have a slightly slower and softer movememt a lp like Dawei 388D will return heavy back spin. And if your chop is more like a chop block a lp without sponge and with little grip will return the most back spin.

Dawei 388D sounds worth trying. Are there others like this? Is it a deceptive LP?

Also what difference does different thickness of sponge make to LP?

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 09:18 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

It's hard for us to tell you what is the best for you. Pick a LP and use it for a few months and see what happens. Over the years I have tried a s*** load of LP. And I find that for my game the TSP P1r in 1.5 sponge works the best.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 10:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes I think you should just try one first, to see how you go. I'm not sure if you fully understand what you're asking, because your topic asks for a high friction long pimple, yet in the discussion you seem to be interested in deception. Usually people equate deception with spin reversal, which you get more with low friction LPs. Of course in reality you can create more deception with high friction LPs, as you can vary the spin more.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 15:31 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Yes I think you should just try one first, to see how you go. I'm not sure if you fully understand what you're asking, because your topic asks for a high friction long pimple, yet in the discussion you seem to be interested in deception. Usually people equate deception with spin reversal, which you get more with low friction LPs. Of course in reality you can create more deception with high friction LPs, as you can vary the spin more.

So essentially deception is usually from low friction pimples? What pimples come under low friction? Any examples?