OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 07:57 
Super User

Hi guys.

I play with the joo se hyuk blade and I feel like low friction LP is the best road to go down for me. Can someone list the low friction LP that have the most reversal? And what thickness sponge would be appropriate for the most reversal but still controllable?
I chop a lot whether I am close to the table or away from the table on my BH. I also side swipe chop some returns. I loop/attack with my FH.
Is there perhaps even a blade out there more suited to my game?

Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 16:04 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
For that blade Dornenglanz would be a good choice, Hellfire and D.Tecs would work as well, Hellfire would provide more control but less reversal and D.Tecs the opposite. If you plan to chop a lot I would recommend Dornenglanz out of those, at least in OX.

Regarding the blade I've found it's really almost 100% up to personal preference, really any defensive blade would work well. Out of those I've tried and liked the most I would recommend them like this based on how they feel.

Stiff, hard and fast - Joo Se Hyuk
Stiff, hard and slow - Nittaku Shake Defence
Stiffish and soft - Victas Koji Matsushita
Flexy and hardish - Donic Defplay

There's a lot of other good blades as well in this category but those are the ones I've tried and liked the most.

EDIT: Regarding the sponge thickness; if you really want maximum reversal OX is the way to go. IMO control with OX vs sponge is largely dependent on the players stroke mechanics, the way you contact the ball and what strokes you're playing the most. If you want to have an easier time at the table and don't feel the need to manipulate spin when chopping, I would recommend OX. If you really want to go all in with the chopping I would recommend sponge, but in that case there are better LP's for that. I think that the type of LP's that you are looking for really plays the best in OX where their strengths are amplified.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 17:13 
Super User

auzcar wrote:
For that blade Dornenglanz would be a good choice, Hellfire and D.Tecs would work as well, Hellfire would provide more control but less reversal and D.Tecs the opposite. If you plan to chop a lot I would recommend Dornenglanz out of those, at least in OX.

Regarding the blade I've found it's really almost 100% up to personal preference, really any defensive blade would work well. Out of those I've tried and liked the most I would recommend them like this based on how they feel.

Stiff, hard and fast - Joo Se Hyuk
Stiff, hard and slow - Nittaku Shake Defence
Stiffish and soft - Victas Koji Matsushita
Flexy and hardish - Donic Defplay

There's a lot of other good blades as well in this category but those are the ones I've tried and liked the most.

EDIT: Regarding the sponge thickness; if you really want maximum reversal OX is the way to go. IMO control with OX vs sponge is largely dependent on the players stroke mechanics, the way you contact the ball and what strokes you're playing the most. If you want to have an easier time at the table and don't feel the need to manipulate spin when chopping, I would recommend OX. If you really want to go all in with the chopping I would recommend sponge, but in that case there are better LP's for that. I think that the type of LP's that you are looking for really plays the best in OX where their strengths are amplified.

Thank you :) which defensive blade that you have tried gives the most reversal?

I mostly chop. So you feel sponge would be better? Which LP would have the most reversal when using sponge? (Low friction LP)? And using the joo se hyuk blade would I be better off using a thinner sponge or 1.0mm or higher?

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 17:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
ridderz65 wrote:
I mostly chop. So you feel sponge would be better? Which LP would have the most reversal when using sponge? (Low friction LP)? And using the joo se hyuk blade would I be better off using a thinner sponge or 1.0mm or higher?

ridderz65: Please re-read carefully what's already been posted in this thread and several others that you started, because your question has been answered in detail more than once, yet you're still asking the same questions. ;)

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 18:06 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:

ridderz65: Please re-read carefully what's already been posted in this thread and several others that you started, because your question has been answered in detail more than once, yet you're still asking the same questions. ;)

Apologies. I think im getting confused. Can you tell me if the joo se hyuk blade has a lot of reversal? And would I be better off using sponge on that blade if my game is chopping? I want reversal. So which has the most reversal LP wise? And am I right that the thicker the sponge the less reversal?
Low friction reversal with sponge is what I want I think. I just need some rubber suggestions for the JSH blade.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 19:07 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
Sponge kills a lot of reversal so if you want to maximize reversal, OX is what you want. The basic rule is that longer dwell time equals less reversal. Sponge is used to give you longer dwell time and ability to put more of your own spin on the ball, but like mentioned you will loose reversal. This means that a hard and stiff blade with an OX LP will give you most reversal.

The Joo blade is just that, hard and stiff, so yes, it will give you good reversal. Don't get alarmed just because sponge LP is "better" for chopping, OX is still plenty good and it comes down to personal preference really. At sub-professional level it's really all about personal preference and there's still a lot of very good players chopping with OX. At lower levels OX is probably a better choice since it's more forgiving once you dial in and because of the reversal you usually get a bit more easy points.

My personal recommendations would be to start with OX, if that feels completely wrong, try with a thinner sponge about 0.5-1.0mm.

I might add that I played with the Joo blade and Dornenglanz OX for a few months last season and I thought it was a very good combination.

EDIT: Take a look at Gustaf Ericson and your worries about chopping with OX should probably disappear, he uses Dornenglanz OX. (If it's not clear from the start he's the guy in the bandana)

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 23:04 
Super User

auzcar wrote:
Sponge kills a lot of reversal so if you want to maximize reversal, OX is what you want. The basic rule is that longer dwell time equals less reversal. Sponge is used to give you longer dwell time and ability to put more of your own spin on the ball, but like mentioned you will loose reversal. This means that a hard and stiff blade with an OX LP will give you most reversal.

The Joo blade is just that, hard and stiff, so yes, it will give you good reversal. Don't get alarmed just because sponge LP is "better" for chopping, OX is still plenty good and it comes down to personal preference really. At sub-professional level it's really all about personal preference and there's still a lot of very good players chopping with OX. At lower levels OX is probably a better choice since it's more forgiving once you dial in and because of the reversal you usually get a bit more easy points.

My personal recommendations would be to start with OX, if that feels completely wrong, try with a thinner sponge about 0.5-1.0mm.

I might add that I played with the Joo blade and Dornenglanz OX for a few months last season and I thought it was a very good combination.

EDIT: Take a look at Gustaf Ericson and your worries about chopping with OX should probably disappear, he uses Dornenglanz OX. (If it's not clear from the start he's the guy in the bandana)

Thank you so much :) I will give it a try! Can you tell me any other LP that have lots of spin reversal? Are there any with more than donenglanz? I'd like to try quite a few to find my favourite. All of them I'll be using on the JSH blade. Should I be trying them all in OX? And does red or black rubber make a difference?
Does Globe 979 have much reversal? I'm using that at the moment so I want to know how much more reversal I can expect with other rubbers.

Thank you :)

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 23:06 
Super User

auzcar wrote:

Also, when playing like the guy in the video, is JSH blade better than all the others?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2015, 03:16 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Personally, I didn't find Dornenglanz the easiest rubber to chop with consistently (found it very unforgiving), though the trajectory was good and low and the spin reversal was decently heavy.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2015, 07:52 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Hi ridderz,

You are asking an absolute question in a world of relativity.

Everything is a trade off. Everyone has different technique, "feel", and expectations. I think you have been steered in pretty much the right sort of direction, but there is no "best blade" and no "best rubbers" for anything.

You should settle on a blade that feels good for YOU and rubbers that feel good for YOU, then practise, practise then practise some more. Maybe even get some coaching. Take videos of yourself in complete games (not just when you are winning or a best of ...) and post them here for constructive criticism. Did I say practise?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2015, 12:51 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
If you ask for more reversal than FL 2, Dornenglanz, or Dtecs,

That leave the choice to “The Now Banned” Dr Neubauer Superblock. :)

No, another White Flag from Me. :)

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2015, 14:11 
Super User

Quote:
Personally, I didn't find Dornenglanz the easiest rubber to chop with consistently (found it very unforgiving), though the trajectory was good and low and the spin reversal was decently heavy.

I thought that too.....

Just as I was ready to ditch DG I thought...what the hell...and tried it on a different blade. Night and day. Not quite DTEC level cut but far better control. Went from a limba outer ply to koto. Beyond night and day. And it's not just the chopping...blocking is fantastic.

To the OP: Unfortunately there are no magic formulas for blade/rubber combos. There are too many variables to control for.....not the least of which is personal taste and "feel."

The Tradesman and I both have used DG....his experience is his experience....and valid in every respect. I have had a different experience and it took some experimenting. Some prefer OX....some swear by sponge. Some like heavy, some prefer light. Some insist on carbon....some balsa...some both. Whatever. That's part of what makes TT so interesting and fun.

Jump in! Take a few of the recommendations offered here and run with them. Experiment. Lighten up...have fun.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2015, 16:04 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Would be curious to know what blade you had and which one you switched to, Treetop.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2015, 23:10 
Super User

Donic Dima.....it's one of the first blades I ever bought....used. I used it for a while with Dtec OX....worked great. Not sure why I quit using it.....

I have probably a dozen blades.....I should throw most of them away.