OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 12:02 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
I'm having big troubles against spinless players as I have a hard time with Talon against spinless opponents. After trying a few rubbers, I ended up picking Pogo on the same blade (Firewall Plus) instead of Talon and I can do a lot more against spinless players than with Talon. Talon has very little control against no spin while Pogo is a great allround pip. It has low disturbing effect but is great to hit and block, with high control for all types of strokes. Tried it against my coach with him pushing and hitting with long pips without any spin and unlike Talon, I could hit and chop with a lot more control than Talon against no spin..

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 13:40 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Is the pogo pips a lot fatter than the Talon ?

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 18:30 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
u should try dawei 388D1, its good vs no spin as well.
i guess most allround pips will be good

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 21:52 

Pushblocker wrote:
I'm having big troubles against spinless players as I have a hard time with Talon against spinless opponents. ...

Why not flip ur racket and push with your inverted against no-spin?

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 22:49 
Super User

Pushblocker: Are these players at your level? Are you planning on using 2 different set ups?

I ask because higher level players that I encounter can no spin me to death OR spin me to death. It's their option.

What about your game do you feel needs to change (if anything) that will allow you to block with your same proficiency and also handle a skilled player sending you no spin?

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 22:50 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

LOOPOVER wrote:
Is the pogo pips a lot fatter than the Talon ?

It is SLOWER than Talon and therefore has more control against no spin.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 22:51 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

garbol wrote:

I have tried D-1 and it is too fast for me on my blade which is fairly fast.

Last edited by Pushblocker on 04 Oct 2015, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 22:55 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

CelestialBoy wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:
I'm having big troubles against spinless players as I have a hard time with Talon against spinless opponents. ...

Pushing will not win me the match against a long pips pusher. I need to win against those types of players by hitting/attacking. I could just use short pips on the backhand for that but my service return with anything but long pios sucks. Pogo is well balanced and works for all strokes. It is the best of all the rubbers that I have tried against no spin.
I don't have the technique with inverted to open up, just to kill the ball if high enough. If the opponent pushes low, i can't hit, even with inverted.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 23:05 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

treetop wrote:
Pushblocker: Are these players at your level? Are you planning on using 2 different set ups?

I ask because higher level players that I encounter can no spin me to death OR spin me to death. It's their option.

What about your game do you feel needs to change (if anything) that will allow you to block with your same proficiency and also handle a skilled player sending you no spin?

What triggered the 2nd setup was a loss to a 1819 player at the LA Open. With the old ball, I never lost to anyone sub 2000 for many years but with the new ball, I have a really hard time against no spin. The 1819 player was a long pips penhold pushblocker..
Inverted players can never produce a truly spinless ball. It is extremely difficult for them. I only need a little bit on the ball. I never saw truly spinless balls from a inverted player.. Low spin does not give me problems, just completely spinless. Especially when playing those inverted players who try to play medium high with low spin, I can beat as I can attack those balls by stepping around and attacking with the forehand. My problem are spinless low balls. I don't have a open up stroke that is consistent, just a kill shot. Not being able to open up, makes it very difficult for me against players who play low and spinless. Against medium high and spinless, I can kill the ball but not against low and deep spinless balls. I can open up with pogo with a stroke similar to playing with sandpaper and I'm a pretty decent sandpaper player. Pogo has decent grip but it is fairly insensitive against incoming spin.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2015, 02:48 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
Pushblocker wrote:
garbol wrote:

eee... pogo is 10% faster than 388D1... (tested on def2)

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2015, 04:07 

Pushblocker wrote:
CelestialBoy wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:

Pushing will not win me the match against a long pips pusher. I need to win against those types of players by hitting/attacking. I could just use short pips on the backhand for that but my service return with anything but long pios sucks. Pogo is well balanced and works for all strokes. It is the best of all the rubbers that I have tried against no spin.
I don't have the technique with inverted to open up, just to kill the ball if high enough. If the opponent pushes low, i can't hit, even with inverted.

What he means is push heavy-ish with the inverted which they will reverse into a relatively easier to work topspin. You don't have to kill it either but it gets you back into "spin".

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2015, 04:10 

garbol wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:
garbol wrote:

There is some qa inconsistency in many chinese pips, but from what I can in his videos pushblocker mostly pushes in a very specific way (low throw, mostly passive or forward a bit) you also need to evaluate that one shot for speed. I also suspect he sometime doesn't quite use a pip straight out of the package because I couldn't replicate the stopblocks he was getting with similar equipment.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2015, 04:50 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Pushblocker wrote:
treetop wrote:

What triggered the 2nd setup was a loss to a 1819 player at the LA Open. With the old ball, I never lost to anyone sub 2000 for many years but with the new ball, I have a really hard time against no spin. The 1819 player was a long pips penhold pushblocker..
Inverted players can never produce a truly spinless ball. It is extremely difficult for them. I only need a little bit on the ball. I never saw truly spinless balls from a inverted player.. Low spin does not give me problems, just completely spinless. Especially when playing those inverted players who try to play medium high with low spin, I can beat as I can attack those balls by stepping around and attacking with the forehand. My problem are spinless low balls. I don't have a open up stroke that is consistent, just a kill shot. Not being able to open up, makes it very difficult for me against players who play low and spinless. Against medium high and spinless, I can kill the ball but not against low and deep spinless balls. I can open up with pogo with a stroke similar to playing with sandpaper and I'm a pretty decent sandpaper player. Pogo has decent grip but it is fairly insensitive against incoming spin.

Yup.
It's a whole new ball game with the poly ball ( please excuse pun ).

The world now spins on a different axis!

All reviews should now be quantified as to what balls were used.

What fascinates me is the amount of old boys who say they don't notice any difference???
I see them making poly ball type mistakes and they think their game is off - quite amazing!

Good luck with your new set up Pushy, Pogo is a good rubber!

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2015, 05:32 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

garbol wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:
garbol wrote:

There are 2 versions of 388d-1.. the regular and the quattro version. They are quite different.. it's not just the sponge. The quattro topsheet is softer and faster.. I tried the quattro version. The regular version had a trajectory that was too high..the quattro version had a very low trajectory.

Last edited by Pushblocker on 05 Oct 2015, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2015, 05:36 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Robot Blocker wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:
treetop wrote:

Yup.
It's a whole new ball game with the poly ball ( please excuse pun ).

The world now spins on a different axis!

All reviews should now be quantified as to what balls were used.

What fascinates me is the amount of old boys who say they don't notice any difference???
I see them making poly ball type mistakes and they think their game is off - quite amazing!

Good luck with your new set up Pushy, Pogo is a good rubber!

I might still try other setups but I like the way I can hit with it.. It's very similar stroke to using hardhat or sandpaper..
Against players that have spin (90% of all players), I will still use Talon..

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!