OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 04 May 2024, 14:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Rolling
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 10:37 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Does anyone know of any online video demonstrating "rolling." I'd like to add that shot to my repitroire.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 10:41 
Super User

What LP are you going to use for rolling. I without being to boastful are a bit of a gun with this shot. As I started with Mid Pips and spend hours multiballing to learn the backhand roll I could advise.

I am going to film myself playing my best shots this week I did the trial last night and my still camera does OK in movie mode. So I am on to it.

Greggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 10:55 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Hi Greggy,

Thanks for your help. I'm currently using Super Block (for two-and-a-half more months) then moving to Gorilla or one of the less grippy approved LPs. I also recently switched back to Pistol on the forehand.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 10:56 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
that would be awesome Greggy. Also you might try checking out one of Kees short pips articles, I think he describes the shot in there.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 11:49 
Super User

I am not sure if low grip rubbers do this at or at least well. You need to be able to grap the ball with the rubber so you roll it upwards.

here is I play the shot.

First step in, stay low with your arm parallel to the table, stay low pull you wrist back towards your body and slightly down using just your wrist roll upwards and away from your body, stay low still until you have finished your shot. I try to leave being over the table still low to the surface. If at any point you stand up in the shot you racket angle with change and point down and the ball will fall into the net. If the ball is very choppy drop your blade angle more open, if the ball is no spin or top spin close the blade.

Gregg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 12:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
How solid a contact do yuo make, Greggy? Do you dig the ball into the rubber a little, or make very light contact to more or less return the spin?

Yes some vids would be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 13:55 
Super User

I would describe it as a light brush if I am well over the table, as I get further back I hit more into the ball.

The Chinese describe this shot as " bounce against wall " or a translation close like you were a throwing a ball against a wall, your blade is the wall. Sounds strange but is a nice to think like that.

I am currently working on rolling over the table, then hitting if the ball is a bit high and over the table, and if the ball is a little bit longer but still over table rolling but new plan if off edge of table rolling loop thing not trying to whack it, which I normally do, this whack is only 30% successful. So I need to work on a safe but unpleasant return for this longer shot to my BH LP, If the ball is much longer I will chop.

I have a new saying over the table 100% on, just off edge 90% on but if I attack a ball just a bit longer 0% on.

Gregg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 17:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Cheers Gregg!

I've always thought of a roll as a light touch to pretty much return the spin, and something done only closer in... not sure if there is a formal descritpion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2008, 02:02 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Yes Greggy I would be very interested to see how you execute this shot on video. I have been practising something a bit similar which is an attacking shot off the BH pips. I also would only use it fairly close in and when the ball has no spin or topspin mainly. I had described it as a punch block, but it may be more of a roll as I do tend to roll the wrist through the shot.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2008, 06:59 
Super User

Normally a roll is just that, an upwards rolling motion and as you get more aggressive then it turns into a upward flick. This shot is best against chop, the pips grab the ball and the ball bites into the pips and you can almost catch the ball and roll or flick it back. For no spin or top spin you have to brush almost the top of the ball more like a loop because the ball will not grab into the pips. I do a exercise with one coach where she chops to my LP BH I chop block the first one then she chops it back and I roll the next one, and we start again. If you try to chop block 2 in a row it is very hard. Chop block is dome with a closed blade and you push forward down on the ball as it is rising off the bounce roll or flick is done with a forward and upward motion anywhere from a rising ball, early the better for surprise, to at top of bounce but gets less reliable as the ball gets up higher. Bit I love to flick the high ball very hard if it has lots of chop on it, it goes on more than it should all my coaches tell me off for this as it is really a low percentage shot and Defenders need high percentage shots to be good, but I love this shot. Even Paul Pinkewick told me put that shot away and you would be a mush better player. But I really can not I just need to play it less often and get it more on.

Gregg

PS Have already started to practice with video I should have some vids by Monday, I will try to shot my coaching session tomorrow with Chinese coach

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2008, 07:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Cheers Gregg!