OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 01:04 
Comeback Chopper

Pipsy wrote:
birding&table.tennis wrote:

In my younger days, as a member of the Canadian team, I used antispin on my backhand. To the best of my memory, my backhand chops in those days were much easier to play against than my P1R chops today. Nowadays, I am really amazed at what is possible with P1R with the thickest sponge. For me, it is a very special feeling do perform these heavy chops. It is something that I thought I would never be able to do after returning to table tennis four years ago.

Steven

Hey Steven, nice to hear from you again!

Yesterday I shortly experimented with Tibhar Ellen Antispin (1.5) on BH. And then the differences with Curl P1r become clear. With this antispin rubber (designed for for chopping) it was a little easier to chop back loops with a good pace and good depth. Blocking was easier too. But... the variation in my strokes was clearly less. So was the amount of backspin against loops. I think it was overall easier for my opponents to play against and I felt that I had less 'options' in my defence. Will give the anti a try again though...

So, I wouldn't say you can't manipulate the spin in a desirable way at the middle level we are playing. Maybe it's different at a top level.

Pipsy,

I wish that I had time to post more often on the forum. I feel that I learn a lot more from the forum than I contribute. My university has one week off for Thanksgiving, and I am caught up on work-related deadlines, so I am taking advantage of the break by posting to the forum.

Thanks for your comment. I am learning a lot from you and others in their responses to my initial post.

My memories of Toni Hold antispin match your description of antispin. When chopping, the antispin would remove much of the topspin, and the variation in the amount of backspin I could make was much less than with P1R. I would not intentionally try to increase the amount of backspin with the antispin, as I do now with P1R.

I would enjoy trying antispin again, both for comparison to P1R and for nostalgia, but no one at my club uses it.

Steven

--------------
Returned to table tennis September 2011
Canada National Team Member, 1973-1975
--------------
1972-1987
Brickell Balsa/Birch 3-ply Blade
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm
Joola Toni Hold AntiTopspin 2.5mm

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 04:48 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Well, it's certainly possible to remove the topspin with P1-R. Just counter or passive block an incoming topspin ball. However, I think at a certain rotation it isn't possible anymore to annihilate that rotation. I call that "remainder reversal".

When chopping it is also possible to do this. Just don't use any wrist action when chopping.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2015, 01:06 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
birding&table.tennis wrote:
Japsican wrote:
Which all begs the question: why is the zeitgeist amongst choppers that one needs sponge to get to the higher levels? It sounds like we are in agreement that the spin manipulation and variation is greatly exaggerated...but ox LPs should be viable to a high level. Yet it sounds like many people suggest that Ox chopping isnt.

Japsican,

From reading, and not from experience with different thickness sponges, it seems that there are two primary advantages of a thicker sponge on rubbers like P1R. These are (1) that the pips will bend more, which leads to a large surface area of the topsheet that is in contact with the ball, and (2) the dwell time increases. Both result in a greater amount of backspin. However, I have never see this quantified, i.e. such as a percentage increase in the rotation rate due to a thicker sponge. It would be interesting to find out how much additional spin can be generated with a thicker sponge.

My reason for using the thickest sponge on P1R is simply that Joo and Seo use the thickest sponge, and I am very pleased with the results when I use it.

Steven

My understanding of sponge thickness on LPs is...

Thinner sponge = more reversal
Thicker sponge = less reversal, more ability to generate spin

On a chop, this won't make too much difference. The .5mm sponge on P1-R will get more backspin (from reversal) on a first chop than the 1.5mm sponge.

On a push however, the thicker sponge gives you the opportunity to either "dig in" and play a light backspin push (vs. backspin) or roll the ball off the pimples to get float/reversal on the push.

In Joo's interview, if you remember, he said that he "very rarely" varied spin on his chops but implied that he did use variation on the push. Against some of his opponents I think it's this variation which stops them from lashing the ball past him.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)