OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 21:37 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
tnx,

have you tried chop blocking? thats my technique, i rarely block passively...viper could be good for that if you say its softer and have higher grip...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2016, 02:44 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Tried the Viper Soft OX on a Smart blade last night for the first time (only got the chance to use it for about 1/2 hr., so not long enough to get great sense yet), and it seemed like a very dynamic rubber, enabling lots of disturbing shots, especially when attacking, but I also had the experience that passive blocking on spinny loops (which I can do pretty consistently with my usual setup) doesn't work (though, perhaps, I need to close my blade angle more than the 90 degree angle I normally use), and I need to chop block to keep the ball on the table. This is frustrating because while I can certainly chop-block, I find chop-blocking to be inherently more error-prone than passive blocking, especially on fast loops, as the timing is so crucial. I might get the chance to play a bit more tonight and will see if I can make any progress in figuring this out.

(I cannot compare the Viper Soft to the regular Viper because I haven't used the regular version, as I prefer very soft long pips.)

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2016, 15:33 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

I had more of a chance to try the Viper Soft OX on my Smart blade tonight and both practiced and played many games against a 2100 two-winged looper against whom I usually win about a third of the time, though it's been edging closer to 50/50 of late. I played some games with the Viper Soft OX on Smart combo and other games with my main usual setup (Snowflake OX on S&T Firestarter). I found the Viper Soft to be great for chopping away from the table, with a VERY low trajectory and lots of backspin. The Viper Soft was also great for aggressive pushing against backspin and other kinds of attacking. I found I could generate great pace and a nasty trajectory with many of my attacking shots. On the other hand, for blocking at the table, I found my regular setup to be far superior. It's certainly possible that my greater familiarity with my usual paddle is a factor here, but I just could not consistently land the ball on the table in blocking my opponent's fast and spinny loops when I used the Smart/Viper Soft combo. I tried both passive blocking and chop-blocking, and the ball still often sailed long. My next thought is to try the Viper Soft on my stiffer, harder Firestarter blade and see if I can get better results that way. I'd be curious to hear about the experiences of anyone else who's tried this rubber, though.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2016, 16:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks TraditionalTradesman! :up: :up: :up:
I changed from Dtecs to Viper (not the soft version), also on a Smart blade, and the greatest benefit of the Viper is that it was easier to block with, and it takes the pace off better. The Viper is still a relatively soft LP, so this might work better for you than the Viper Soft.
If the Viper Soft is even softer, it might be that the pips are just too soft to take off the pace, so the balls are getting a more direct bounce off the blade, resulting in landing them long.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2016, 01:09 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

haggisv wrote:
I changed from Dtecs to Viper (not the soft version), also on a Smart blade, and the greatest benefit of the Viper is that it was easier to block with, and it takes the pace off better. The Viper is still a relatively soft LP, so this might work better for you than the Viper Soft.
If the Viper Soft is even softer, it might be that the pips are just too soft to take off the pace, so the balls are getting a more direct bounce off the blade, resulting in landing them long.

You may be right, Haggis, though the Snowflake I regularly use is the softest LP I've ever tried, and I have no problem on blocks with it, which is why I think a softer rubber paired with a stiffer blade may do the trick. I'm curious what you and others will think if you try the Viper Soft, but it's also possible this may be a technique issue where I'm taking the ball off the bounce at a 90 degree angle (or sometimes a bit later if I'm chop-blocking as opposed to passive blocking), and maybe I need to be doing something else with this combo. I think I'll wait to hear what others say when they try the Viper Soft, but I'm a bit hesitant to move to the regular Viper because I really prefer soft LPs for the greater dynamism, funky effects and better off-the-table chopping ability they generally offer.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2016, 06:59 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

I saw this review of the Viper Soft OX on a Stiga Allround Classic Carbon blade on a French forum (http://forum.tennis-de-table.com/t/dr-n ... ft/4784/23). I'll copy it here in French, so that anyone who's fluent can translate it if they want:

Quote:
J'ai testé hier le Viper soft en ox avec des balles C sur mon bois stiga allround classic carbon et je suis vraiment extrêmement déçu par ce picot.

En bloc, il est facile mais n'inverse pas du tout, même quand je faisais un bloc coupé, mes adversaires pouvaient facilement re toper dessus 4/5/6 fois ! J'ai rarement vu un picot avec aussi peu de gêne ! On peut gagner des points en début de set car l'adversaire se fait avoir pas la non inversion d'effet (il est arrivé souvent qu'après mon bloc, l'adversaire sorte la balle). De plus si l'adversaire rentre fort dans la balle, il faut avoir une bonne inclinaison de la palette sinon ça sort.

Pour le service picot, impossible d'en faire un gênant.

Le seul point positif est qu'on peut agresser facilement avec et faire des démarrages qui sont plus ou moins gênant.
Les picots sont à mon avis trop souples et avec la balle plastique ça risque d'être un calvaire !

Pas testé en défense loin de la table.

Je vends le mien, il est en 0x noir Longueur 15,7 cm et largeur 15 cm sur sa feuille autocollante 25€ FDPI. Me contacter par MP.

I never formally studied French but have picked up enough over the years to get the gist. The idea is that this guy found there to be absolutely no spin reversal on passive blocks and none on chop blocks either. (I disagree with the part about chop blocks, as did someone who responded to this guy on the French forum.) He found the rubber to be not at all disturbing, and saw its attacking abilities as its main positive point (with which I'd agree). He didn't try chopping away from the table (which, as I said, I did, and I think the rubber is very good for that). The guy who responded to this guy in the forum said that he did try chopping, and he thought the Grass D.Tecs was still better for that.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 23:46 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
As you can see by my Blade profiles I now have a Dr Neubauer Viper Soft red OX on the BH of one of my setups.
I will give it a good hit out on this coming Saturday afternoon then report back on how it went for me. :clap: :rock:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 10:58 

Played with Viper Soft at the club last night for the first time. I have been using the regular Viper for the last few months as my primary pip. Both pips were used on a custom 2-speed blade made by Charlie Smith of Blades By Charlie. The backhand has a very hard black walnut outer veneer.

I was having good success with Viper but was intrigued by the softer pips and the possibility of adding more spin away from the table while maintaining the ability to attack. Based on my first impressions and feedback from my club mates, Viper Soft provides more flexibility for my game.

The attacking ability seems to be vastly improved compared to the previous version as I was landing more shots. I had more confidence and was able to utilize attacks more frequently. Speed on attacks was good but that is also the case for me with the regular Viper. Opponents remarked that the increased attacking capability of the Soft version made my game more dangerous.

Service return seems to be similar to Viper, fairly spin insensitive, as I did not have to make any adjustments. Spin reversal was only marginally less than Viper on passive blocks but I experienced a different behavior which did cause some trouble for my opponents. The amount of spin reversal seemed to vary and included some no spin returns. Perhaps the hard surface of the blade is factoring into the spin reversal.

Blocks were very controlled and had the same low trajectory as the Viper. Overall speed was slightly slower. I also had better control on blocks when I was out of position and could not take the ball off the bounce. Control was improved on all types of shots and I was also more consistent landing balls near the end line forcing some awkward returns.

Chopping at mid-distance did carry more spin as advertised although this is a fairly new part of my game. Chop blocks were also easier for me to control with more spin than the Viper.

Needless to say, I am very excited about Viper Soft. The regular Viper is a very good pip but Soft looks like it fits me much better.

Hopefully my first impressions will be lasting! :)

BTW, our club has a good number of OX pip players with a few above the USTTA 2000 mark. The core are in the 1700-1800 range. The club president is 1800+ with LPs (sponged) on both sides and mainly attacks! Most players have quite a bit of experience playing against pips. One of my club mates who usually handles my pips without too much difficulty (including the regular Viper) struggled against the Viper Soft last night.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 01:42 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

After finding the Viper Soft OX bad for passive blocking on the Smart blade, I decided to try putting it on my old Reimpact Hydra blade. I tried it out briefly yesterday. Seemed much more controlled from some brief practice against a 2100 penhold looper (blocks stayed low and short and had sufficient reversal to be unpleasant to deal with, and chopping was very good, but chopping was good with the Smart blade as well), but I'll need more time to see how it pans out. Maybe will have a chance to practice a bit more on Sunday.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 00:45 
My Precious

Gollum wrote:
As you can see by my Blade profiles I now have a Dr Neubauer Viper Soft red OX on the BH of one of my setups.
I will give it a good hit out on this coming Saturday afternoon then report back on how it went for me. :clap: :rock:

Both of my blades are Re-Impact Smarts & so far during the 2 sessions I’ve practised with the Viper Soft the difference between it & the Viper have been minor. It’s a bit slower so it gives even more control, passive blocking I found to work very well giving great returns low over the net with deceptive placement, great against top-spin. There seems to be good spin reversal on heavy backspin with chop-blocking. I still have to practise more with my more attacking shots but with some working very well but more not working yet more work required. :up: :n:
Due to the fact that the Viper has worked so very well for me & I find them very similar a lot more practise is required before I decide to make it my main setup or not.
It’s a very interesting rubber; they both are, giving very good deceptive results while playing.
I will keep you informed on my journey. :?: :^)

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 01:12 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

I tried the Viper Soft OX last night on the Reimpact Hydra blade (where I found passive blocking to be more controlled than on the Reimpact Smart). I practiced with a 2300+ looper and had him loop to my backhand. I used this setup and then switched to my regular S&T Firestarter + GD Snowflake OX setup to compare and make sure I wasn't imagining things.

What I found was that while chopping is great with the Viper Soft OX, passive blocking isn't. The ball regularly sails long on strong loops, whereas with the Snowflake on my Firestarter blade, it stays low. Chop blocks work well; it's just passive blocks -- holding the blade at about 90 degrees and taking the ball early off the bounce -- that I find ineffective. Perhaps it's something about my technique, if others are getting different results with the same setup, but if my technique is the issue, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, as I have no similar issue with my regular setup.

It's also possible that this might be the non-linear rebound off of balsa, which the Reimpact blades use. I will try the Viper Soft on the Firestarter at some point to compare.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 14:07 
Super User

TraditionalTradesman wrote:
It's also possible that this might be the non-linear rebound off of balsa, which the Reimpact blades use....

oh yes, you need to put in a lot of hours to get used to those thick balsa blades.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 

Just a quick update. I have already lost my first pip and others look weak at the base after having the rubber only two weeks. It was not used heavily, one night at the club and a few sessions on the robot. I very rarely lose pips. Perhaps I got a bad sheet but maybe the softer pimples aren't as strong?? :^) Did not have this issue with the regular Viper.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016, 08:33 

Contacted Dr Neubauer and they are sending a replacement sheet. Great customer service!! :) Carsten noted that they have not had any reports of broken pips. I am looking forward to a lot more playing time with the Viper Soft.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016, 23:57 
My Precious

I have now had another 3 sessions with the Viper Soft & as stated before the differences between my main setup using the Viper are only minor. But at this stage the Soft for me has been unpredictable which in some cases has been good but also some cases would have been disastrous in competition. :up: :n:
At this point in time I will keep my main setup with the Viper :*: but experiment more with the Soft because if I can work out the differences the added deception will be an interesting plus for my TT journey. 8) :clap:
What I need is much more practise. ;) ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!