OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2016, 06:36 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
I tried out the regular Viper OX (not Viper Soft) on the Smart blade today, and it was a world of difference. I practiced blocking and chopping with my coach, who is >2500 U.S. Unlike the Viper Soft, the blocks were very controlled and passive blocking actually worked. The trajectory was not as low as with my GD Snowflake on the Firewall blade, but there were some nasty balls and aggressive pushing was better than with my regular setup. Chops weren't bad either, though not as low as with the Viper Soft. My conclusion is that it's not my technique; it's the rubber. The regular Viper OX is just much better than Viper Soft OX on blocks, at least with these Reimpact blades, though if you're going to be using an OX rubber for chopping, Viper Soft is actually very good.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2016, 15:36 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
TraditionalTradesman wrote:
I tried out the regular Viper OX (not Viper Soft) on the Smart blade today, and it was a world of difference. I practiced blocking and chopping with my coach, who is >2500 U.S. Unlike the Viper Soft, the blocks were very controlled and passive blocking actually worked. The trajectory was not as low as with my GD Snowflake on the Firewall blade, but there were some nasty balls and aggressive pushing was better than with my regular setup. Chops weren't bad either, though not as low as with the Viper Soft. My conclusion is that it's not my technique; it's the rubber. The regular Viper OX is just much better than Viper Soft OX on blocks, at least with these Reimpact blades, though if you're going to be using an OX rubber for chopping, Viper Soft is actually very good.

"TraditionalTradesman" On reflection at this stage I completely agree with your findings. :up: So in completion I will stay with the Viper but I will also keep doing some training with the Soft as I have an extra blade I use for this sort of thing to see whether I can master both to add to my deception when & if needed ;)

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2016, 18:59 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
i am reading it all and have only one question...

how is the rubber behaving in an active chop block near the table...because of its grip and softness, when you perform heavy chop block on a spin, does that ball now have a heavy underspin, comparable to DG or HF(hellfire)?

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2016, 23:15 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Active chop-blocking with the Viper Soft did return heavy underspin. The problem is that your margin for error is pretty low because of the dynamic rebound off of this rubber when you're facing strong loops. In another words, on a fast loop, if you didn't chop-block the ball at the exact right moment and angle, you'd lose it, either long or into the net. Again, this is on the Smart blade and Hydra blade, which are both balsa (it was more controlled on the thinner Hydra). It's possible that with a stiffer blade, you'd get more control, and if I get a chance to try the Viper Soft on my S&T Firestarter, I'll report back.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2016, 07:53 
Super User

i see...tnx...please report hos is with another blade then...

it looks promising anyway though...i am searching for a slower substitute for DG, and so far there was only Hellfire...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2016, 14:58 

Hi Guys,

Following is a preliminary review of the Dr.Neubauer Viper Soft OX sample given by Carsten. Thanks Carsten!

Since I haven't got a training partner at this stage nor a robot machine for a proper test, instead, I decided to use a coaching method by self dropping balls on table and have a go with various LP strokes to see at least how the rubber performs. The blade I am using is the newly released Dr.Neubauer World Champion Carbon, probably OFF- to OFF speed.

Preliminary Findings:

To my surprise, it is a very promising all-round LP. Very easy to master and get used to. It is much more dynamic and live when compared to the previous Dr.Neubauer LPs and even its predecessor, Viper OX. It excels in attacking and chopping without sacrificing control and consistency while keeping basic deception!

If you take a look at two of my Prelim tests, all LP strokes I demonstrated, whether its in pen-hold or shake-hand, its very easy to perform and execute. The beauty is when you attack, it seldom goes to net!

I have been looking for an alternative for DTecs OX, which I have been using for years. In some areas, its a bit disappointing. Dr.Neubauer Viper Soft OX could be an alternative choice.

My style of play is to use LP OX to block, away from table chop and BH hit to setup subsequent FH attack. I am not too much concerned about amount of reversal spin generated when chop block as it doesn't mean much when playing against good loopers. As long as it is all-round with control, able to attack and chop with minimal deception, that is good enough. Well, this is just my personal opinion. I still have to put it into real game to conclude Viper Soft OX lives up to its expectation. So far, its quite promising!

Prelim Test #1 in pen-hold:

Prelim Test #2 in shake-hand:

Thanks for Sharing!
:) :) :)

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2016, 20:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Very nice review, thanks pingpongstephen! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 00:02 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Thankyou "pingpongstephen" I have enjoyed your analysis on the Viper Soft. Initially the Viper was working better for me but the more I practise with Soft the more I am warming to it. :^) :up:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 11:48 

Thanks Hassiv and Gollum for your appreciation. I did try the Dr.Neubauer Viper OX before. However, I felt its a kind of slow and lack of speed in attacking. Blocking seems OK. Therefore, I went back to keep using Tibhar Grass DTecs OX.

Now, I have tried the new Dr.Neubauer Viper Soft OX. It looks a bit different, more dynamic and live. Though I feel its an all-round LP, its not just an ordinary all-rounder. I believe its even better than the Dr.Neubauer No.1 OX. At least, it attacks well and away from table chop in a lower trajectory. Furthermore, control and consistency are pretty good too!

I played Viper Soft OX last week in a club vs an long-time rival. I was using World Champion Carbon blade and new Dr.Neubauer Speed Domination 2, all new combo! I was able to beat him 3-1. He is a pen-hold LP OX top NSW veteran player, always on the attacking side with great foot-work. He uses Phantom 007 OX as a weapon to chop-block and FH attack. I managed to chop, hit and block and FH counter attack. So, Viper Soft OX shows promising!

The new Dr.Neubauer World Champion Carbon doesn't seem to have much difference with the old World Champion blade and the 1.8 mm Speed Domination 2 is a bit of slow. I still need to try a few FH rubbers to make sure there is no degradation in affecting the Viper Soft OX performance!

Well, bye for now and will keep you guys posted!
:) :) :) PingpongStephenTai

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2016, 00:29 
Super User

Has anybody Tried the 0,6 for a chopping game ?
I use Dtechs 0,5 at the moment but would Like better hitting abilities.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2016, 05:18 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
ok i read all posts... but still i dont know is viper soft OX a good replacement for dornenglanz
viper soft OX some questions:
1. is trajectory low?
2. is backspin high after topspin in mid distance chopping?
3. is it slow / fast? compare to some popular pips?
4. can u tell a similar pip to viper soft OX?

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2016, 05:59 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

garbol wrote:
ok i read all posts... but still i dont know is viper soft OX a good replacement for dornenglanz
viper soft OX some questions:
1. is trajectory low?
2. is backspin high after topspin in mid distance chopping?
3. is it slow / fast? compare to some popular pips?
4. can u tell a similar pip to viper soft OX?

1. For me (at least on the Re-impact Smart blade), the trajectory on chops was low, while the trajectory on blocks wasn't.
2. In mid-distance chopping, the backspin was quite high for an OX pip. On passive blocks, I didn't find there to be much reversal. On chop-blocks there was good backspin, however.
3. Some might disagree, but I'd say it's on the faster side, at least among the many pips I've tried.
4. From among the rubbers I've used, the Joola Badman would come the closest. It's a similarly dynamic rubber, but the Badman was a bit better for blocking, a bit worse for chopping. The Viper Soft OX was great at attacking.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 06:43 
Super User

wrr... next seasion coming soon..
and im dont know what to choose.. hellfire or viper soft
can u compare it?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 07:45 
Super User

if you are down to only two, buy both, mate, and then see which suits you better :up:

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 06:29 
Super User

gimme me back my money now.. :(
i bought viper soft OX after reading all reviews here
and i played it

its similar to dawei 388D1 in look and in play and viper is 4 time more expensive
not worth that moeny!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!