OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 05:09 
Super User

Hi guys,
I just want to make sure I'm going along the right track here.
I've been using Curl P1-R on a Joo blade. That's fine. I know the P1-R excels at chopping modern defence.

I'm going to purchase a Victas Koji Matshusita Offensive blade to try along with some other long pimples. I know the VKMO is similar to the Joo but with the potential of slightly better control.

What I wanted to ask was, which of the long pimples out there particularly excel at chopping? Which long pimples are primarily chopping modern defence long pimples? I want to try a few long pimples that excel at chopping and it's not easy to find them.

I have used P1-R and Hellfire. Both good. But I want to try others. I was going to try Globe 979 and Dawei 388d-1. Would I be on the right track? I've come up with these two to try from reading extensive threads.

Anyone got any other suggestions for what I'm looking for? Or have I covered the ones worth trying?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 05:14 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Butterfly Feint II, Feint III
TSP P1-R, P4
Donic Spike P1, Spike P2, Piranja TEC
Tibhar DTecs
Joola Octopus

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 06:42 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
What is best for you depends on your technique. If you have a heavy chop with fast movement so that you can add spin (bat is moving faster than the ball is spinning at ball contact) a grippy LP is best. If you have a lighter movement a less.grippy is better since that won't stop the ball's rotation as much. Than it depends on how the pips snap back after they have been bent at ball contact. For me, Dawei 388D gives huge back spin back because that rubber and pips stiffness suits my swing good. P1-r did not suit me at all.
But enormous back spin is just one parameter. Speed, placement (precision), arc, control, feeling, are others. And how it works for service returns and close to the table is important, if you never get to a chopping game there is no use for a good chopping rubber :)

PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 13:13 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
GD LP Cropcircles OX chops with heavy spin both close to the table and off the table. I use a chop block technique for both.

I will be testing Globe LP 979 OX within 2 weeks.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 21:46 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Ridderz, all of the rubbers Lorre posted will work and are the standards for best chopping rubbers. DefAttack gave you a perfect synopsis of the qualifiers that might affect your choice.

But one question: are you OX chopping or using sponge? For OX, DG is the best IMO for both passive and active play.

Also, for sponged chopping, cheaper alternatives are just as good: 388d (as mentioned), Neptune, cloud and fog 3, 755, etc. Just a matter of adjusting. Personally, with sponge, I am all about P-1R....been using it too long. Had I started with the cheaper alternatives I bet I'd be just as used to and effective with them, but with more money in the bank.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 05 May 2016, 03:33 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
Ridderz, all of the rubbers Lorre posted will work and are the standards for best chopping rubbers. DefAttack gave you a perfect synopsis of the qualifiers that might affect your choice.

But one question: are you OX chopping or using sponge? For OX, DG is the best IMO for both passive and active play.

Also, for sponged chopping, cheaper alternatives are just as good: 388d (as mentioned), Neptune, cloud and fog 3, 755, etc. Just a matter of adjusting. Personally, with sponge, I am all about P-1R....been using it too long. Had I started with the cheaper alternatives I bet I'd be just as used to and effective with them, but with more money in the bank.

I have always chopped with sponge, typically between 0.9 and 1.1mm. I've used Hellfire and P1-R this season.
I wanted to know which long pimples particularly excel at chopping because thats what I do. I chop away from the table and use a chop or push when close in to the table.
I have a good attack on the FH and win a lot of points from my powerspin play. I use the pimples to set up my attack, and I use a modern defence chopping game when I'm under attack.
I guess I want a LP with good control when chopping and pushing, but still gives the opponent a lot of trouble. Like I want something that will help to set up my FH when I'm pushing the ball around the table with my pimples, but I also want something that will cause trouble to players who end up attacking/looping me. So I want something I can chop back their loops consistently which will make them not be able loop after the 2/3/4 chop.

PostPosted: 05 May 2016, 04:35 
Super User

When you talk about the Dawei 388d. Do you mean the 388d or the 388d-1?

PostPosted: 06 May 2016, 00:17 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

ridderz65 wrote:

For distance chopping 388D (smooth pips) is the best. For blocking 388D-1 (rough pips) is the best.

PostPosted: 06 May 2016, 02:12 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Def-attack wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:

For distance chopping 388D (smooth pips) is the best. For blocking 388D-1 (rough pips) is the best.

DA, if I recall correctly, you didn't use the stock sponge correct?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 06 May 2016, 02:40 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Japsican wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:

DA, if I recall correctly, you didn't use the stock sponge correct?

Correct. I used a softer sponge. But if I were to try it now, I'm not sure... at that time I wanted slow pip. Now I would be able to use a faster I think.

PostPosted: 06 May 2016, 20:06 
Super User

Lorre wrote:
TSP P1-R, P4
Tibhar DTecs
Joola Octopus

Not much more to say... perfect list

Considering you play in 1.0 mm, to create your own spin the best are:
Feint III > p4 = spike p2 (quite the same rubber) > Feint II > p1-r

To reverse spin i'd say:
DTecs > P1-r >= Octopus >= Spike p1

Of course as def-attack said you will find yourself better or worse (and produce different results) with one or another depending on your stroke...
For a defender i think the great "pinnacles/must try" are D.Tecs, p1-r, FII and FIII (p4 if you like 0.5 and very classic defense with BH)... if i have to guess D.tecs would be too on one side for you (too fast and ungrippy with huge reversal) and FIII too much on the opposite (too slow and grippy).
About chinese pips i answered in the other thread

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)

PostPosted: 06 May 2016, 20:13 
Super User

RevanII wrote:
Lorre wrote:
TSP P1-R, P4
Tibhar DTecs
Joola Octopus

Not much more to say... perfect list

Considering you play in 1.0 mm, to create your own spin the best are:
Feint III > p4 = spike p2 (quite the same rubber) > Feint II > p1-r

To reverse spin i'd say:
DTecs > P1-r >= Octopus >= Spike p1

Of course as def-attack said you will find yourself better or worse (and produce different results) with one or another depending on your stroke...
For a defender i think the great "pinnacles/must try" are D.Tecs, p1-r, FII and FIII (p4 if you like 0.5 and very classic defense with BH)... if i have to guess D.tecs would be too on one side for you (too fast and ungrippy with huge reversal) and FIII too much on the opposite (too slow and grippy).
About chinese pips i answered in the other thread

Thank you for your reply.

I have already tried P4 and I didn't like it, just too soft. So I figured that I wouldn't like Spike P2 or Feint III.

I have been playing with P1-R and Hellfire this season so I have sort of gotten used to the way they feel.

I wrote up a list of rubbers to try over the summer (I will keep P1-R and Hellfire)

Feint long II
Globe 979
Easy P
Dawei 388d & 388d-1 (I don't know which would be better)
Then maybe if I decide against the Dawei, I might try Dornenglanz 2 as it's said it is similar to the Dawei.

PostPosted: 06 May 2016, 21:11 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Be sure to test the same rubber (with same thickness) after a certain period of time (e.g. a year). If you're a better chopper, they'll give a different impression.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 10:11 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
My experience, chop blocking, I get heavier backspin using fat vs thin long pips.

My GD Cropcircles is just as good as DTecS for chop blocking.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 16:28 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
LOOPOVER wrote:
My experience, chop blocking, I get heavier backspin using fat vs thin long pips.

My GD Cropcircles is just as good as DTecS for chop blocking.

Maybe its blade dependent, maybe its level of play, or maybe its both and more, but....

I found CC to chop block a lot higher and nowhere near as venomously as Dtecs. But the topic here is chopping, not chop blocking, so its not really relevant is it.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!