OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 16 May 2016, 17:45 
Super User

LordCope wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:
I don't suppose changing the thickness will make much difference for my game? I push aggressively and chop from back.

The correct answer to this, and all material-related questions, is that of course it will make a difference. However, the key thing to understand is that the significance of these differences are greatly exaggerated by cognitive bias, and by contrast. If you make a change, it will feel different. Sometimes radically different. However, after a short while (could be as little as 30-60 mins, maybe a few days) your brain will correct for those differences, and what you have changed to will feel normal.

Similarly, the change your material makes to how your opponent experiences your play will be slight. And they will adjust accordingly.

This is why the recommendation you are receiving is not to worry about the material, and get on with improving your strokes. The only counter I have offered is that messing about with different rubbers is fun... but it is in direct conflict with improving your game consistently. So if you care more about your results and improvement, forget making changes.

Quote:
I just need to know what pimples out there are good for chopping with good control I guess.

As Leatherback says: all of them.

Yes, in theory, some are considered better for chopping, some are considered better for blocking, and some for hitting. Yes, some are considered easier, and some are considered harder. But in reality the differences are slight, and you could very readily play the game you want to with any LP rubber on the market, with any amount of sponge.

Quote:
I like the look of spinlord's pimples. Any suggestions?

I've only used Dornenglanz and Agenda. Both are excellent. Dornenglanz is only OX (although Lars @ Japsko will add sponge to it if you want... Hannah Hicks does this). Agenda is an allround LP, and I'm happy with how it plays based on my (limited) experience.

Balls to it. I'm gonna stick to sort of 0.9mm to 1.2mm sponge and keep my Hellfire, P1-R and then I'm going to get Dornenglanz with sponge. That's it. No more messing. I will pick my favourite from those and improve my game! :)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 16 May 2016, 19:30 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
ridderz65 wrote:
I just need to know what pimples out there are good for chopping with good control I guess. I like the look of spinlord's pimples. Any suggestions?

Most known LPs for chopping have very good control. That's in part why they are known to be good chopping rubbers. As far as I know there are a couple of very controllable chopping rubbers:

Butterfly Feint III
Donic Spike P1
Donic Spike P2
TSP P1-R
TSP P4

I heard Feint II isn't very controllable, but I never used it, so I can be wrong about it. I used DTecs for a couple of years: that's a different chopping beast, but not controllable enough once you're at a certain level where they topspin the hell out of the ball (that is: if you're mere mortal, not known as legendary Joo).

ridderz65 wrote:
Balls to it. I'm gonna stick to sort of 0.9mm to 1.2mm sponge and keep my Hellfire, P1-R and then I'm going to get Dornenglanz with sponge. That's it. No more messing. I will pick my favourite from those and improve my game! :)

:up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 16 May 2016, 19:35 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
ridderz65 wrote:
Lorre wrote:
I don't see it happening here or at the international level. Where did you see it, ridderz?

I've seen some high ranked long pimple players in England changing from sponge to OX

Like who? I don't know of any high-ranked LP players in England at all other than Hannah Hicks and I'm not sure she's moved to OX?

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 16 May 2016, 20:00 
Super User

Lorre wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:
I just need to know what pimples out there are good for chopping with good control I guess. I like the look of spinlord's pimples. Any suggestions?

Most known LPs for chopping have very good control. That's in part why they are known to be good chopping rubbers. As far as I know there are a couple of very controllable chopping rubbers:

Butterfly Feint III
Donic Spike P1
Donic Spike P2
TSP P1-R
TSP P4

I heard Feint II isn't very controllable, but I never used it, so I can be wrong about it. I used DTecs for a couple of years: that's a different chopping beast, but not controllable enough once you're at a certain level where they topspin the hell out of the ball (that is: if you're mere mortal, not known as legendary Joo).

ridderz65 wrote:

:up: :up: :up:

I've tried P4 and I just didn't like how soft it was at all! So that says to me that I won't like FL 3 or Spike P2.

I already have P1-R. I haven't tried FL 2 or Spike P1.

This is why I've been looking at the Sauer & Troger rubbers and the Spinlord ones. I'm giving up on the Chinese LP as they are difficult to get hold of and never seem to have the sponge thickness or colour I want! And I'm pretty sure a lot of the European LPs are just as good as the Chinese if not better!

PostPosted: 16 May 2016, 20:00 
Super User

dunc wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:
Lorre wrote:
I don't see it happening here or at the international level. Where did you see it, ridderz?

I've seen some high ranked long pimple players in England changing from sponge to OX

Like who? I don't know of any high-ranked LP players in England at all other than Hannah Hicks and I'm not sure she's moved to OX?

One I know has changed to OX is James Hobson.

PostPosted: 16 May 2016, 20:11 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

He must be the only one then :lol: If you know him, haven't you had the opportunity to ask him why?

For me, OX isn't a great device for chopping. It's better for disrupting and chop-blocking. Better for setting up FH play potentially and definitely more effective against players who don't like LPs... but you can't generate your own spin and against players who understand pimples, you'll find it really hard.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 16 May 2016, 21:48 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
ridderz65 wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:

One I know has changed to OX is James Hobson.

Thread title says "... a lot of modern defenders...", then it becomes "... some high ranked LP players...", and now it turns out to be one dude (I'm not in UK, so don't know his ranking) ? I'd wait for a bit more data to make the claim about this big shift to OX. Unless, of course, you are looking for an excuse to change your equipment, which true EJ does not really need in the first place :devil:

P.S. I had to trim intermediate quotes from dunc and Lorre, because forum software insisted.

PostPosted: 16 May 2016, 21:52 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

pgpg wrote:
and now it turns out to be one dude (I'm not in UK, so don't know his ranking) ?

he's ranked 14 in the English Juniors. so he's obvs not a bad player... but not quite top amateur level yet

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 17 May 2016, 00:03 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
dunc wrote:

I don't know of any seniors in the top ranks who use LP apart from Hannah. She certainly doesn't use OX. At the VETTs this weekend, one of the top players used LP, but had sponge (FL2, 1.0mm I think). There were plenty of OX LP players lower down in the ranks, but at the top level, I definitely disagree that "a lot of modern defenders" are changing to OX.

I asked my coach his opinion (he also coaches Hannah, so knows a few things about LP playing at the top level). He said:

Quote:
No sponge is ok if you want results at a lower level, but has its drawbacks if you want to keep developing and reach your full potential. The original frictionless ox was manufactured to give maximum return spin, you don't get this with the newer rubbers and more importantly the plastic ball. Ox is therefore extremely limited in alternatives, not least being the problem of extremely limited dwell time.

Now this is all relative. There are scores of OX LP players on this forum of decent strength, whose level players like ridderz and I can aspire to reach, but there is generally a ceiling to the level, which explains why so few top players use OX.

That said, at the lower level, OX is extremely potent. My own experience has been that against players who understand how to play against pips, OX is a *disadvantage*, but at lower levels it's a distinct advantage. When using sponge (which I've done for much less time), the opposite is so. Against players who do know how to play against pips, and who can loop a few chops consistently, the ability to vary and generate spin is a necessity, but some of the "cheap" points you get against weaker players dry up, as the reversal and disturbance is lower.

PostPosted: 17 May 2016, 00:08 
LP Collector
LP Collector

dunc wrote:
For me, OX isn't a great device for chopping. It's better for disrupting and chop-blocking. Better for setting up FH play potentially and definitely more effective against players who don't like LPs... but you can't generate your own spin and against players who understand pimples, you'll find it really hard.

+1

This has been my experience. Where I am at right now, I suspect I'm going to opt for OX, as the bulk of my competitive games at present are at a level where this will be more of an advantage than a disadvantage. Given that the level at which OX usage seems to dry up matches the level I am aiming for, I think the ceiling probably doesn't represent a big problem for me. I also have much more experience playing with OX pips than with sponge. Right now for my personal development and enjoyment, the short-term advantage of OX seems like it outweighs the long term disadvantages. But I'm still musing, and I haven't had the chance to talk it through properly with my coach.

PostPosted: 17 May 2016, 00:25 
Super User

I think I might try 1.0mm Dornenglanz or Dornenglanz 2. I may buy a sheet in OX just to see the difference for myself. I have a sheet of Hellfire where the sponge is coming away from the topsheet so I may try this in OX.

There are quite a few pimples players in my local leagues who are changing to OX. And the England No.177 senior mens told me that a few pimples players in the British league are changing to OX. James was just one example.

PostPosted: 17 May 2016, 00:28 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Need to ask them why :) I think we'd all be interested to hear.

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 18 May 2016, 06:27 
Super User

Blade: Donic alligator combi
FH: FS Bloom Power max.
BH: TSP curl P4 1,0mm
I wonder how many of you are already playing with the poly ball?

Are they playing in the UK with poly ball or celluloid?

A few week ago i saw a top match in the german bundesliga. Two world top long pimple defenders (Filus, Wang Xi) were completely disassembled. No disruption, no backspin. BTW they were playing with Butterfly G40 poly balls.

PostPosted: 18 May 2016, 07:00 
LP Collector
LP Collector

brokkie wrote:
I wonder how many of you are already playing with the poly ball?

Are they playing in the UK with poly ball or celluloid?

A few week ago i saw a top match in the german bundesliga. Two world top long pimple defenders (Filus, Wang Xi) were completely disassembled. No disruption, no backspin. BTW they were playing with Butterfly G40 poly balls.

We've been using the poly ball for ages. Never use the celluloid these days.

My coach firmly believes that the plastic ball calls for different tactics and material.

PostPosted: 18 May 2016, 07:21 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
brokkie wrote:

Any video recordings of these games, brokkie?

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next