OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 04:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 May 2016, 23:09 
Super User

I found a thread about this sometime ago but can't find it.....

I've been playing a fairly efficient TWO WINGED short pips guy (right around my rating level)....and he's giving me enormous amounts of trouble.

Part of the problem is that I chop (OX)....meaning that I also tend to move away from the table. Any chop that isn't deep and doesn't literally skim the top of the net has no effect and is actually detrimental. In fact, chopping is damn near worthless. I win a few points on serves....getting him to misread and pop up....but beyond that it's a nightmare. (although the matches go 5 and are reasonably close)

I'm looking for some advice....what do you guys do?

PostPosted: 16 May 2016, 23:55 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
There's not too many SP players around me these days (thank god :swear: :lol: ) There was one in my division last season who didn't bother me too much as I have always beaten him in the last few years (although he can be awkward). He uses SP on his BH and uses it to keep spin from giving him too much trouble (especially on serves). Then he uses it to hit drives on his BH. He doesn't have huge power, but he has good placement and will certainly take advantage of anything in his hitting zone (as he does with his FH also). I find unless I play him short and move him around he can dictate the game and eventually hit a drive that I can't reach. So chopping heavy and short is what I'd advise for your guy, but depends on many factors as so much depends on how they use the SP (and how good they are). Short pushing with no spin can also give them problems.

I used to meet a guy at tourney's that had SP/LP setup who was a nightmare to play. His hits with the SP weren't that fast, but getting the right power and lift on the returns off it was really hard. If I got it right I could smash my FH past him, but so often I either didn't get it right, or he angled his shots far enough of me to not be able to reach. I played the guy like 3 or 4 times over several tourney's and I never beat him as I just couldn't get enough practice against his style. SP in the hands of someone knowing how to use it can be rather terrifying :@

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.