OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2016, 11:00 

Blade: Gionnis carb def
FH: H3-50
BH: Talon
I like to play pretty aggressive with my LPs, including a lot of punching, chop-blocks, side swipes, etc.
Unfortunately, I'm not as consistent as I would like.
I read on the forum that having sponge helps with aggressive hitting.
In the past, I've tried using .5 damping sponge and I've tried .5 HRS sponge (I'm guessing 35º from 729).

I can't help but feel like its too mushy feeling. It doesn't feel as solid as I would like so after trying it for a week I rip off the sponge.

I've been thinking about trying to get a harder sponge (either 40º-45º sponge or 45º-50º).
I would like to know what those who use sponge on LPs for more aggressive play feel about harder sponges, most likely .5 thickness?

I want to feel like I'm making an informed decision before spending any time or money on this.

P.S. I've been experimenting with some Med. pips because of this issue, but am not sure about making such a drastic change. It would mean changing not just strokes but strategies, and I don't think its worth my time at the moment.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2016, 12:05 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Softer sponge allows you to empart more topspin in your attacks, but also makes them more benign. Harder sponge will have a lite more speed and a little less spin, sending harder to return balls.

I like a medium softness as a compromise. 755 0.5mm was better for more all around play...and more forgiving of passive play. 755 1.0mm was in my opinion great...but its all attack all day. I ultimately abandoned attacking as my primary style as I like chopping more.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2016, 14:41 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
DHS C7 with 0.6 sponge was a good attacking MP (which they label LP, always confused on that one |( ).

Thinking logically, the hardest sponge you can get is no sponge (Ox), and Ox is best for control. So if you put a very hard sponge underneath your LP (by buying just the sponge and gluing it on), then it should result in a better controlled LP.....just a theory.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2016, 08:31 

Japsican- Thanks for the advice. I think I may eventually try a harder sponge (like I said I didn't like the softer stuff). But I ordered 755 with .5, its cheap and I know its a good hitting pip. I believe it is on orange sponge which is harder than their hrs sponge... I think. If it doesn't work out maybe I'll try a harder sponge before really evaluating what I want to do with my game.
P.S. doesn't P1r have a harder sponge?

Reb- Thanks for the words, I read your blog, so I picked up Pogo because of your love for it.
I'm testing it now. Anyways, your thoughts on sponge hardness seem reasonable and what I thought too. I was just wondering if anyone else had tried it.

E

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2016, 08:57 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
hard sponge? you could try tulpe for $ 5 each

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2016, 23:21 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Thinking logically, the hardest sponge you can get is no sponge (Ox), and Ox is best for control. So if you put a very hard sponge underneath your LP (by buying just the sponge and gluing it on), then it should result in a better controlled LP.....just a theory.

It depends on what your idea of control is. If you want control vs. spin (ie, less spin sensitivity) then yes OX has more control vs. spin.

But if you need a little more spin to be emparted to give your attacks a little more arch, then control is gained by softer sponge, again at the expense of dangerousness.

For me, chopping...softer sponges (not too soft) are better for dampening hard loops. But there is a point at which too much softness and too much grippiness becomes a detriment.

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2016, 23:35 

Ehimle wrote:
P.S. doesn't P1r have a harder sponge?

Some people have said it's "Hard", I've heard others say it was "soft." It's all relative. I find it softer than 755, and would call it medium myself just comparing side by side pressing with my thumb. Probably medium-soft really. I think TSP changed the sponge to a softer variety a few years ago...I recall reading that for some reason.

Either way, the combo of P-1R's topsheet (softish pips) and the medium sponge gives it an overall feel of softness. It's definitely good at dampening and it's slower than a lot of pips. I find it has just enough grip and just enough slipperiness to play the style I play, lots of pushes lots of chops. Pushes with pips vs. inverted push, then twiddling. I don't often attack with the pips much anymore, but I still do, and P-1R is pretty good at that too.

755 in 1.0mm feels harder and faster with far less dampening. That's why I preferred it in 0.6mm. If you live in the US, I'd be happy to gift you both the 1.0mm and 0.6mm 755s if you give me your address. I think they're cut to the size of an Aurora Blade, so oversized by not as much as the Defplay. I'd send it standard mail....

Or you could trade me for some other pips or rubber if you have something laying around you don't need.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2016, 06:10 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
flat trajctory LP is good for hitting
i recommend grass dtecs 0.5 or 0.9

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2016, 08:57 

Japsican,

I live in the US.
I'll pm you.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!