OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 02:42 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Japsican wrote:
Ah, so Wang Xi/Gionis/Filus are more "Chinese Style" because of the guide/fish FH, and heavy looping counters?

I would say yes. Wang xi for sure, uses his pips defensively and aggressively to win points. Gionis and filus are a bit more defensive on the back hand. Especially gionis. I have never seen a hit from his pips or a forehand chop from him. But their attempts to get into a counter looping rally leans them more in that direction.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 07:25 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
I would say the difference in backhand chop exist,
- Classic Japanese style tend to does it back facing table below the table, with blade perpendicular to ball incoming path, Matsushita, Shiono
- Classic Chinese style tend to chop ith more horizontal arc, with earlier timing, up the table, back facing table, resulting to rather flatter ball path. Ding Song,
How Ying Chao.
- I prefer to consider Joo style as separate group, I call it Korean style, face forward, chop start from side and down, leg spread. Then so many new player emulate this style. Muramatsu style looks very Joo to me. :D

Sent from my S5G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 08:14 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
leatherback wrote:
For what? Where to purchase? Any of the above are great.

oh, uh, well, I was kind of confused (maybe even a bit "mystified" :lol: ) When you said "if you truly don't want to stick with inverted," get Dawei 388d-1, because it won't help my game. I was just wondering what you meant by that; and also, out of PURE CURIOSITY, what are the specs of dawei 388d-1 (height and length of pips, spacing between pips)? I couldn't find a post or image or something, thanks :angel:

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 08:17 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Interesting. Ding song and hou yingchao use short pips though. They are also trying to have a fast ball path looking for a higher ball to counter.

I agree however that joo and muramatsu both have similar styles which is a blend of the two.

From what I know backhand chop technique is basic....as long as there is a relaxed swing with weight transfer and a brushed ball contact your chop is correct. Individual chopping styles are developed by their own player dependant on how they want the ball to travel or have success doing.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2016, 09:17 
Super User

leatherback wrote:
Interesting. Ding song and hou yingchao use short pips though. They are also trying to have a fast ball path looking for a higher ball to counter.

I agree however that joo and muramatsu both have similar styles which is a blend of the two.

From what I know backhand chop technique is basic....as long as there is a relaxed swing with weight transfer and a brushed ball contact your chop is correct. Individual chopping styles are developed by their own player dependant on how they want the ball to travel or have success doing.

Well, yes,

Or actually the other way around, Ding Song and Hou Yingchao use short pips to be able to make sharper and flatter chops. :D

But then,

I am at a lost to explain how Joo (LP) ond Muramatsu (Double Inverted goes to SP) form are very similar

Sent from my S5G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 12:26 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
I've been playing with 388D-1 for approximately 10 months now. I've played a couple different versions of 388D-1 (quattro/regular, thicker/thinner sponge). Currently using regular version on an OFF- blade with a 0.5 sponge. I don't have a problem chopping with it except when I play against ultra fast and spinny loops while getting caught near the table...

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 12:00 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
notfound123 wrote:
I've been playing with 388D-1 for approximately 10 months now. I've played a couple different versions of 388D-1 (quattro/regular, thicker/thinner sponge). Currently using regular version on an OFF- blade with a 0.5 sponge. I don't have a problem chopping with it except when I play against ultra fast and spinny loops while getting caught near the table...

I have the exact same problem you have, lol, except that I use a premade bat. I am doing some experimentation with a bat at my church though >: D will post about it in the experimentation section

Edit: The premade bat is double inverted

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2016, 03:49 
It is illogical to play with a uniform surface!

There is about 3 -4 versions of the 388D-1...might be even more depending on where you get it...Ive played with the D-1 version and found it performs
great for a medium attacking, decent reversal and speed..I took a year off for a shoulder and foot injury and hope to get back playing in Nov. I think I
have one blade set up with the 388D-1 and will start off with that one..I call it somewhere in the middle...good rubber

Peace GIG

New blade set-up... Nittaku Monophonic with Dawie 388d-1 ox and Big slam max ( really like this one) down to FH rubber selections--I like it better than talon
flaired handle and 90 grams

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2016, 11:11 
Super User

notfound123 wrote:

Ultimately I've given up on 388 and have been playing w/ P1R for a couple months now. Both my chopping and my results have improved in a big way as soon as I stopped being a push-blocker.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 08:03 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

How do you use the P1r then?
and which this thickness?

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2016, 06:56 
Super User

Robot Blocker wrote:
How do you use the P1r then?
and which this thickness?

I use it in 0.5 along with tenergy 05 max. My new setup allows me to chop with both FH and BH and I can still be very aggressive on my FH, depending on my opponent.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 11:16 
Super User

This is just info for the thread:

I just received my first 388D-1 Quattro.
I ordered .5mm and expected orange sponge and dimensions of about 173x167 so I could trim the label some.
This sponge was *red* and marked *.6*mm.
The length in the long direction is only 168mm. It's almost square 168x167 (like the non-Quattro which was 165x163). It does not have the expected sticker on the package that says 0.5mm and "Designed in Japan" but just says 0.6, red, quattro.

[EDIT]
Just received from china-friend (I believe this is Eacheng) via Amazon, the sheets are 170x170, are marked on the sponge with a fancier logo in a rectangle "Super 0.5mm", and the sponge is creme. The package also has the expected sticker that says 0.5mm and "Designed in Japan", and has the J.T.T.A.A. in the topsheet label area.
And, it is lying flat, unlike the above which were curled slightly with the sponge on the inside (and so I guess were old).

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 08:06 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
BeGo wrote:
pgpg wrote:
leatherback wrote:

Feint long two is a Japanese pip designed for a classic Japanese chopping game, consistency until given an opportunity to capitalise on an error Nothing funky at the table, just pushes and hits and chopping. Very straight straight forward. It is horizontally aligned with medium hardness pips with a medium hardness sponge. It is medium speed.

Dawei 388d-1 is designed for a classic Chinese chopping game, consistency while trying to force an attack or an opportunity to win the point. A little bit weirder at the table. Designed for pushing, hitting and side swiping and chopping. It is horizontally aligned with medium hardness pips and medium hardness sponge and it is medium-medium fast speed.

That's the first time I've seen it classified like that - very useful. Is it fair to assume that most of made-in Japan pips will be more suitable for 'Japanese chopping' style (duh!), and the same with Chinese made ones? Where would you put offerings from Euro brands like Spinlord, Dr. Neubauer and Tibhar?

Blocker SpinLord Dornenglanz
Blocker Donic Piranja Formula Tec

Blocker Driver SpinLord Zeitgeist
Blocker Driver Dr. Neubauer Scalpel
Blocker Driver Stiga Destroyer

Blocker Looper Andro Chaos
Blocker Looper Donic Akkadi L2

Chinese Chopper Dr. Neubauer Leopard

Chopper Driver Dr. Neubauer Fighter

Driver Dr. Neubauer SUPER BLOCK
Driver Sword Scylla

Looper JOOLA Express Ultra
Looper Andro Blowfish+
Looper Stiga Radical
Looper Stiga Royal
Looper Andro Blowfish
Looper Stiga Clippa

Non Chopper Tibhar Grass D.TecS (Dont ask me how Joo excel with it, please)

Non Driver JOOLA Octopus

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

BeGo, You seem to know a lot, and a lot about many pips rubbers...

I am by nature a chopper/chop blocker/pusher, but I've been trying to attack with my pips as well. I had been playing with Dtecs 0x and it chops great, and the spin reversal makes the pushing great, but I can't control the ball when I try to hit it. Spinlord Dornenglanz II doesn't chop very well but does well chop blocking or blocking, not good at pushing, and pretty slow for attacking.

I have to use 0x pips or my attacks are way too slow. By attack I mean to smack the ball from near or over the table above net height with not very much spin usually. I'm wondering if that's what you call Driver? What do you mean by Driver?

I noticed you classified Dr Neubauer Fighter for Chopper and Driver.

Also, have you ever tried Spinlord Dorenglanz II or Joola Badman Reloaded? Also the Dawei 388D-1.

How would you classify those, please?

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 22:44 
Super User

Old-Man-Southpaw wrote:

I have to use 0x pips or my attacks are way too slow. By attack I mean to smack the ball from near or over the table above net height with not very much spin usually. I'm wondering if that's what you call Driver? What do you mean by Driver?
- I put pips that returning ball speed well with great reversal like Super Block as driver rubber, as opposed to
- better absorbing rubber with quite similar reversal, like Zeitgeist

- Yes. A year ago, looking at the reviews, and compared to other rubbers, and seeing my peers who used it, it look like medium speed medium reversal rubber, but in a year I am more convinced that Fighter belong to Blocker Chopper aka Japanese Chopper category, similar to Neptune
- I update my list around per 6 months :)
- As "Me factor", I prefer pips that great at imparting spin rather than returning spin for chopping, so what I consider Blocker or Driver or Blocker Driver rubber may be better fit to Your needs as opposed to what I call Chopper rubber. ;)

Also, have you ever tried Spinlord Dorenglanz II or Joola Badman Reloaded? Also the Dawei 388D-1.
- I am sorry, I am not yet able to assess 1st and 2nd rubber
- I put 388D-1 on my spare Defplay, and like it responses. Play like faster version of my favourite LKT Stranger, despite it harder pips. I prefer Neptune more though. :D

Blocker Looper Dawei 388B
Driver Dawei 388B-1 (this may fit You) ;)
Blocker Looper Dawei 388C-1
Blocker Looper Dawei 388D-1
Blocker Looper Dawei 388D-1 Quattro Allround
Blocker Chopper Dawei Saviga V

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 22:45 
Super User

Old-Man-Southpaw wrote:

- I put pips that returning ball speed well with great reversal like Super Block as driver rubber, as opposed to
- better absorbing rubber with quite similar reversal, like Zeitgeist

- Yes. A year ago, looking at the reviews, and compared to other rubbers, and seeing my peers who used it, it look like medium speed medium reversal rubber, but in a year I am more convinced that Fighter belong to Blocker Chopper aka Japanese Chopper category, similar to Neptune
- I update my list around per 6 months :)
- As "Me factor", I prefer pips that great at imparting spin rather than returning spin for chopping, so what I consider Blocker or Driver or Blocker Driver rubber may be better fit to Your needs as opposed to what I call Chopper rubber. ;)

- I am sorry, I am not yet able to assess 1st and 2nd rubber
- I put 388D-1 on my spare Defplay, and like it responses. Play like faster version of my favourite LKT Stranger, despite it harder pips. I prefer Neptune more though. :D

Blocker Looper Dawei 388B
Driver Dawei 388B-1 (this may fit You) ;)
Blocker Looper Dawei 388C-1
Blocker Looper Dawei 388D-1
Blocker Looper Dawei 388D-1 Quattro Allround
Blocker Chopper Dawei Saviga V

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next