OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 17:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Some old threads on here about the Quattro ox version is the same as a normal 388d-1,no Quattro written on the topsheet and Dawei is pulling a fast one

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 02:27 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Just a question, arent the pips on 388d-1 slightly hardish? And how does it compare to Feint Long 2 in every aspect, including things like parameters, pimple geometry, hardness, performance, etc...

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 07:40 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Danthespearton wrote:
Just a question, arent the pips on 388d-1 slightly hardish? And how does it compare to Feint Long 2 in every aspect, including things like parameters, pimple geometry, hardness, performance, etc...

Man I guess you are trying to decide between the two lol.

First let me tell you it's not gonna matter. Trust me on this.

But if you wish to know....

Feint long two is a Japanese pip designed for a classic Japanese chopping game, consistency until given an opportunity to capitalise on an error Nothing funky at the table, just pushes and hits and chopping. Very straight straight forward. It is horizontally aligned with medium hardness pips with a medium hardness sponge. It is medium speed.

Dawei 388d-1 is designed for a classic Chinese chopping game, consistency while trying to force an attack or an opportunity to win the point. A little bit weirder at the table. Designed for pushing, hitting and side swiping and chopping. It is horizontally aligned with medium hardness pips and medium hardness sponge and it is medium-medium fast speed.

The only other aspect I can comment on is quality. Feint long 2 has higher quality with Japanese quality control but is also much more expensive and quality in pips never won any matches.

As to performance, not a single person can tell you which is better nor should you listen to anyone claiming to have a fact on the matter. A) you have to try them both for extended periods of time to truly notice the difference in your game and B) you have to be good enough to truly utilize the difference, which is a lot higher of a level then people want to believe. And this applies to any long pip.

My suggestion? If you truly don't want to stick with inverted? Dawei.

It doesn't make logical sense to spend more money on something that actually won't help your game.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 10:56 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
very good comments and explanations there... :up:

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 11:03 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
leatherback wrote:

Feint long two is a Japanese pip designed for a classic Japanese chopping game, consistency until given an opportunity to capitalise on an error Nothing funky at the table, just pushes and hits and chopping. Very straight straight forward. It is horizontally aligned with medium hardness pips with a medium hardness sponge. It is medium speed.

Dawei 388d-1 is designed for a classic Chinese chopping game, consistency while trying to force an attack or an opportunity to win the point. A little bit weirder at the table. Designed for pushing, hitting and side swiping and chopping. It is horizontally aligned with medium hardness pips and medium hardness sponge and it is medium-medium fast speed.

That's the first time I've seen it classified like that - very useful. Is it fair to assume that most of made-in Japan pips will be more suitable for 'Japanese chopping' style (duh!), and the same with Chinese made ones? Where would you put offerings from Euro brands like Spinlord, Dr. Neubauer and Tibhar?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 11:50 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
pgpg wrote:
leatherback wrote:

That's the first time I've seen it classified like that - very useful. Is it fair to assume that most of made-in Japan pips will be more suitable for 'Japanese chopping' style (duh!), and the same with Chinese made ones? Where would you put offerings from Euro brands like Spinlord, Dr. Neubauer and Tibhar?

Blocker SpinLord Dornenglanz
Blocker Donic Piranja Formula Tec

Blocker Driver SpinLord Zeitgeist
Blocker Driver Dr. Neubauer Scalpel
Blocker Driver Stiga Destroyer

Blocker Looper Andro Chaos
Blocker Looper Donic Akkadi L2

Chinese Chopper Dr. Neubauer Leopard

Chopper Driver Dr. Neubauer Fighter

Driver Dr. Neubauer SUPER BLOCK
Driver Sword Scylla

Looper JOOLA Express Ultra
Looper Andro Blowfish+
Looper Stiga Radical
Looper Stiga Royal
Looper Andro Blowfish
Looper Stiga Clippa

Non Chopper Tibhar Grass D.TecS (Dont ask me how Joo excel with it, please)

Non Driver JOOLA Octopus

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 11:56 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

pgpg wrote:
leatherback wrote:

Dr. N makes pips for neither of these styles. He designs his pips to play close to the table, a style that is viable to very high levels, but not at the highest. The tensor pips that Europe has over the past decade or so built are much more the Chinese types. Most high level choppers out of Europe would use Japanese long pips however.

Spinlord did something new. They took the grip of Japanese and put it with the speed and funk of Chinese....not totally revolutionary in terms of style as you can see pros (particularly Joo) have blended the Chinese and Japanese chopping styles using Japanese pips. Spinlord (particularly DG) have just made a pip specific to that style, now if only a top 30 player would use it!

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 12:50 
Super User

leatherback wrote:
Danthespearton wrote:

Man I guess you are trying to decide between the two lol.

First let me tell you it's not gonna matter. Trust me on this.

But if you wish to know....

The only other aspect I can comment on is quality. Feint long 2 has higher quality with Japanese quality control but is also much more expensive and quality in pips never won any matches.

As to performance, not a single person can tell you which is better nor should you listen to anyone claiming to have a fact on the matter. A) you have to try them both for extended periods of time to truly notice the difference in your game and B) you have to be good enough to truly utilize the difference, which is a lot higher of a level then people want to believe. And this applies to any long pip.

My suggestion? If you truly don't want to stick with inverted? Dawei.

It doesn't make logical sense to spend more money on something that actually won't help your game.

What do you mean when you say "if you truly don't want to stick with inverted?" Just wondering :wasntme: :wasntme: And where can I actually get Dawei 388d-1? I can't seem to find a online store that sells it :^) , preferably in 0.5 sponge; I have tried it before, once actually. It was my first time trying an lp EVER, and oh baby, it felt so easy and natural chopping close and far from the table agaimst my dad's loops; a nice chinese gentleman let me try his paddle, which is how I first experienced lps. It was red with a 0.7 sponge, only thing I couldnt seem to do was chop very heavy; it was probably because I wasn't brushing the pips against the ball. The reason why I asked my original question was primarily because of wanting to save money through purchasing, the next being confused over what I should choose :whew:

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 13:14 
Super User

http://m.eacheng.net/Dawei-388D-1-Long-Pips-p11476.html
in different sponge thicknesses :up:

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 21:47 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Colestt.com has Dawei 388d-1, and you can get different sponges too. Great option if you are based in US.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 03:55 
Super User

Thanks guys! Now, I have yet to get a reply from leatherback ;)

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 06:19 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

For what? Where to purchase? Any of the above are great.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 21:20 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I have been on the forums, done research, watch videos of choppers from every country, I've never heard of there being a classification difference between "Chinese" and "Japanese" chopping. :^)

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 21:51 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Japsican wrote:
I have been on the forums, done research, watch videos of choppers from every country, I've never heard of there being a classification difference between "Chinese" and "Japanese" chopping. :^)

There is no difference in the actual chop. The shot is the same. Try to get heavyback spin that is long and low. It's just how they win points. Chinese style may pivot on the backhand more. They may slow block/fish/ lob on the forehand purposely in order to get into a counter looping rally. Japanese have much more tendency to forehand chop.

As I said there is a melding of styles as well like Joo

But a good example would be Wang yang vs. Shiono.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 00:50 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Ah, so Wang Xi/Gionis/Filus are more "Chinese Style" because of the guide/fish FH, and heavy looping counters?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!