OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: I almost blew my top!
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 01:36 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I played a 16 year old kid last night, and for the first set I wasn't so sure whether I'd beat him or not. He returned generally pretty well off my pips. I had no idea of his history in the game or what he'd been taught. I won the first set 12-10 and went on to control the match with tactics I'd learned worked on him in that set, and using other tactics less or not at all. So I beat him 3-0 and he didn't have much to say. He was Asian and this is not uncommon for Asian kids. But I told him I was impressed with his game and how he played me. The kids Mum was watching him and had been hissing at him for what she saw as his poor shots during our match, which didn't impress me much.

Later on he plays my teammate who also has Dtecs on his BH. Again he played my teammate quite well and took him to a 5th set. My teammate got over him fairly easily in the 5th set, but kid got 2 sets from him. A good effort, I thought.

Anyway, the kid walks off the court to his Mum and quite loudly states to her (and the air) "Long Pimples, No Skill!"

I said to him I beg your pardon. He repeated "Long Pimples takes no skill!"

I was ropeable! I said "Excuse me, Long Pips takes more skill than you think, You have a lot to learn Sonny!". I then told him to get an LP bat and try it. Wasn't sure how his mother would react to this, but he needed to be corrected. Turns out his mother backed me up and goes at him, "Yes, you need to learn! You need to learn how to play against Long Pimple".

She then has quite a chat to me and explains he has only been playing 8 months and (as is typical for kids) has trained in a topspin only games and hates when the game slows down, and gets frustrated. :lol: What a surprise!

The thing I found funny though, is in just 8 months this kid had picked up from someone such an ill-feeling toward LP players and felt confident in it enough to outwardly sprout it, when he was quiet for all the rest of the night. Actually, I don't think I'd ever heard someone so young sprout this in such a direct manner.

I didn't blow my top at him as I knew it was his youth and lack of understanding that this came from, but I also couldn't just be quiet and let him insult me and other LP players...and not let him know he was wrong.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 02:39 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I didn't blow my top at him as I knew it was his youth and lack of understanding that this came from, but I also couldn't just be quiet and let him insult me and other LP players...and not let him know he was wrong.

And that just hits the nail on the head doesn't it?

Youth & lack of understanding is what it's all about. That being said, you have every right and should speak up for yourself and others when someone is spouting nonsense like that. It's basically a direct insult right at you as they're saying you have no game. You can't take that laying down.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 05:08 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Or perhaps it was easier to blame your LP's than admit to his mum that he wasn't good enough to beat you.

Next time that happens, just put your bat down on the end of the table and ask him to serve from the other end. When he wins the point, you can rightly point out that the bat isn't capable of winning any points, it's the person that holds it that wins the points.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 07:21 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
I get a few people cursing and ranting about my antispin sometimes, but I think it just puts them off their game further! :D
Still though, most pip players don't give me trouble - if they can beat me with pips, they could probably also beat me using double inverted. That being said, if someone uses their pips really effectively in attacking and twiddling, then I do get caught off sometimes, and it's only that skillful use of pips that throws me off. If someone uses pips as a crutch, then chances are they have enough holes in their game to beat them anyway.

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 09:55 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
As a two wing looper , I myself have time and time again blamed the antispin on one of the top players bat (he is no 2 in my district). But I truely understand its only infuriating that at top of its level antispin or pimple player has so much control that it takes another level of understanding of the game to beat it.

I feel there's always gonna be that someone who don't understand the game enough and say stuffs like its an easier setup to master until they try it for themselves (i tried the anti spin rubber for a while on my BH and could never quite master it, as i find myself changing the bat sides often enough as im super used to loop on both sides, give up 1 month in haha)

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 12:21 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
well, sorry for being rude.

some country shoot Their own foot by banning pips on early age group competition and not introducing pips early, for the sake of "strong basic". :D

which, ironically, leave open many holes on the aforementioned youngster basic. ;)

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2016, 04:59 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
When I hear comments of this sort about pips players ("no skill," "your racket plays all by itself," etc.), I often respond that it's funny to hear something like that coming from someone who is playing with one of those speed-glue-effect-built in, trampoline-tension, NASA-engineered-super- sponge, barely-graze-the-ball-and-it-loops-by-itself-with-maximal-spin rubbers.

This is why for Marty Reisman and that generation, the whole sponged inverted rubber innovation was tantamount to cheating and destroying the purity of the game.

It's all a question of perspective, isn't it?

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2016, 04:10 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Last time I ran into a real jerk who wasn't afraid to loudly proclaim (after I beat him) that pips took no skill, I said something similar, like "well, your only skill is because you have a super spinny rubber, without that you'd be nothing". I also told him, well, if I have no skill and beat him, what does that say about his game? I don't think he expected me to speak up, but when I did, he shut up and left. Coward.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2016, 04:39 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
dwruck wrote:
Last time I ran into a real jerk who wasn't afraid to loudly proclaim (after I beat him) that pips took no skill, I said something similar, like "well, your only skill is because you have a super spinny rubber, without that you'd be nothing". I also told him, well, if I have no skill and beat him, what does that say about his game? I don't think he expected me to speak up, but when I did, he shut up and left. Coward.

Savage. I think if ping pong is like way back when, pimple, anti spin players would dominate though, like imagine Tt without top spins

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!