OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Blades for LPs
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 08:13 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
Is there any rule of thumb for blades for LPs especially OX?

I use Stiga Clipper Classic and Avalox 777 for SPs and I am happy with them. Should I use stiff 7 layer all wood for LPs OX also or does it matter?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Blades for LPs
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 09:27 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Depends what you are using it for,

Choppers tend to go with slower blades and hitters with fast stiff blades but it's all personal preference. You won't win with one and lose with the other.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 12:58 

Blade: Gionnis carb def
FH: H3-50
BH: Talon
I used the HRT Clipper clone with LP a couple times.
It was a tad quick for my tastes, but in the right hands it is probably quite nice.
If I owned it I would probably use a .5 sponge on the blade, or used a slower pip...
It probably would be good that way.

I've tried balsa, and will probably put those blades for sale on here eventually.
Balsa has an interesting effect on ball, it seems to work best with short strokes and passive play.
I tend to play pretty aggressive and I could never keep the ball on the table when I wanted hit with the LP (probably my own bad technique).
If you're interested PM me, I'll tell you what I got.

I personally like Sauer and Troger's Fire Starter. Its slower than what your are used to, but to me it feels like a cadillac of blades, smooth, controlled, and big. Their Dominate All blade is nice too.

If I were you, and you don't want to use your Clipper, and want a cheap easy blade to test LP,
I would choose a LKT instinct blade (I've heard Dawei R2 is pretty good too). And pick up Pogo (slow), 755 (fast), or 388d-1 (medium) for good cheap pips. Those will take you a long way if you end up liking the style.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 13:23 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Ehimle wrote:
I personally like Sauer and Troger's Fire Starter. Its slower than what your are used to, but to me it feels like a cadillac of blades, smooth, controlled, and big.

Would this work well for medium pips as well? Could you compare Firestarter with Zeus? And other blades?

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 14:50 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
There are trade offs using either blades. It does take getting used to playing with a slow blade compared to a faster.

On a Giant Dragon Fiberglass Top Table which plays slower with more spin left on the ball I like the faster blade.

On a Stiga Table which plays faster with less spin left on the ball I like the slower blade.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 15:41 

@Rokphish2

I think you might've opened a can of worms. I tend to type way too much....

I don't know about using mid pips on the Fire Starter. I've always read on the forum here medium pips are best on faster blades. Who knows? Might be a fun experiment.
I don't have a Zeus. It's on my wish list.

I do have a Dominate, fairly new. I'm testing Pluto on a .7 or 1.0 sponge I got off from a Sword Scylla. So far it seems nice, but I've only hit it on my return board, not in a game. I've only fooled around with medium pips and am not that good with them, I keep mistakenly try to play LP stokes with them :( , so I'm not sure I can give you any helpful info for medium pips.

Dominate has a more sporty/speedy feel, but not overly fast and nor uncontrollable, has a nice forehand feel, a little bit tiny of a head size.
Fire Starter is slower and extremely controlled, which makes it nice for me playing more aggressive and active with the LP. The only problem maybe is the slowness on a LP backhand punch is easier for my playing partners to react to. It can really feel like a hammer on my FH for smashes probably since I'm using h3.

The blade I used before the Fire Starter was a W-6. Which I thought at the time was good, but I picked it up last week to have a hit with it and it just felt wierd, not right after using the Fire Starter for the past last year.

Before the W-6 was a GD Kris 2. It's pretty good, but like I said before I had troubles with the balsa. And the head size is pretty small too. It's what I learned LP on trying to emulate coach McAfee. Though I think he used the Kris special.

I bought an hallmark ultra used off amazon for a good price last year and used it for a week. Once again, the balsa got me, too hard for me to control on LP hits although it's marketed as an attacking blade. Like I said it's probably just me and bad technique.
I also have a re-impact intro blade. I bought it between the Kris 2 and the w-6. I bought it thinking it would be a good, "cheap" intro to re-impact blades, but I should've talked to Achim before ordering it because as he told me after, it's fast, not good for the LP, better for mid and short pips. It's what I experimented with mid pips before the Dominate, but the balsa seems to have a more pronounced feel than my other two balsa blades, so I haven't used it much outside of getting my butt kicked trying out mid pips.

Anyways, outside of testing out what my friends have, thats all I've used. Sorry if that's too long, and probably not much use for you... I'm sure other's could give you better comparisons on different blades. As you can tell I don't have a wide range of experiences.

But I have noted a couple others on here using the Fire Starter. It's definitely the best push blocker blade I've used. One day maybe I'll try a Zeus or a OSP Immune OX, or a MSP blade, but I'm loving the Fire Starter right now.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 15:55 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
rokphish2 wrote:
Ehimle wrote:
I personally like Sauer and Troger's Fire Starter. Its slower than what your are used to, but to me it feels like a cadillac of blades, smooth, controlled, and big.

Would this work well for medium pips as well? Could you compare Firestarter with Zeus? And other blades?

For what's worth, I played with medium pips 1.0 years ago on a Stiga defensive wood blade, with great control. The fat long pips today are similar, so the adjustment was fairly smooth using OX.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 17:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Ehimle I wonder if the speed difference between fh and bh is noticable on the Firestarter ,is the looping speed and flex on fh comparable to any of the known blades?(Donic Defplay?)

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 21:27 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
i prefer stiff and quite fast defensive blades
eg. butterfly jsh, butterfly def2

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2016, 13:15 

@dazzler

There's not much a big difference between the FH and BH.
The Kris 2 had a more noticeable difference.
It's not as stiff as the clipper or balsa blades (obviously).
But it's stiffer than the w-6. It's roughly medium maybe a touch stiffer.
My guess is S&T wanted to split the difference between a chopper blade and a pushblock blade.
I would imagine the defplay has much more flex.

I think Bogeyhunter would know since he uses a FS for his pushblocker blade, but typically chops with another blade.

I did use rakza 7 for a bit on my FH and it was nice for loops, but I couldn't get used to the short game being too bouncy for me. I guess I'm too used to dead Chinese rubbers. While H3 makes it pretty heavy and a bit of a chore for looping, I don't lose points on somewhat easy short pushes and blocks. Maybe I should've learned to use tensors, maybe some other day.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2016, 16:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Ehimle,thanks for the blade feedback.
Also thought I`d mention I have also tried h3 on Def blades and a booster oil improves the looping and helps to engage the sponge,I found it difficult without(39 degree)

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 10:29 

I settled on TSP Balsa 8.5 for a number of years now and experiment with OX rubbers. My mainstay is Talon with Viper now a close second and DG third. After trying hundreds of blades, my conclusion is to get a blade and stick with it. If in the process you develop a style that begs another type blade, then change. Try new OX rubbers and stay with the same blade whatever it is...

USATT Rating: 1682

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 10:35 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
welp. What blade would be good for chopping with Feint Long 2 0.5 backhand and driving/smashing/chopping on forehand, without a mushy feeling?

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 12:13 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Danthespearton wrote:
welp. What blade would be good for chopping with Feint Long 2 0.5 backhand and driving/smashing/chopping on forehand, without a mushy feeling?

The Joo.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 04:04 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
leatherback wrote:
Danthespearton wrote:

The Joo.

Lol, is there an alternative? Doesn't have to be oversized either, as long as it's not compact size

Rating: Recreational Player