OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 21:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 22:22 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I'm continuing to stick with the DG2. The more I use it, the more I like it. Good control, tricky enough to give good players pause when attacking, and I am starting to hit with it really well. Definitely more control than Grass DTec S. It reminds me of Dr. Neubauer Viper in that it is good control, can provide good reversal and good attacking capabilities. But I've found DG2 to be far more durable than Viper and definitely less expensive.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 22:08 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Just a quick update on my odyssey with DG2. Sticking with it has definitely turned out to be a great decision for me. After about a year and a half of mediocre results, with a dropping rating, I've gone from 1757 to 1904 over my last two tournaments. In my last tournament, I had my best win ever, over a player rated 2143, another win over a player rated over 2000, and three 5-game losses to players rated over 1900. I can't attribute all of that to the DG2, my improved footwork, movement and forehand also have a lot to do with that. But the combination of defense, control, and offense that the DG2 provides me gives me a lot of confidence. Both the 2100 and 2000 level players that I beat had a lot of problems with the DG2. It either forced errors, or set up my offense well. I'm learning more and more how to vary dead balls with chop blocks, and had a couple of players comment to me how they had a difficult time reading the difference, so playing actively with it can be effective. There was also a match against another 2100 rated player where he blew me off the table when I was close, but when I backed up and chopped, it made me very competitive, losing the match 3-1, but the other two games I lost were at deuce. Loving the versatility it allows me to have in my game. :)

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 02:10 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Excellent progress!!! I am going through a major EJ phase, so I'm having the opposite problem. Haha.

That being said, for me it's almost never about the rubber's performance in terms of overall backspin on chops, or reversal, or dangerousness....it's almost always about the CONFIDENCE a rubber gives you. If it means you may have to put the ball on the table one extra time because the chop isn't as heavy, it's worth it to be comfortable that it's going to do exactly what you expect. For me, that's historically been 2 rubbers, P-1R and DG, but they both have situations that I find difficult to deal with no matter how much I train.

That's why I'm trying 2 rubbers that people have described as "comfortable" and "consistent" yet marginal in over-all backspin it produces. (testing out Agenda and FL3). Played with the FL3 before but it's been a while and I was a much different player back then.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 02:58 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I'm sure someday I'll get that EJ fever again, it's just right now this setup feels very good to me. Switching to the defensive blade gave me more control, and having the hard sponge on the Xiom Omega V Asia provided pop for the forehand despite the slower blade. Then it was finding the right pip. Sticking with it through a lot of practice matches and tournaments, I've developed that confidence that you are talking about. While I liked the Grass D Tec S for how much trouble opponents had with it, I felt like I wasn't as aggressive in attacking with my pip as I like to be, because I could never get fully comfortable with control. The DG2 gets me that, and now I am getting some shot combinations together and better movement (still a long way to go on that front, but definitely improved) all brings it together.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 11:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Sounds like it's working well for you dwruck :up: :rock:

So do you like it as much as the original DG?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 12:09 
Reverend Reversal

Blade: Rendler Smart
FH: Hurricane 8 hard
BH: Grass DTechs OX
Well, I'll let DWruck answer for himself, but I can tell you that after playing against him in a tournament last weekend and watching him beat a 2150 US rated player at that same tournament, I can't recall when I've ever seen Doug play so consistently and make very few unforced errors. His control with the DG2 was great. In pip to pip rallies, he bested me almost every time. Granted, I just switched to DTechs recently, and am still getting used to them, but I felt pretty confident going in with those pips. With the way he's playing with the DG2 now, I gotta get a new game plan to play against Doug! :)

Blade - Rendler Smart FH - Hurricane 8 hard black BH - Grass DTechs OX red
Blade - BBC 9/10/9 FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Dragon Talon OX red
Blade - Hallmark Aurora FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Joola Badman OX red

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 04:58 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Thanks Jim! I always enjoy our battles. It's a shame neither of us had a camera to record it, it really was a great match.

I've never used the original DG, so I can't make a comparison. However, as Jim said, I feel like my control and consistency with it is very, very strong, and my ability to attack with it is as good as my pip attack has ever been. I also love the ability to alternate between dead blocks and spinny chop blocks. It's not a rubber that is as effective if you play passively with it, but if you are active with it, change up your blocks, attack, etc., it can be very effective against high rated players. I even had a match against another player rated around 2150 where I went back and chopped with it, after getting creamed in the first game at the table, and almost pulled off the upset.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2018, 18:08 

Blade: Dr.Neubauer Bloodhound
FH: Yasaka Rakza 7
BH: SpinLord Dornenglanz OX
Dornenglanz is better than Dornenglanz 2 , is more dangerous ,more slow , more deception, in my opinion Dornenglanz and D.tecs is by far the best for push block style even with poly balls!