OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 10:22 

Blade: Stiga OCC
FH: Tibhar Evolution MXP 1.9
BH: Spinlord Dornenglanz OX
Hey Guys, im actually playing Spinlord Dornenglanz OX on a Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon.

I Chop and push at the table , especially when i serve with underspin and the other player just chops the ball , i push it very agressive with the pips.

I think the disturbing effect of the Dornenglanz is ok, but i hate the quality of the pips and i really want pips which have an other kind of disturbing effect. Balls should sink or have weird flight curves.

Which Long pips are best for this style of playing? Spin Reversal is not the most important for me.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 10:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Tibhar Dtecs without a doubt, and you'll get even more spin reversal as well, plus it's very durable. It's considerably harder to control though.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 10:38 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Some other options:

Dr. Neubauer Viper
Giant Dragon Talon
Giant Dragon Snowflake
Joola Badman

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 11:20 

I played the Dtecs for a long time on NSD but i dont found it that disturbing and very hard to control.

My opponents said it got good reversal but flying very normal( not really falling down etc. ). When I played with Dornenglanz they said it was more disturbing for them. I dont understand why everyone is loving the Dtecs, maybe i should give it a second try.

I allready ordered a Talon, maybe that will work. I could not control the Snowflake, allready played it, dont know but it doesnt work at all.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 11:43 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Problem is that the more controllable the pips are for you, the less disturbing they generally are for your opponent. I found Dornenglanz to be easy enough to control but not at all dangerous due to being too stiff. I prefer softer pips precisely because they're much more disturbing. The Talon is a bit more controllable than the Snowflake, though I found both fine from a control standpoint.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 12:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Tingle95 wrote:
I played the Dtecs for a long time on NSD but i dont found it that disturbing and very hard to control.

My opponents said it got good reversal but flying very normal( not really falling down etc. ). When I played with Dornenglanz they said it was more disturbing for them. I dont understand why everyone is loving the Dtecs, maybe i should give it a second try.

I allready ordered a Talon, maybe that will work. I could not control the Snowflake, allready played it, dont know but it doesnt work at all.

I think the trouble is that 'disturbing' is not a word that's clearly defined.

I think that especially in the lower grades, 'disturbing' has a lot to do with spin reversal, as the opponents don't fully understand spin reversal and what to do against it, and as a result balls bounce & curve in unexpected ways, which is obviously disturbing. :lol:

For me, it refers more to unpredictable changes on pace and spin, ie random effects, which I find to occur a lot more in the soft & springy long pimple, like the Dtecs and also the others that TraditionalTradesman mentioned.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 13:03 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
One of the old school LPs that is considered disturbing is Bomb Talent. Maybe give that a shot as it's inexpensive. No idea if it will work with the plastic ball or not.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 14:48 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
haggisv wrote:
Tingle95 wrote:

I think the trouble is that 'disturbing' is not a word that's clearly defined.

I think that especially in the lower grades, 'disturbing' has a lot to do with spin reversal, as the opponents don't fully understand spin reversal and what to do against it, and as a result balls bounce & curve in unexpected ways, which is obviously disturbing. :lol:

For me, it refers more to unpredictable changes on pace and spin, ie random effects, which I find to occur a lot more in the soft & springy long pimple, like the Dtecs and also the others that TraditionalTradesman mentioned.

I think that with new balls pips with sponge are more disturbing overall. Or at least the balance have shifted to benefit sponged pips. I have tried few times JSH blade + dtecs ox - chopping was very secure, but overall not much disturbance effect in table play. Easy for opponents. The advantage of ox is certain "easiness" of play, where you can just put the blade in the way of the ball without doing anything.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 22:09 

Blade: Prasidha Premade CPEN
FH: Globe 999 Commercial
BH: Moon
Just take some steroids and eat food with high fat and oils.

You will have some disturbing "long pips" growing out of your back in no time. :devil:

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 04:24 

I played the Dtecs New Edition a long time, but most players said the Dornenglanz was more Disturbing. Any other Ideas of pips?

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 23:33 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
I agree with you "Tingle95" I also use Dornenglanz OX & Dr N Viper both very deceptive :up: :clap: 8)

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 00:39 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
When I played with pips - I switched to Dtecs for a while, from Hallmark Frustration. Dtecs had great reversal, but was much more difficult to control than the Frustration. Because the Dtecs reversal was so good, it became a negative - opponents knew that they were going to get extreme reversal. If I tried to play too aggressively with it, I lost control.

With Dornenglanz, I could chopblock, drive, roll the ball - so while less reversal, the opponent was less sure what I was going to do.

Playing against long pips - I would far rather play against Dtecs than Dornenglanz.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 16:38 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Tingle95 wrote:
Hey Guys, im actually playing Spinlord Dornenglanz OX on a Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon.

I Chop and push at the table , especially when i serve with underspin and the other player just chops the ball , i push it very agressive with the pips.

I think the disturbing effect of the Dornenglanz is ok, but i hate the quality of the pips and i really want pips which have an other kind of disturbing effect. Balls should sink or have weird flight curves.

Which Long pips are best for this style of playing? Spin Reversal is not the most important for me.

Playing this morning my opponent commented on how some of my return shots were wobbling all over the place. :rock:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 03:39 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Danthespearton HQ wrote:
Well, you do need to know what you're doing when you play your short game; I remember Pushblocker saying something about how a skilled player of the same style should be able to do what he wants with his pips accordingly in terms of what the pips are capable of, and how you use that to your advantage (being able to give back dead balls, safe shots, very dangerous shots, etc.) Dtecs is most certainly an excellent pip for deception; you need to clarify on what you mean by "deception" though, because the effect you're looking for is most certainly a capability Dtecs can satisfy.

This is true. "Deception" is in the eye of the beholder...and in this case your opponent is the beholder. Everyone has a certain quality of ball that bothers them. For me it's no-spin or low spin. I hate it. With LPs or inverted.

For some people it's reversal (yes, even at the higher levels), For some people it's wobble. Others find pace change to be more bothersome than anything having to do with spin. Fast loops and a sudden change in speed is enough to bother these guys.

Further still, it's variation (intended variation or otherwise :lol:). Same stroke, same spin received, but outputting different type of ball.

So, "deception" is all relative to your opponent(s), and what they dislike. Change clubs or travel to an out of state tourney and discover that what you thought was deceptive suddenly changes.

At my club, most of those guys have a harder time with grippier pips and variation. My friend John loves playing OX...any brand. Der Echte loves playing OX...any brand. I can't beat either of them but I can only take games off them with variation and grippier LPs. But against some players 200 points above them, they struggle with pushblocking with OX pips far more than p-1R 1.0mm. It's all relative to the opponent's experience with LPs, their level, my level playing that style, and what bothers them specifically.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions