OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 08:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 11:39 

Hello everyone, what long pips have the highest dwell time? I imagine they will be quite soft and flexible. I'm not asking for necessarily the spinniest long pip and I'm even trying to avoid that if I can. For example I know that TSP Curl P4 have very flexible pips and is among the spinniest of long pips while Giant Dragon Snowflake is also quite soft and flexible but doesn't generate as much spin. So if both have similar levels of dwell time, I will choose Snowflake.

The reason I ask for rubbers available in OX is because I will be putting it on a custom sponge. The reason I seek high dwell time is because high dwell time is good for consistency and control for both chopping and attacking. I will be placing it on a thick sponge so I don't care about spin reversal but I'd like to avoid P4 and related rubbers because I would like attacks to be as dead as possible instead of having somewhat light topspin.

Right now I am leaning on Giant Dragon Snowflake but are there any others? Maybe something from SpinLord?

Thank you

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 13:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That's a tricky subject, and I'm not if there is a 'best' answer of what's most suitable.
it seems to me that the dwell time is going to depend a lot of the impact force. At high impact a soft LP like Viper, dtecs, P-4, etc is going to bottom out very easily, results in very low dwell time (ie it pings off the blade), yet at low impact these same LPs hold the ball really well, giving really good dwell time.
For attacking the stiffer LPs are generally recommended, and I think this is because they don't bottom out so easily, so you can stiff 'grip' the ball even at high impact.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 15:24 

haggisv wrote:
That's a tricky subject, and I'm not if there is a 'best' answer of what's most suitable.
it seems to me that the dwell time is going to depend a lot of the impact force. At high impact a soft LP like Viper, dtecs, P-4, etc is going to bottom out very easily, results in very low dwell time (ie it pings off the blade), yet at low impact these same LPs hold the ball really well, giving really good dwell time.
For attacking the stiffer LPs are generally recommended, and I think this is because they don't bottom out so easily, so you can stiff 'grip' the ball even at high impact.

I might be wrong but I think that applies only if you play in OX. I'm putting a soft and fast 1.8mm sponge underneath (SpinLord Waran sponge with the topsheet removed). I feel like if the pips "bottom out" sooner then it means there is less getting in the way of the sponge underneath which I think is a good thing in this situation. With stiffer pips it seems like it would prevent the ball from being caught by the soft sponge more so than something softer. Am I wrong in this thinking?

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 23:24 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Agreed about OX and soft pips. And I'm sure that's what he meant. While P4 is on Haggisv's list, to me it is the highest dwell LP around with sponge...and one of the grippiest.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2017, 03:31 

Japsican wrote:
Agreed about OX and soft pips. And I'm sure that's what he meant. While P4 is on Haggisv's list, to me it is the highest dwell LP around with sponge...and one of the grippiest.

Yes, I'm sure P4 is very soft, grippy, and has high dwell time but I guess my question at this point is if there are any long pips that have similar dwell time to P4 but don't generate as much spin on attacks.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2017, 04:56 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
GeneralSpecific wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Yes, I'm sure P4 is very soft, grippy, and has high dwell time but I guess my question at this point is if there are any long pips that have similar dwell time to P4 but don't generate as much spin on attacks.

As a rule Higher Dwell = More grip.

So, if you are specifically talking OX...for the same amount of dwell you want a slippery pip with the same dwell.

I think that D388 is good for this. If you still want some grip, P-1R ox works as well. Both are pretty slow (thus more dwell).

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2017, 06:09 

Is 388D a better choice than Snowflake?

Also, I don't want a slippery pip. I know that higher grip often means more dwell time in general. I just don't know if there is a long pip with levels of dwell time that are almost equal but produces a little less spin.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 06:07 

Japsican wrote:
GeneralSpecific wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Yes, I'm sure P4 is very soft, grippy. More information was posted above it. There was another page that was talking about it. It has slipped for a while and it was not an accident. Where it says that has been there for a long time, it means it has more value than the other one. It is not an accident. So for example, if it was at a public place, it could be different. It has high dwell time but I guess my question at this point is if there are any long pips that have similar dwell time to P4 but don't generate as much spin on attacks.

As a rule Higher Dwell = More grip.

So, if you are specifically talking OX...for the same amount of dwell you want a slippery pip with the same dwell.

I think that D388 is good for this. If you still want some grip, P-1R ox works as well. Both are pretty slow (thus more dwell).

Hello,

who says higher dwell equals more grip?