OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dr N Gangster
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 00:13 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Pushblocker wrote:
Got myself a sheet of Gangster and will try it soon, potentially this Friday...
Pips seem fairly soft which I like... I don't like that it has the glue sheet.. Will try to remove that..

Why do you find glue sheet a prob?

What discernible difference does that make?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 02:11 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
Robot Blocker wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:
Pips seem fairly soft which I like... I don't like that it has the glue sheet.. Will try to remove that..

I have played on many rubbers with and without glue sheet and I just don't like the feel with the glue sheet. With regular glue, especially if not using a lot of glue, there is some flexibility between the blade and the bottom of the rubber, helping to make the pips act like they are longer.

Without glue sheet, you can also stretch the rubber a little bit when gluing it to the blade.. With glue sheet, you can't do that..

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 10:25 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Pushblocker wrote:
Robot Blocker wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:

I have played on many rubbers with and without glue sheet and I just don't like the feel with the glue sheet. With regular glue, especially if not using a lot of glue, there is some flexibility between the blade and the bottom of the rubber, helping to make the pips act like they are longer.

Without glue sheet, you can also stretch the rubber a little bit when gluing it to the blade.. With glue sheet, you can't do that..

Thx PB, I get it, very interesting, can’t say I’ve really monitored the difference over the he years for myself, I’ve had 3 wasted years trying to get my game back with a set up to suit this facking plastic abhorrent shyte!

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 10:42 

I'll try it tomorrow night on the Hunter Flame that's supposed to be similar to the Firewall. I'm playing against the 2200+ looper so we'll see what happens. Lately, I used Cayman with Cropcircles against him as it seems to give him the maximum amount of trouble. The problem is, I can barely control this thing...

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 19:02 
Super User

I’ve got the hamster on a Dr N special blade which I have cut down to a more standard size and this combination is superb.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 20:20 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

nachalnik wrote:
I'll try it tomorrow night on the Hunter Flame that's supposed to be similar to the Firewall. I'm playing against the 2200+ looper so we'll see what happens. Lately, I used Cayman with Cropcircles against him as it seems to give him the maximum amount of trouble. The problem is, I can barely control this thing...

Good luck with that, FYI, I’ve recently put CCircles, in black for the 1st time, on a JTHWS, I find it the most controlled lp I’ve found since the spastic plastic ball came in, to the point that I feel I have pre plastic ball control again!!!

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 01:54 

I like Cropcircles, but in combination with Donic Cayman it's driving me insane. It's unbelievably good against the loops: the placement, reversal, angle. However, in the short game, the ball can just simply fly away over the table with no explanation. It's definitely the effect of balsa with whatever else they use on the Cayman but it's just crazy...

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 03:43 

nachalnik wrote:
I like Cropcircles, but in combination with Donic Cayman it's driving me insane. It's unbelievably good against the loops: the placement, reversal, angle. However, in the short game, the ball can just simply fly away over the table with no explanation. It's definitely the effect of balsa with whatever else they use on the Cayman but it's just crazy...

I was just writing elsewhere that I used to use the Nexy Labyrinthos with DTecs OX before the plastic shyte came in and loved it but found the balsa to be too...pingy? with the plastic shyte and so switched to a Dr N Matador.

After trying loads of OX in an attempt to get any trace of my cellulo-mojo back, I have settled on Gangster and the realisation that I will rarely win points outright with the pips anymore and thus have to use it to set up the FH. The Gangsta be great for this, as its control is fabulous. It reverses spin nicely, whenever you get any into it--rarely enough to do damage on the return but the odd time--and you can attack backspin comfortably with it as well. One trick I've learned with it is: instead of trying to be aggressive/assertive on every service return, occasionally receive serve passively, with a loose hand/wrist. This allows the Gansta pips to flex and bend and the result is a somewhat funky, wobblo return somewhat like the old days.

Look, Gangster is a great rubber--much better than any other OX pips I've used since the shyte plastic was introduced and much, much better than Transformer or Megablock which I also tried (talk about high-maintenance and falling off of spin etc!)--but it won't win anyone any points outright against any reasonably experienced--I'm guessing here; say, over US 1800 level?--player. What it will do it give you the confidence that the ball is going where you want it to go so you can step around or twiddle and hammer the shyte out of that plastic rock coming back at you! :D

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 07:13 

I just need it to go to the far left corner and have some wobble on it so it returns back to me high enough so that I can smash it. Now, is this too much to ask these days????

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 07:30 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

nachalnik wrote:
I just need it to go to the far left corner and have some wobble on it so it returns back to me high enough so that I can smash it. Now, is this too much to ask these days????

Re my previous post, short game is fantastic with my set up, if this helps, I have spent 3 years of fcukin around whilst trying to be competitive In comps, to get to this point, now got players biting, giving me the old “ well done bat ” remark I’ve not heard for years, lol, and started beating players way higher than me in the division, yay, onwards and upwards....

Gangster looks interesting, I’ll take note for future reference!

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 11:43 

Played a few hours tonight with the Gangster. Great control. However, the guy I played against didn't have any problems against it so I had to switch to Barricade with Dornenglanz on it. I'll try again in a few days but it seems a little too predictable. It's a shame as I had such high hopes...

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 07:17 

Blade: dr neubauer barricade
FH: spinart
BH: gangster
had a session last night with gangster ox on cayman blade that was given me,it has spinart on f/h.also used my barricade blade with gangster and 729 blue sponge on f/h,all against 3players of different styles, looper, chopper and all rounder all using reversed rubbers against me all said gangster on cayman was difficult to play against and for a first time for me it was impressive. you can hammer most serves and hard push returns very low and skiddy effect, loop returns are good and low but need lots of practice with soft hand grip to keep the hard loops short enough on close to table blocking, the spinart was too fast for me on f/h but good on b/h when twiddled.was,nt able to chop block with it yet but that is me not the rubber or blade, also not much chop away from table unless you really exaggerate the stroke,it is also good for slap smashing on high balls, will persist for longer with it but I must add the plastic ball is awful quality only a few are any good, most are good for 3 actions,counterhitting, drop shots, and side spin serves otherwise rubbish.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 08:05 

Apparently, Cayman is hard to play against whether you put Gangster on it or Cropcircles in my case. The blade is just too unpredictable. Goes from super slow to very fast in an instant. The only problem is it's tough to control! How was Gangster on the Barricade?

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 23:51 

Blade: dr neubauer barricade
FH: spinart
BH: gangster
gangster on barricade was easy to control against any spin and no spin, the harder they loop the more the pimples work, not bad reversal and chopping is good enough, hitting serves etc is good. allround I think its the best lp since drastic ball was introduced, hopefully they are on the right track now with lp rubbers. I must add though dual bat or even triple bat set ups may be needed depending on opposition styles, because sometimes you need good backspin to make errors as well as float and no spin balls.its amazing how many misses by opponents from a chop block using cayman especially, but hard to master the shot, I am working on it now as I think in most situations the cayman or even a good carbon blade will make the pimples work best.there is a good vid on youtube of 2 russians using gangster on different blades if you just type in dr neubaeuer gangster they should come up, they are good standard players even though one player is handicapped on his non playing hand.all in all one of the best shots with barricade is the angle short shot that can be done unexpectantly and the different speed when twiddling especially under the table on no spin serve returns.which is what a lot of players do against lp as they expect a slow ball with little spin but get the opposite.still in learning curve with technique with gangster but will persist as its fun learning and that's what its all about for me.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 23:57 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
what would you say are the pros and cons of gangster vs DG or similar lps?

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next