OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Chopping with ox lp ?
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2020, 23:51 
Super User

I am an modern defender, That mostly chops with My lp.
and are using the following :

Joola Chen Weixing
Butterfly Tenergy 05 2,1
Tibhar Dtechs 0,5.

I find the Dtechs to be too fast close to the table and chops ofren goes too Long, when facing Hard hitters.
I am thinking about trying out an ox lp for chopping and blocking over the table.

Does any of you have succes with ox chopping, and which rubbers would you recommend ?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 00:58 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
I like the ox d.tecs myself. Haven't found anything better. If you want similar but somewhat slower... dr. neaubauer trouble maker, joola badman reloaded, joola CWX, or other slick reversal pips. However, the more reversal something possesses the higher speed I find it also has. A pip like curl PH is quite slow, but very minimal reversal. You may be better off changing to a slower blade if speed is your biggest concern, since you can't really get the good reversal pip with low rebound unless you add sponge/slower blade.

Also I don't really 'chop' that much with the d.tecs anymore. I find a kind of downward 'bopping' of the ball returns a good amount of spin, using very little movement. If I want variety, I will attempt to really brush the ball and rake the pips across it to increase reversal. For most shots though, it doesn't seem overly useful trying to POWER CHOP the ball with OX.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 02:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Try this 0.3 sponge under ox Detecs,chopping is easier,the speed is more manageable,worked well on balsa 3.0 and 2.5,its as near to ox as you'll get with thin sponge if I wasn't doing as well with 388d ox I would be using this,strangely didn't work anywhere near as well with the 388d as the de tecs :(
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... fBGDIrRUph

Last edited by dazzler on 15 Jul 2020, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 02:54 
Super User

Hi Dazzler.

What kind of sponge do you mean, and where do I get it ?

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 02:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Can you see the link?

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 03:41 
Super User

Sorry, I am blind :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 03:47 
Super User

dazzler wrote:
Try this 0.3 sponge under ox Detecs,chopping is easier,the speed is more manageable,worked well on balsa 3.0 and 2.5,its as near to ox as you'll get with thin sponge if I wasn't doing as well with 388d ox I would be using this,strangely didn't work anywhere near as well with the 388d as the de tecs :(
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... fBGDIrRUph

Do you use a standard waterbased Glue to Glue sponge to blade, and ox lp to sponge ?

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 04:59 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Part of the decision about which rubber to get might depend on whether your primary weapon is chopping or blocking. If it's chopping, then something like the Spinlord Agenda in OX is an excellent and consistent chopping rubber. It's not going to give you the highest reversal in blocking because it's high-friction. (A word of caution: I haven't tested the Agenda with the ABS ball, so not sure how the change to ABS may have affected its efficacy.) If you tend more towards blocking, then I'd second the Dr. N. Troublemaker recommendation. It's a very high control rubber and is excellent for blocking and is very consistent in chopping as well, but you won't generate a massive amount of underspin on chops since it's a lower-friction rubber (so you'll be getting more spin-reversal than anything else).

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 14:34 
Super User

Hello,

From what I've read and heard, DMS Kamikaze does a more than decent job of blocking and chopping ... It's supposed to be slower than D.tecs ...

Spinlord Dornenglanz could be another option ... Once again, slower than D.tecs

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 15:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Do you use a standard waterbased Glue to Glue sponge to blade, and ox lp to sponge? :
There is an adhesive sheet on one side of this sponge already which goes onto the blade,then you apply glue to the top of the sponge for the pips.
This is an elastic sponge so helps spin manipulation,not like the usual dampening type sponges that I have seen
Regarding glue,I don't know about standard water based for pips I use a 2 in 1 glue from a craft store,like for photo mounting(tacky finish when dry)

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 20:30 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
As the wise economist, Thomas Sowell, once said: "There are no solutions, there are only trade-offs."

To chop as best as you possibly can far from the table, you will likely need some sponge, especially at the higher levels. But the real question is, what is "good enough"? If you *gain* a lot of control at the table and only lose a little oomphf off your chopping, then it may be a worthwhile trade-off!

In other words, what is the bottleneck to your performance right now?

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 02:05 
Super User

Joo Se Kev wrote:
As the wise economist, Thomas Sowell, once said: "There are no solutions, there are only trade-offs."

To chop as best as you possibly can far from the table, you will likely need some sponge, especially at the higher levels. But the real question is, what is "good enough"? If you *gain* a lot of control at the table and only lose a little oomphf off your chopping, then it may be a worthwhile trade-off!

In other words, what is the bottleneck to your performance right now?

The biggest problem is the speed of the lp.
I struggle with chopping close to the table and the game over the table.
I Think that i Will stay with a thin sponge.
Which Low friction rubbers would you recommend ? ( i cannot control friction rubbers in service return )

I am looking at the following rubbers :

Saviga V
Saviga monster 77
Dornenglanz ( ox)

Is there some crucial that i am missing ?
It is important that They Excel at chopping. It is a Big part of My game.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 03:26 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Here in Sweden there are a lot of players uses Dornenglanz for chopping. Mostly in ox but some uses it with sponge. Both Fabian Åkerström and Gustaf Ericsson (the two best choppers) uses Dornenglanz (Fabian with some sponge I think).

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2020, 17:18 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
Metal TT Death is also quite good to chop with (in OX). A lot slower than D.TecS in OX. A bit more friction but still quite easy to deal with receives etc.

Personallt I always go back to D.TecS and I've solved the speed issue by changing blades. DMS Wizard really tones down D.TecS but doesn't reduce the reversal that much. I can quite happily chop hard loops from good players during drills (but not in matchplay but that comes down to lousy footwork).

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 04:01 
Super User

On a Google search, I found a few recommending an grippy OX pip for ox chopping.
Has anybody any experience with this kind of ox pip, will it reduce the spin sentivity ?

Has anybody tried a Curp P1r in ox ?