OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: LP Advice Needed
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 09:49 

Hi,

I've been playing with LP's for a few years now, close to a table chop blocker. My current tournament rating is 1860. Lately, I've begun to play much more aggressively with my BH with the emphasis on reversal and placement. My current go-to setup is Andro Fibercomp/ Dornenglanz. I do like the setup but the control for the kind of a game I'm playing right now is missing. Any suggestion on a reasonably slow, controlled LP that can be used to hit? I don't need it to be very deceptive.

Thank you

Post subject: Re: LP Advice Needed
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 13:32 

Blade: Gionnis carb def
FH: H3-50
BH: Talon
Viper for me is pretty easy to hit with.
755 is always good. CC ain't bad either.

I would say also that I am doing a giveaway contest on the Schmerz thread. Only two others have entered, the odds are good right now.
I don't know its properties yet, but it seems very "non-bouncy", billed to be good for hitting...

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 20:38 
Super User

Feint Soft OX,
TSP P3 alpha R OX

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 23:14 

Do pips need to be harder or softer to be able to deliver controlled hitting?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 15:02 

I've been using Viper OX for the last year, on a FIbercomp. Switched from D Tecs. Feel like I have better control with Viper, and just as good reversal. I mainly chop block and punch block, with placement in mind.

USATT- 1832

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 23:02 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Viper is a good all around pip. Good reversal, good for hitting. My biggest issue with it was that is was a little expensive and it wasn't that durable. I play an active style with my pips, not only defending but looking to attack, and I really have come to like the Spinlord Dornenglanz 2. Gives me good reversal, and over the past few months I've become pretty good at hitting with it. It's a fair amount cheaper than Viper, and been far more durable also.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 01:33 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I used Dornenglanz and found it very hard to control on my Gergely *fast blade) yet have little trouble controlling Dtecs. Haven't tried Dornenglanz 2 so can't comment. I'm considering giving the Viper a go as I tried it on Haggisv's setup and rather liked it.

It's funny but you'd think on a slower blade, anything should be controllable (especially when you are used to a fast LP blade), yet I don't find this to totally hold true. I have a DEF blade and I find it is just as easy to overshoot the table when misreading spin as it is off the Gergely. The only thing easier with a DEF blade is keeping drop shots short off the LP...much easier than Dtecs on Gergely.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 01:39 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I not only like the DEF blade for the pips (easier to block the really hard shots), but also when blocking with forehand. I think a lot of it comes down to blade angle, no matter how slow the blade and pips, if you don't have the angle correct and read the spin/speed, it's not going to do the work for you. It just makes it a little easier and gives you a little more room for error.

I never used the "regular" Dornenglanz, but over time I've become a real fan of the DG2.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 14:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

You know its funny Doug, but I bought the DEF blade mainly due to one player who I had not beaten in about 4 years. Tried it out to see if I could beat him by preventing his powerloop (his main weapon) by playing short. I got a set off him and actually played some good FH smashes on him even with the reduced blade power, but still lost. I played him 2 Mondays ago with my trusty Gergely and beat him in 5 with just a few tactical changes he wasn't used to...like rolling the pips to his BH instead of driving them to his FH, which is what I'd normally do to him....worked a charm :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 19:41 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

That's cool, it's fun to finally get over the top against someone you've wanted to beat for a long time! :clap:

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 21:11 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

You know its funny Doug, but I bought the DEF blade mainly due to one player who I had not beaten in about 4 years. Tried it out to see if I could beat him by preventing his powerloop (his main weapon) by playing short. I got a set off him and actually played some good FH smashes on him even with the reduced blade power, but still lost. I played him 2 Mondays ago with my trusty Gergely and beat him in 5 with just a few tactical changes he wasn't used to...like rolling the pips to his BH instead of driving them to his FH, which is what I'd normally do to him....worked a charm :lol: