OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 11:41 
Reverend Reversal

Blade: Rendler Smart
FH: Hurricane 8 hard
BH: Grass DTechs OX
Hi guys,

I recently slapped on a sheet of DTechs (red, OX) on my Rendler blade, and am liking how it performs. Just a question I have for you DTechs users--does the DTechs, like many other LPs, "break in" after awhile, and actually become better/more controlled? I have heard that the base of the pips on several LPs develop tiny tears at the base, and this gives them a slightly softer, more controlled attribute. Not sure if this is really true, but it is what I heard. Again, does this happen with DTechs?

Blade - Rendler Smart FH - Hurricane 8 hard black BH - Grass DTechs OX red
Blade - BBC 9/10/9 FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Dragon Talon OX red
Blade - Hallmark Aurora FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Joola Badman OX red

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 14:41 

I have found that over time the D-tecs does lose a small amount of surface friction through use. When this happens the block become a little better. However, I feel a loss of control when attaching when the rubber reaches this stage. Because of this, I change the Dtecs often. For blocking, older sheets of the rubber are better.

Joola Badman OX
Joola Ultra Express 2.0

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 15:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes that's my perception too. It does not really take time to wear in because reversal is quite good to start with, and it only really loses grip slowly over time, characteristic don't change significantly. The pips are soft & elastic and quite wide, so they don't crack easily, making the rubber quite durable.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 21:37 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Hi Jim! I found the same as these guys. The reason I changed away from the Grass is I wanted a little better control, especially in attacking. While the Grass probably gets the most reversal that I've seen a a long pip in the last few years, you know how much attacking means to my game. I know you've used the Talon a lot, I found it quite similar to the Grass, but a little more controllable. The Dornenglanz 2 I'm using now doesn't get quite the same reversal, but I find that I can vary things nicely with it, and through the pace and variation I am able to force errors, and it's great for attacking.

If you can master the Grass, with your skill you would be REALLY tough!!!

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 09:40 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Agree with the others in this thread. Alongside Dornenglanz, DtecS is the LP I have used most, and I concur with the findings of other users.

I also agree that if you learn to control DtecS, it's very very dangerous, but when you start to play actively, and impose your will on the ball, the degree of difficulty in using the rubber is quite high. I've settled for a slightly less dangerous, but more controllable LP for now.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 02:32 
Reverend Reversal

Blade: Rendler Smart
FH: Hurricane 8 hard
BH: Grass DTechs OX
Thanks for the input, everyone! Now I know what to expect from the DTechs as time passes. I had been playing with original Dornenglanz for the past several months, and liked it, but there some things about the DTechs that really attract me, and fit well with my game. Inn addition, I think the warranty on my Dornenglanz expired, because I suddenly lost 5 pips in 4 days. It lasted about three months before that happened.

Hi Doug! Sorry I didn't get a chance to come to the Milwaukee club when I was there last. I did get to Madison that evening, and had some great games with Aaron, Peter, Tom, and Paul. I also hear that your game has been improving a lot lately! I also ordered a sheet of Dornenglanz 2, which is sitting unopened in a box. When there are no tournaments in the immediate future, I may slap that on my blade and see how it plays. I really to like the control of the Dornenglanz, and if Dornenglanze 2 is like the original in this respect, I will give it a go eventually.

I think that if I played the DTechs on most other blades, I wouldn't like it. Hard to control, as others have stated. But, on this Rendler Smart blade...if one relaxes the hand on impact, it is amazing how much pace one can take off the ball. I look forward to seeing you at the Badger Open, Doug! I see that we will be in a couple of events together. Between you and I, let's pip the living bejeebers outta those guys, OK? :lol:

Blade - Rendler Smart FH - Hurricane 8 hard black BH - Grass DTechs OX red
Blade - BBC 9/10/9 FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Dragon Talon OX red
Blade - Hallmark Aurora FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Joola Badman OX red

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017, 10:05 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Haha sounds good to me Jim! I'm looking forward to see how much my rating goes up when the Edgeball ratings are processed. About time that I get back on the upswing again. :)

EDIT: Ratings just posted online, went up over 100 points to 1863! :)

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2017, 21:54 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
JimWeiland wrote:
I also ordered a sheet of Dornenglanz 2, which is sitting unopened in a box. When there are no tournaments in the immediate future, I may slap that on my blade and see how it plays. I really to like the control of the Dornenglanz, and if Dornenglanze 2 is like the original in this respect, I will give it a go eventually.

Just to curb your expectations, DG2 doesn't play like DG 1. It's a different beast, highly controlled, less dangerous in passive strokes, great for chopping. It's a great pip, but it's very different. Easier to play than DG1 IMO, but I'm a chopper.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 13:22 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
I've been trying DG 2 for about a month now, and I've lost a lot of my backspin on chops as compared to Dtecs unless I make a perfect chop, I think. Also I don't have the big reversal on my pushes with DG 2. I've been trying to hit more with them, and they do get on the table more, but they just don't have the zip of the Dtecs hits, I don't think.

I've played Dtecs on and off for about 5 years, and I don't think they wear in much, but they do wear out if you hit with them. I already had control problems from the get go, and then the pips start cracking off at the base, and I'd have even less control.

Perhaps the moral of the story is that I need to adjust more to what I play with rather than trying so many different ones looking for the holy grail of rubber that can chop, push with reversal, and hit., all well.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 18:06 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
I agree with the tenor of all these posts. I think it gets more dangerous with wear but then reaches a stage where it gets too dead and loses reversal. I have a new sheet on. I just need a new knee and I might be able to use it!

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 22:01 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I just played Jim at a tournament last weekend and he is doing VERY well with the Grass D Tec S. Very tough defense, and he had a win over a 2100 level player who is normally very good against pips. He beat me 3-2, but it was one heck of a dogfight. Fun match.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!