OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Your current setup
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 22:37 

Can you please discuss your current setup? The pluses and the minuses in terms of control on placement, reversal, trickiness, etc.

Your info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Your current setup
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 04:06 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Style: Chopper, Classic defense with brief moments of Modern Defense.

I am finally used to the Joo Se Hyuk Blade. I currently am in-between FL3 1.3mm and P-1R 1.4-1.7mm. Not sure which I like better yet...there are some similarities and some vast differences. On the FH I have Secret Flow Chop in 1.5mm...

BTY Joo Se Hyuk Blade:
Pros:
Stable, fast on offense, stiff (if you like that), best blocking oversized blade I've tried. Best attacking oversized blade I've tried.
Cons:
Heavy, thus forces you to time shots (which is good and bad). Weight also makes it harder to do mid-stroke adjustments or last second strokes if you are in the wrong position or need to change directions. Defplay for example is so light, even if you think the ball is going FH but it instead goes to the BH, you can quickly adjust and get a bat on the ball last second....

Feint Long III 1.3mm

Pros:
Dampening, Grippy, Slow, Consistent, horizontal chopping stroke. The horizontal stroke is a benefit because it is harder for the attacker to discern the difference between an LP or an inverted stroke. Better against No-Spin
Adding and manipulating spin is great, best against no-spin and low spin. Great at the table. You can actually counter spin pushes, meaning if you push a push (inverted-style) you will actually send back low to moderate backspin.
Attacks are consistent, but slow and not dangerous, so it's like a slow SP or inverted hit (I still see this as a pro, because you are more guaranteed to get it on the table.)
Cons:
Spin sensitivity makes it harder on serve return, so be sure you can read. It's grip makes pushing underspin actually difficult because it's somewhere in-between an SP and an LP...so I struggle with how to actually do the stroke and what angle to apply. VERY heavy chops are kind of scary if you aren't ready to match your bat speed to the incoming spin. Also, if you bat speed is very different from the incoming spin, the throw changes due to the grip.

P-1R 1.4.1.7mm
Pros:
Highest potential for backspin on chops, without being unable to manipulate. It's borrows more spin than FL3, but has the potential for more deception and high end chops. Horizontal strokes which make it harder to discern from inverted, but not quite as much as FL3.
Cons:
People say this is a difficult rubber demanding you to always be in good position, but honestly I feel like it is easier to control than most rubbers for me. It's slightly heavier, so if weight is an issue, you might look to add thinner sponge to mitigate the weight of your setup. Some people say it's fast, I find it to be slow...

Secret Flow Chop 1.5
Pros: Great control for forehand chops.
1.5 is light
Tackiness allows for nice short game
Enough power for offense, even in thin sponge.
Didn't bottom out like Refelctoid, TSP Triple Spin.
Great for classic defense, while still having the potential for offense.
Cool name
Slow
Cons:
Anyone who uses a tensor or Tenergy will think it's slow (I don't think it's too slow).
Rarely does it bottom out, but might on very hard shots.

I changed from T64 to Secret Flow...opposite rubbers. I liked the 64 a lot, but it was too fast for me. I have tried T80 on another JSH, and felt it was just right, so I may give that a try in 1.7 or 1.9. My Xiom Omega Asia 2.0 that I've been using on the Defplay and VKM was awful on the JSH. Not sure why...just bad.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 10:19 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Blade: Yuto Muramatsu
Pros: its lighter than a joo se hyuk. It's fast for surprise offense. It is firm. But not too hard. It looks awesome.
Cons: it's faster than most defensive blades. It chops well for me but a super fast loop can get away from you.

Fh:tenergy 64 1.7.
Pros: good spin, fast, low throw. Not as much spin as t05 or h3 but it's still good. Fishes well. Not bad for chopping.surprisingly good for looping. Blocks well
Cons: it's fast and may not chop as well as a Chopping inverted.

Bh: P1r 1.4-1.7.
Pros: chops well with lots of potential as Japsican said.
Cons: could be fast but I find it to be the most consistent in terms of what happens when you do each shot versus other thicknesses of p1r.

I'm probably playing almost to my peak. Not bad. Just gotta find time for tournaments.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 12:53 

How does Joo compare with NSD?

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 09:50 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Setup:

Blade: Hadraw Shield ST
Forehand: TSP Super spinpips 2 chop sponge
Backhand: Badman reloaded OX long pips

I'm using a close to the table push-blocking kind of style now, with an occasional smash on the forehand. But mainly blocking to hard angles, and attacking backspin balls aggressively with the long pips. A wrist injury made me change up my style, so no more backhand looping for a good while...

Using this setup, I've not lost to anyone at the local club! And I'm not sure why...

I lose to people using TSP Curl p3-r alpha in 1.0mm+ sponge, and I also lose to some people using the DMS mega-block 1.5...

Yet, I've not lost using the badman reloaded backhand! I can't really pinpoint what makes the difference -- why I lose to the same person using the LP with sponge and the anti-spin (which has much more reversal than badman), yet win with the OX pips. I think it has to do with faster dead balls/some reversal. With the sponged LP, it's too inverted like when blocking or hitting. With the anti-spin, it might be too predictable and too slow for my style. Badman has enough grip to attack dead balls, but not quite enough to really be threatened by many serves. You can bump back basically any that come at you. I must look quite silly contorting like some kind of freak to use the backhand on the forehand side of the table to receive serves :lol:

The forehand smash does feel pretty flimsy on the hadraw shield, especially with the spinpips 2. It gets the job done, with good control. But against better players it might not be enough. Forehand smashing isn't my main weapon now, as I try to win pushblocker style with the backhand. Though I am more aggressive with it than pushblocker, meaning I attack with the forehand more often. I struggle to fight the EJ and wonder if a new blade would help... yet, at the same time my win rate is higher than ever!

I have the DMS phantom blade that I might give a shot with the long pips. Or perhaps I'll just glue on a sheet of fast short pips like joola express ultra on the hadraw shield and see how it goes. But man, it sure is fun watching people run around due to well placed blocks!

/rant

Oh yes, the other I forgot... toying with innerforce layer zlc and the p1-r OX pips after seeing the korea girl videos posted here recently. Much more precision is required with each stroke, I'll say! Far less forgiving than the badman reloaded, yet also far more versatile. I can chop block better, attack better, and chop better -- but the blocking isn't quite as good, because it kills off extra spin that the badman would send back to the opponent. I'd say it fits an aggressive style of pushblocking and I think I will pursue it for awhile. I don't think my points are won by reversal much anyway.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 23:30 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Setup:

FH: DHS Dragonow

This is entirely accidental. After spending most of the year working on my FH with inverted rubber, I was feeling a bit demotivated, and shoved SP back on my FH for a bit of fun, and found that I played a lot better. The inverted work I did has directly improved my SP play. The Dragonow was the rubber I had immediately to hand that was the right size. For my style it's fine. Of its breed (Chinese hitting pip) it's one of the ones capable of generating the most spin, but also isn't frightfully reactive against, eg, service. It's fast and crisp. I think of it as being a bit like 802-40, but with more of a classic hitting feel to it. I find 802-40 feels a bit like a slow inverted to me.

BH: Hellfire OX

This to me is the ideal OX LP at present. It has lots and lots of reversal, plenty of effect, is slow enough to make it controllable, but is fast enough to be dangerous. Massive spin on chops.

Blade: Nittaku Barwell Fleet

I came across this blade by chance, as a friend of mine imports and sells them. I now have two. I must say it's the nicest blade I've ever used. Beautiful craftmanship, feels lovely in the hand, and has a massive sweet spot. It's 7 ply, two of which are glass fibre. I'd say it's OFF-/OFF, but is plenty controlled enough on the BH.

Style: Modern defence

I tend to stay fairly close to the table, because SP lose their effectiveness as you move away from the table, so my defence tends to be a little more on the push-block side than the chop side, but I do, and like to chop away from the table, depending on the opponent. My style is all about forcing the opponent to push, hunting my FH - where I will open up from anywhere, and then come in with SP attacks. If the ball comes back to my BH, I'll usually push/chop/bump it back, and then repeat the cycle until I hit a winner.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 04:21 

Great reviews! How's Hellfire compared to Talon?

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 15:38 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I've not used Talon, so I can't comment. For me, Hellfire combines the best of Dornenglanz and Dtecs. Although I'm tempted by the new Dr N, there's really nothing wrong with my current LP, so I'm not really inclined to waste time and money on something that 'might' be fractionally better!

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2017, 03:38 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus (thick balsa ALL+)
FH: DHS G666 1.5mm or G888 1.8mm
BH: Giant Dragon Dragon Talon or Dragon Talon National Team edition

Use FH to serve with heavy spin as also for the occasional kill shot but I hardly attack
BH: use it to either block and take the pace off the ball and block underspin or to aggressively push against underspin as an offensive weapon, placing the ball at inconvenient spots for the opponent..

I have had a hard time getting back to 2200 with my current setup.. Used to be 2200's to low 2300's with my old setup.. Same blade and similar FH rubber but I used to have the "OLD" version of Tibhar Grass DTecS which was by far the best long pips ever.. When they changed it around 2011 or so, it became a lot less dangerous and I switched to Talon. I was unable to get anywhere close to the playing level with Talon than I used to be with DTecS..

Last edited by Pushblocker on 20 Oct 2017, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2017, 10:11 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Equipment:

Blade: OSP Virtuoso (OFF-)
FH: Nittaku Renanos Hold 1.8
BH: Spinlord Stachelfeuer OX

Playing style: I guess I’m somewhere between a modern defender and an all-rounder.

FH: Variable but mostly attack oriented. Topspin, smash, chopping, pushing, blocking etc.
BH: Defence oriented. Blocking, pushing, chopping. Occasional attacking shots, primarily against underspin.

Background:

Played for decades with Mark V (FH) & Anti-Power (BH). Switched this year to somewhat faster FH rubbers and LP on BH. Still struggling a bit for consistency with LP’s but I think Stachelfeuer is a good choice for someone coming from anti because it is relatively slow and controllable and doesn't react much to incoming spin. It blocks and chops reasonably well and on the OSP blade I can get enough speed on hits.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2017, 15:06 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Blade: Joola Chen Weixing
It's fast enough without being too stiff. I am testing a lot other blades like JSH, but especially the FH side is tough to get working. With slower blades I have problems of hitting past anyone over 1600. :( I like the big sized blade head and weight (85g) of it.

FH: T05
Its fast and spinny. It pushes well. It's very linear. It counterloops well. Overall it's propably cheaper to buy it than to try other less expensive rubbers all the time. I play spinny FH game, so it fits the bill.

BH: Spinlord Agenda 1.0
Maybe the best controlled pips for my style. Great control for chopping and for rolling. I am not afraid of opponents abusing my BH anymore. With nearly every pips I have feared players that just keep playing to my BH until I make mistake. Now I am happy with pushing duels. I think that my level has gone up 50 points after moving to Agenda (despite of otherwise poorer physical condition.) Agenda is not good for fast attacks, best strategy seems to be to avoid anything too aggressive or too fancy. Chops, even when high, seem to keep loopers in problems. My style has moved from blocker to chopper, and I think it's good move with new plastic balls, as the security is more importand compared to disturbance. And still, in tournaments I face 20-30 % of (otherwise decent) players that can't play against Agenda at all. So I get easy wins and it saves energy for tougher matches. Compared to ox pips 1.0 has just more variation in shots, so it disturbs more the experiended pips opponents.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017, 23:46 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Andro Rasanter r47 2.3mm
BH: S&T Hellfire 0.9
BTW Joo Sae Hyuk st:
Great speed for attacking
With a suitable sponge size, great for chopping

Can be too heavy ( mines 99g so not bad(my friend has one 105g which is too much personally))
A bit head heavy

Tsp Curl p4 1mm:
Great control
Good for suprise attacks
Very forgiving (control is so great no need for perfect technique every time)

Compared to other pips, not much reversal
Not so dangerous when in long rallys

DHS Tin Arc 5:
Great amount of spin
Quite fast
A lot of control(not too quick for chopping)

If used to rubbers like tenergy, you may fell you need more speed

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!