OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 16:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 18:33 
Super User

Hey everyone. I have my Darker 7p.2a blade that is not currently been used and am looking to try out some long chopping pimples on the backhand as a setup.
The reason for choosing this blade is that the Darker is probably the best blade I have ever used, the blade is worn in and it can play a slow game and a fast game for variety.
I am not a pimple player by any means but am looking for some suggestions as to what long pimple rubber I should try or if I should go for inverted chopping rubber.

The characteristics I am looking for are: Heavy backspin, little to some deviation, does not interfere with forehand rubber or forehand shots, can push confidently and ball grips to bat and does not fly off of bat.

If anyone knows any suggestions I would be happy to try. BTW It's not for sale.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 23:18 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
1) Heavy backspin

This is a function of speed of bat and angle. Any LP on the market will deliver heavy backspin, if you play the right shot. Those which are on the grippy side of the spectrum will produce more, more easily, but will also respond to incoming spin more readily. Basically, anything will do.

2) Little to some deviation

All LP will provide some degree of uncertainty - that's in their nature. Some are considered to be more unpredictable than others. But none will prevent you from playing sensible shots. Basically, anything will do.

3) Does not interfere with FH rubber/shots

I have literally no idea what this means.

4) Pushing confidently

Pushing confidently is a function of your ability to get your timing right, and your bat angle right. LP are actually quite hard to push with - the ball will tend to pop up. It takes a lot of practice. On the whole, again, a more grippy LP will make it easier for you to push with.

5) Ball grips to bat

To a degree, all LP provide some grip, but some are relatively ungrippy. Whether it flies off the bat is a function of your timing, bat angle, and touch. A faster blade will tend to make it harder to get the timing and touch right.

You don't mention how much money you have to spend. I would suggest something like Feint Long III in 0.5mm sponge, or maybe 1.0mm, as an ideal. It's one of the most grippy, and easy to control. However, it's expensive. If you want something cheap, I'd probably try Friendship 755.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 22:12 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Andro Rasanter r47 2.3mm
BH: S&T Hellfire 0.9
I have some suggestions:

If you're a comple beginner to chopping, I'd go for something with a very soft sponge, as they're very easy to use and have a lot of control. As you're new to pips, you properly aren't willing to spend a lot of cash on the big names. If you are willing to spend money, I reccomend feint 3 or tsp curl p4, and for sponge thickness, I'd go 0.5mm as it gives more control, but 1mm is still got good control but is more deadly. I'd stay away from 1.5mm as it's to hard to play with it, and until you're a player who's mastered chopping .5/1 is great.

Now, if you're looking for the most reversal (backspin potential when chopping) you have a few options.Most Dr.Neubauer pips, such as K.O, produce a huge amount of backspin, but of course, needing the right technique.
Of course though, arguably the greatest overall pips for the chopping style, p1r are great in all aspects, reversal deception ect...

If you're looking for cheaper options, I've tried pips like sword scilla and galaxy qing, two good pimples, great for chopping blocking and have good control, but, as the price suggests, the pips can break reasonably easily if you play a lot or attack hard with the pips, but, with that said, my second sheet of scylla has lasted a while now, but the first broke in a couple of months.

Hope I helped :D :Chop: :Chop:

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 00:37 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
You need a very grippy LP like TSP P4 or BTY Feint III, in 1.0/1.1 or 1.5/1.3 thickness. Go black. All LP's will interfere with your FH shots because of the weight difference (LP's are lighter).

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 08:59 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Globe 979 OX

Good, chopping, blocking, punching

$8 at ColesTT.com

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 08:04 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Lorre wrote:
You need a very grippy LP like TSP P4 or BTY Feint III, in 1.0/1.1 or 1.5/1.3 thickness. Go black. All LP's will interfere with your FH shots because of the weight difference (LP's are lighter).

Why go black iyho"? . Genuine ??

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 20:02 

Blade: T11 zhang jike dhs pg7
FH: Skyline tg3, 804-40
BH: Reactor thundet
Hi,
Iam new to this site and new to this thread. Just want to share a post that I made in another thread about lp that my son and I experimented on.

My review on this rubber is not on a stock CK531A. My son and I experimented on making the cheapest and the easiest long pimple to use. The first condition was satisfied by buying the cheapest long pimple rubber and we found palio ck531a ox on ebay for 11 dollars a pair. However, ox long pimple are very hard to use or transition to if your coming from inverted rubber. In order to satisfy the second condition we should take the route of long pimple with sponge. We went to Micheals craftstore and bought a sheet of 1.8mm sponge sheet for less than a dollar. Glued the Palio CK531A ox on it tben glued the rubber sponge combo on an all wooden blade which we bought from a garage sale. The result = cheapest racket + the most disruptive long pimple that I have ever seen or used. It reminds me of the original TSP curl without the hardship of learning how to use it. The rubber is so easy to use that I was able to chop and block within 5 mins of using it. Knuckle ball, worble, spin reversal and change in speed they are all there. This combo is so disruptive, my son became frustrated with it. Good that we made a video on our first use of the rubber. We compered it to a sponged CK531A from palio and Dhs c8. Video link is here - https://youtu.be/oFCmfsT0FaU Notice how easy my son cope up with C8 and sponged CK531A from Palio. How he became frustrated with the way the ball change its phase on the homebrew ck531a. By the way this set up is legal and with in ITTF regulation.
Do hope this can help.
By the way I am currently making another video Zeus OX glued on a blue sponge that I purchased from the sMe craftstore. Will post a link here ASAP.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 22:06 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Robot Blocker wrote:
Why go black iyho"? . Genuine ??

As a rule Black LP is grippier than red LP.

sipokoyto wrote:
Hi,
Iam new to this site and new to this thread. Just want to share a post that I made in another thread about lp that my son and I experimented on.

My review on this rubber is not on a stock CK531A. My son and I experimented on making the cheapest and the easiest long pimple to use. The first condition was satisfied by buying the cheapest long pimple rubber and we found palio ck531a ox on ebay for 11 dollars a pair. However, ox long pimple are very hard to use or transition to if your coming from inverted rubber. In order to satisfy the second condition we should take the route of long pimple with sponge. We went to Micheals craftstore and bought a sheet of 1.8mm sponge sheet for less than a dollar. Glued the Palio CK531A ox on it tben glued the rubber sponge combo on an all wooden blade which we bought from a garage sale. The result = cheapest racket + the most disruptive long pimple that I have ever seen or used. It reminds me of the original TSP curl without the hardship of learning how to use it. The rubber is so easy to use that I was able to chop and block within 5 mins of using it. Knuckle ball, worble, spin reversal and change in speed they are all there. This combo is so disruptive, my son became frustrated with it. Good that we made a video on our first use of the rubber. We compered it to a sponged CK531A from palio and Dhs c8. Video link is here - https://youtu.be/oFCmfsT0FaU Notice how easy my son cope up with C8 and sponged CK531A from Palio. How he became frustrated with the way the ball change its phase on the homebrew ck531a. By the way this set up is legal and with in ITTF regulation.
Do hope this can help.
By the way I am currently making another video Zeus OX glued on a blue sponge that I purchased from the sMe craftstore. Will post a link here ASAP.

Welcome to the forum, sipokoyto! :)

I've seen the video you posted. I didn't get the impression it was easy to use, in contrary. I've seen a father who couldn't keep the first loop on the table, caused perhaps by the lack of space. I've seen as son having trouble with slow balls, no spin balls and high balls coming from the LP: he just loops them all the same way. If anything, he was bothered by the speed of the rubber, but not by anything else. If I may guess: he's used to playing against his father, who uses the paddle with the C8 on it.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 02:59 

Blade: T11 zhang jike dhs pg7
FH: Skyline tg3, 804-40
BH: Reactor thundet
So nice to here a reply. I am currently teaching my son to play against long pimple players. Among the lp rubbers that I trained him in the past are tsp, zeus, c8, sponged palio ck531a ( from manufacturer pulled from the factory assembly line), feint, friendship, milkyway,threesword. I am also training him against short pimples and anti. On the side of this I also test rubbers as my previous job is material testing of plastics, polymers and rubbers. In my testing using laboratory equipments I have access to. I found no scientific proof that color can determine the tackiness or grippiness of a rubber. Some manufacturer might follow this scheme but to say that black is grippier than red is totally wrong. I have compiled for my sons training more than 50 rubbers from inverted to pips out ox in order to teach him of the behaviour. He is less than 3 years in table tennis and iam quite amazed by how much he improved. Regarding the point that he is used to c8 only i am attaching here all the rackets that i am training him on and his judgment on the homebrew palio ck531 is in comparisson to all the pips on the pics. Beside the wobble which is not evident in the video, the change in phase and speed is so unpredictable because the sound is the same.
I am a penholder that uses both inverted and short pip on forehand and inverted on the back. The ease of use is based on what i experienced. That video captured the first time i used that rubber.
Do hope this help and sorry if i caused some confussion.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 11:13 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Thanks Lorre, I agree re colours, I always used black inverted and red lp for better reversal, just recently found black lp working better on this new plastic ball that has set me back for last 3 years and now starting to get that pre plastic feeling of control back!