OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 17:45 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Andro Rasanter r47 2.3mm
BH: S&T Hellfire 0.9
Hi guys,

I'm currently playing with LP, mainly chopping on backhand and attacking With FH but do have the ability to come in and chop block. In competition, I'm struggling a lot playing hitters/SP. What they're doing is first spinning normally allowing me to chop, but then just hitting it flat with a lot of power (mabye a little spin) and I just fall apart, I can rarely chop them back, and if I do it has little backspin as the incoming ball was flat, and I struggle with countering them on the FH side. Any advice on your tactics much appreciated.

Thanks

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 20:29 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
So that's what you'd get if you played me. Unless you're very very quick and superb at reading the game, you won't get back to a chopping position and be able to chop easily against a SP hit. Here are some options:

- Attack first, so the attacker doesn't get to start hitting
- Block, close to the table - if the SP attacker doesn't recover well, that can be effective
- If you can push or chop, the ball you get back won't be loaded with spin, so unless it's very well placed, you can hit/punch-block it away from the attacker - this is a very nasty ball
- On your serve, serve short with a lot of spin, and attack the next ball - an SP attacker is unlikely to be great at touching a short ball short
- On receive attack anything long or half long to your FH
- If it were me, I'd serve fast no spin to your BH and attack the third ball - have a strategy for that, such as twiddling and attacking that serve

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 21:14 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Andro Rasanter r47 2.3mm
BH: S&T Hellfire 0.9
Thanks a lot lord, great advice. Just 1 thing, are you saying instead of playing modern defense ( against hitters) you reccomend staying close as much as possible at the blocking/chop blocking with LP and attacking With FH?

Thanks

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 21:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
If you are getting little spin to work with you need to either generate a lot of spin on your initial shots (from FH) so they are forced into spin...or give no spin at all and keep the ball short...even better if you can create angles that make them reach for it. Try to keep the ball low, SP has difficulty hitting anything lower than net height...so do slappers. A lot comes down to the opponent and how good they are and how well they adapt to changing the game. You probably will need to stay close to the table against this type of player. Once you back off the table you hand them back the advantage unless you find ways to return those low spin hits with power and accuracy. There's no guarantees to success here, all you can do is try things and develop experience with different tactics.....and try to improve .

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 00:41 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Play to the side they spin the most. If they don't have such side (i.e. they don't spin on both sides), choose the one that has the weakest power (mostylt he BH).

If that doesn't work, play to their crossover point.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 16:02 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
ModernDef wrote:
are you saying instead of playing modern defense ( against hitters) you reccomend staying close as much as possible at the blocking/chop blocking with LP and attacking With FH?

I think it's a false dichotomy. My definition of modern defence is what I call "defence into attack" -- you're using your defensive abilities to create an opportunity to attack. If you look at any skilled modern defender, right up to high world ranking level, you'll find they look to get in and attack as soon as they can, but will reset the rally with a chop/push/block/bump.

Against a SP hitter, if you cede the table, you're in trouble. A SP hit will die, and skid, and have little spin. Very hard for you to deal with as a chopper. SP hitters are relying on speed and accuracy. They want to hurry you. If you can contain them with blocks and variation, they will make mistakes. But generally, if you let an SP attacker attack first, unless you're an excellent defender (i.e. your strength in the modern defence is defence), you're giving them the game they want. Instead, look to attack first, and as/when they play into your LP, try either to play to a difficult place, or drop short, to encourage a push, then look to continue the attack.

YMMV, but this is how I would play against such a player. HTH!

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 03:31 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Lorre wrote:
Play to the side they spin the most. If they don't have such side (i.e. they don't spin on both sides), choose the one that has the weakest power (mostylt he BH).

If that doesn't work, play to their crossover point.

This is excellent advice. Most hitters loop more on one side than the other.

LordCope wrote:
- If it were me, I'd serve fast no spin to your BH and attack the third ball - have a strategy for that, such as twiddling and attacking that serve

This is also excellent advice and addresses exactly what people are doing to you as per your original post. They are feeding your pips the spin they want to receive back. In Lord Cope's case, it's No-spin. Others may vary from that.
Many people prefer attacking vs. topspin and will serve you underspin so they get a topspin ball back from the LPs. Some play topspin to the LPs so they get an underspin ball back because they prefer to loop underspin. You need to assess what they prefer attacking and give them back the opposite of what they want.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 03:43 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
Can someone send a Youtube link or two of Joo, Koji or another world-class defender playing an SP attacker (maybe Liu Guoliang?)
I don't know of any modern sp player other than the guy from Sweden, M. Karlsson, but "unfortunately" he plays with Joo on the same team at T2APAC :)

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2017, 21:58 
Super User

notfound123 wrote:
Can someone send a Youtube link or two of Joo, Koji or another world-class defender playing an SP attacker (maybe Liu Guoliang?)
I don't know of any modern sp player other than the guy from Sweden, M. Karlsson, but "unfortunately" he plays with Joo on the same team at T2APAC :)

But remember that theese are aliens... :lol:

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2017, 17:40 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Stay close to table, use your chop block to non SP side mostly, play your normal game then.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!