OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 20:15 

Blade: Ross Leidy Cassandra
FH: Tenergy 05 fx
BH: Tsp p1r 1.0-1.3
Hey guys,
Around 2 years back (probably) when I started using long pips with palio, I could chop without any prior training. This was probably because I played as a pusher before starting to train under a coach. So my training was going well, but of course I didn't know any strategies back then, even hoy to get in a chopping rally, so I only chopped well in training. Instead of continuing with ox, I slowly increased the sponge thickness and now currently using tsp p1r 1 mm. And I used to struggle a lot. Recently, after one whole year with some help from Japsican online, I understood that I developed a short stroke due to fast multiball. Now, I can chop a bit better due to usig long strokes. But the stroke has to be perfect or else it will just sail long. Nevertheless, I'm a bit effective with my pips now. I can chop mediocrely and my hitting is above average. But when you compare my chopping with my offensive forehand, it just pales. my loops and smashes are so much better.
BOTTOM LINE: Should I keep using tsp p1r 1 mm and aspire to have better control, or should I switch back to palio ox and rely on my natural affinity to chopping with it, while of course training? I found chopping with palio much much easier. Didn't need to be so hung up on the stroke and fear it sailing long. Rather the problem was no spin balls and pushes, which I think I can cover with my forehand.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 21:39 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
It sounds like you play with non-optimal rubber for you and that you try to make it work by force. Not a good idea.

I have tried dozens of combinations of rubbers and blades, so at least I have best of those to play with. Your options p1r 1.0 and palio ox (i have both) are in the different ends of pips rubbers. I think that Palio ox is not that good for an ox pip, most other usual pips have better control, like dornenglanz. For me p1r quite difficult and I can't get the spin out of it that it is suppused to give. I glue it to blade from time to time, but I still haven't get the best out of it. My solution is Agenda 1.0, which is somewhere between p1r and palio.

There are hundreds of pips in between to try... :lol: It's not cheap, but its fun.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 22:17 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
I don't really know your level, but my recent experience was that vkm+p1r combo was great for chopping. Tons of control and rediculously spinny chops.
See my latest post in the P1R alternatives thread.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 22:40 

Thanks for the reply guys. It's not like the p1r doesnt have control. But unless I have a long proper stroke and proper timing the ball sails long. But yeah as long as you have a proper stroke, it is very accurate. As for palio not being good, idk to each their own I guess. It had a lot of control in chopping for me. You didn't need a soft hand and could just really chop it hard with a small stroke and the ball would land. As for my level, I was planning to upload a video here, but I heard I have to upload it on youtube first. Any way to upload videos from android? I'm a bit technologically challenged. We don't have any kind of rating system here in Bangladesh.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 23:04 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
infernowasif34 wrote:
Thanks for the reply guys. It's not like the p1r doesnt have control. But unless I have a long proper stroke and proper timing the ball sails long. But yeah as long as you have a proper stroke, it is very accurate. As for palio not being good, idk to each their own I guess. It had a lot of control in chopping for me. You didn't need a soft hand and could just really chop it hard with a small stroke and the ball would land. As for my level, I was planning to upload a video here, but I heard I have to upload it on youtube first. Any way to upload videos from android? I'm a bit technologically challenged. We don't have any kind of rating system here in Bangladesh.

Video would be nice. :) I have downloaded my videos first to youtube.

For me the chopping ability is not first or most important shot - control in the serve receiving is the most important for me. With ox pips chopping is often quite easy with small stroke as you said, so the difference in results is not that big in lower levels compared with skillful sponged chopping. For me the trouble comes with certain pips, when I meet the very spinny server or no-spin pusher/attacker etc.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 23:21 

Hnmm that's true. A no spin serve is tough to deal with ox. As for pushes, you can do them with inverted but at the end of the day, much more safe with sponged ones. I guess I'll try to master the 1 mm for a few more months. Hoping that I can upload videos within this week.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 02:19 
Chop the Ball not the Beard!

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
Reviving an old topic.

I have a palio ck531a here in my hand that i will try,
i have used ck531a in the past with sponge, a easy to use pip with great control and not so dangerous for chopping.

In this hype about the Ma Te pips, (i think he uses ck531a)
i ordered one to try.

so lets see what happens.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 03:25 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
oh interesting post. I would love to hear how the OP got on and what he plays with now
blade and pips

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 08:36 

tried today the palio with sponge after playing with p1r for ate least 3 years without changing.
I used it on a joo blade.
i played with 2 type of juniors, 1 that is a hitter, he uses double inverted but he flat hit a lottt. is a game with very little spin. and the other is a control guy who puts some spin on the ball.
the hitter send long almost every ball. i tried a lot of diferent moviments trying to put backspin but didnt get any on dead balls.
with the other i have put a lot more backspin on my chopps, but its nothing compared to p1r.
i will try it again next week on my VKM backup blade, and see if the extra flex make some more spin on the chopps.

sorry for the bad english but my daughter born 3 weeks ago, i am not sleeping so well. :D

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 04:04 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
manofan wrote:
tried today the palio with sponge after playing with p1r for ate least 3 years without changing.
I used it on a joo blade.
i played with 2 type of juniors, 1 that is a hitter, he uses double inverted but he flat hit a lottt. is a game with very little spin. and the other is a control guy who puts some spin on the ball.
the hitter send long almost every ball. i tried a lot of diferent moviments trying to put backspin but didnt get any on dead balls.
with the other i have put a lot more backspin on my chopps, but its nothing compared to p1r.
i will try it again next week on my VKM backup blade, and see if the extra flex make some more spin on the chopps.

sorry for the bad english but my daughter born 3 weeks ago, i am not sleeping so well. :D

Manofan, your English is fine as always! And Congrats on the baby daughter!!! Such a blessing.

What sponge did you put under the palio? That might factor in. Soft? Hard? Dampening? I tried DG on a 1mm P-1R sponge (kawa sponge). That was an adventure. It was like all or nothing. Either the most dangerous chop you've ever seen, or the most out of control chop you've ever seen. Little in-between.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 04:12 

idk wich sponge is, i will see. i have got a red ck531a cut to a off blade, so i will be using a black one that is new.
they have diferent thickness and color, maybe even diferent hardness.
1 thing that i want to try is put the p1r sponge under it.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2018, 18:42 
Super User

manofan wrote:
idk wich sponge is, i will see. i have got a red ck531a cut to a off blade, so i will be using a black one that is new.
they have diferent thickness and color, maybe even diferent hardness.
1 thing that i want to try is put the p1r sponge under it.

Which Palio is Ma Te likely to be using? Yellow package? Green package? Blue/black/white package? I don't know which one to buy! Which one did you use Manofan?