OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 20:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 10:22 
Super User

Duplicate message. Sorry.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
FH - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2mm
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Hardbat Equipment (Former Full-Time Hardbat Player)
Blade - Marty Reisman custom 5 ply Hock
Rubber - Yasaka Cobalt Alpha OX

PostPosted: 03 May 2018, 09:18 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
How have you been getting on with the inverted so far?

I had a chance to try out the p4 OX rubber a bit, and it seems to do exactly what I wanted! Not as much spin as the FL3, but it has no sponge on the p4 so there's that difference there. I still think the FL3 is just a tiny bit grippier, though nothing too noticeable. Chopping is very nice as expected. You can still spin a dead ball and put a decent amount of rotation on it. Also, it's grippy enough to do attacks against dead balls though not very fast. Chopping is very consistent and easy to do. None of that 'mushy' effect from the soft sponges. You can either chop down the back of the ball for decent spin and perhaps a dead ball, or you can slice under the ball and really load up on the chop.

I've also ordered one of the tibhar evolution fx-s rubbers for testing. Even though I feel quite satisfied with the tenergy, I thought I'd give these a go. Maybe something slightly slower/less bouncy than the tenergy would be an improvement for my game, as I really only attack pushes or slower low spin balls.

PostPosted: 03 May 2018, 14:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Aren't Donic Acuda S1 and Bluefire M1 inverted rubbers? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 21:09 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:

I had a chance to try out the p4 OX rubber a bit, and it seems to do exactly what I wanted! Not as much spin as the FL3, but it has no sponge on the p4 so there's that difference there. I still think the FL3 is just a tiny bit grippier, though nothing too noticeable. Chopping is very nice as expected. You can still spin a dead ball and put a decent amount of rotation on it. Also, it's grippy enough to do attacks against dead balls though not very fast. Chopping is very consistent and easy to do. None of that 'mushy' effect from the soft sponges. You can either chop down the back of the ball for decent spin and perhaps a dead ball, or you can slice under the ball and really load up on the chop.

I've also ordered one of the tibhar evolution fx-s rubbers for testing. Even though I feel quite satisfied with the tenergy, I thought I'd give these a go. Maybe something slightly slower/less bouncy than the tenergy would be an improvement for my game, as I really only attack pushes or slower low spin balls.

Curl P4 sounds great, as expected. As you wanted FL3 in OX, Curl P4 OX may be just the thing for you. When I test it I'll probably try it in 1.5mm, but I might try FL3 in 1.3m first. Not sure though if more 'mushy' sponge is what I need either :), but in theory I should get more variations of spin with it. I'm playing really well though with FL3 in 1.1mm, so I'll probably wait till it's time to replace it before I experiment further with that.

I'm quite interested in the Evolution series of rubbers as well. Let me know your thoughts of FX-S once you've tested it. FX-S is one of the slower ones in the series, right? Might be more controlled because of that.

I've got two updates.

First update is that I've had two sessions with the Joo Sae-Hyuk blade, and it's awesome! It's a lot smaller and lighter than my Reisman blade, so it is a lot better at the table (maneuverability). In addition to being much faster, it also seems to produce significantly more backspin. I only have two issues with it so far, the first being that I feel some vibrations on hard shots (my Reisman blade is as solid as a rock) and it's not quite as accurate or controlled. These are things I am already getting used to though, and the benefits far outweigh the negatives. It simply works better with FL3.

The second update is that I've tested DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2mm (commercial) on my forehand. I never really intended to test this rubber at this stage and was going to jump straight to Tenergy, but here I am testing it. My chops with Hurricane were absolutely loaded and it was surprisingly controlled. I actually found it to have more control than Victas 401 strangely. It's slow when chopping and pushing and fast enough when hitting (speed is somewhere between 401 and Donic Acuda S1). So far so good. The quality control of this series in famously bad though... Durability also seems to be a question mark based on reviews. If I do like it I'll probably get the provincial version.

As for Tenergy, the more I think about it the more unsure I am. The spring sponge concerns me when it comes to chopping, not for control but for backspin. That said, I got quite a bit of backspin with Acuda S1 in max, not as much as with 401, but not that far off. I'm going to get a sheet of 05 or 05 FX sooner or later anyway though, even if I end up liking Hurricane 3 Neo. I need to experience why so many defenders use it, as this will help clarify what it is I benefit from going forward.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Last edited by Snowman89 on 04 May 2018, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 21:11 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Aren't Donic Acuda S1 and Bluefire M1 inverted rubbers? :lol:

Iskandar

Yea, they are lol. skilless_slapper and I are talking about pips too, specifically FL3 and Curl P4.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 06:24 
Super User

Snowman89 wrote:
skilless_slapper wrote:

Curl P4 sounds great, as expected. As you wanted FL3 in OX, Curl P4 OX may be just the thing for you. When I test it I'll probably try it in 1.5mm, but I might try FL3 in 1.3m first. Not sure though if more 'mushy' sponge is what I need either :), but in theory I should get more variations of spin with it. I'm playing really well though with FL3 in 1.1mm, so I'll probably wait till it's time to replace it before I experiment further with that.

I'm quite interested in the Evolution series of rubbers as well. Let me know your thoughts of FX-S once you've tested it. FX-S is one of the slower ones in the series, right? Might be more controlled because of that.

I've got two updates.

First update is that I've had two sessions with the Joo Sae-Hyuk blade, and it's awesome! It's a lot smaller and lighter than my Reisman blade, so it is a lot better at the table (maneuverability). In addition to being much faster, it also seems to produce significantly more backspin. I only have two issues with it so far, the first being that I feel some vibrations on hard shots (my Reisman blade is as solid as a rock) and it's not quite as accurate or controlled. These are things I am already getting used to though, and the benefits far outweigh the negatives. It simply works better with FL3.

The second update is that I've tested DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2mm (commercial) on my forehand. I never really intended to test this rubber at this stage and was going to jump straight to Tenergy, but here I am testing it. My chops with Hurricane were absolutely loaded and it was surprisingly controlled. I actually found it to have more control than Victas 401 strangely. It's slow when chopping and pushing and fast enough when hitting (speed is somewhere between 401 and Donic Acuda S1). So far so good. The quality control of this series in famously bad though... Durability also seems to be a question mark based on reviews. If I do like it I'll probably get the provincial version.

As for Tenergy, the more I think about it the more unsure I am. The spring sponge concerns me when it comes to chopping, not for control but for backspin. That said, I got quite a bit of backspin with Acuda S1 in max, not as much as with 401, but not that far off. I'm going to get a sheet of 05 or 05 FX sooner or later anyway though, even if I end up liking Hurricane 3 Neo. I need to experience why so many defenders use it, as this will help clarify what it is I benefit from going forward.

Without having access to routine training, coaching, and higher level partners... the tenergy can seem to be very touchy, especially on the short shots! That's about my only qualm with it. Even when chopping far from the table, tenergy does a fine job with loads of spin. When I really crank the wrist, it's not uncommon for my opponent to send the ball straight down into the dirt -- as if someone had switched on a super gravity machine right when the ball touched their paddle :lol:

The fx-s is supposed to be very grippy with a softer sponge and slower speed. I've used mx-p and fx-p previously, and found both of them to be just fine. FX-P had quite a bit less spin sensitivity compared to tenergy, so I imagine it produced a bit less also. Probably not enough to make a huge difference.

I've also used the skyline 3 soft version, and felt it was a tremendous rubber for looping/chopping also, with less rebound for the short game. I just get tired of it collecting so much dust etc. I have 3 unopened sheets of it still, and may glue them up to some other blades for fun. It's good stuff and quite popular H3 or S3

With the amount of forehand attacking I'm doing now, I think moving up to the joo blade again or something similar would probably benefit me as well. Most likely not it exactly, since I use OX LP which means the hard blade would assist little in generating spin as it is. I don't credit the p4 exclusively for my increase in wins, but rather my choice to start attacking more often. It's just easier to win points that way! Bait them in with the LP backhand -- after they miss a few chops, it usually means I will be receiving a hefty dose of pushes instead! Once I start killing those with the forehand, they go back attempting to attack or play even heavier pushes. And I'm fine with either of those. Really cranking up the forehand has helped me a lot, as I'm able to pressure them into either playing my preferred game or making more mistakes trying to alter theirs. Still, I usually chop any top spin ball coming to my forehand unless it's a dinky floater until they must push it back.

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 12:59 
Super User

Got the fx-s in the mail today -- did some robot testing, no games or anything yet.

Overall comparison between fx-s 1.9 and tenergy 64 fx / 80 fx...

Fx-s feels like a slightly toned down version of the tenergies. A bit less spin, less speed, less catapult and a bit more control.

Strangely enough though, I thought the fx-s had weaker spin when doing forehand serves -- but when doing my backhand serves, I actually found it had MORE spin! So, probably just a matter of technique there.

With my lousy playing, I could glue on any 3 of the sheets and play just the same. Tenergy FX is slightly softer and more reactive, that's about it.

PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 05:27 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
Got the fx-s in the mail today -- did some robot testing, no games or anything yet.

Overall comparison between fx-s 1.9 and tenergy 64 fx / 80 fx...

Fx-s feels like a slightly toned down version of the tenergies. A bit less spin, less speed, less catapult and a bit more control.

Strangely enough though, I thought the fx-s had weaker spin when doing forehand serves -- but when doing my backhand serves, I actually found it had MORE spin! So, probably just a matter of technique there.

With my lousy playing, I could glue on any 3 of the sheets and play just the same. Tenergy FX is slightly softer and more reactive, that's about it.

Sounds like Tenergy still wins here (compared to fx-s). As you say though, high level practice is a necessity with a high speed rubber like Tenergy.

I have no doubt Tenergy has great access to backspin, but how much does it generate next to Hurricane or Skyline? I definitely chop harder with Hurricane than with Acuda S1, which I'm using as my Tenergy reference right now until I actually try a sheet for myself. I still could chop heavy with Acuda (only slightly less backspin than with 401, a defenders rubber), but Hurricane seems to be on a different level. One of my practice partners has a very controlled game and generally has no issues lifting backspin. You get him through spin variation. However, when I tested Hurricane, he couldn't topspin more than twice in a row, usually netting it on the first shot. This is a first when practicing with him. I also seemed to have more control when chopping than with my 802 pips, though I can't properly comment on that until I've had to do multiple chops in a row lol. It was just a really impressive first hit with the rubber. Tenergy though I'm sure is better for attacking away from the table (Acuda is).

Can we clean tacky rubbers with a standard tt spray cleaner and sponge? I've read that it's best to use your hand and water to retain the tackiness, but for my first clean I used the spray. The rubber sure does get dusty though yea. It's definitely more high maintenance than a grippy European or Japanese rubber.

The last commercial bat I had before moving to Hocks was (if I remember correctly) a Koji Matsushita blade. I have no idea what happened to it. My Hocks seemed similar in speed (it's been a long time though, so perhaps I did find a difference in speed, but I don't remember thinking that), so the Joo Sae-Hyuk blade is definitely a significant bump up in speed. I'm finding it great though, and it definitely chops heavier than anything I've ever played with. It pairs beautifully with Feint Long 3, as it really speeds it up.

"Bait them in with the LP backhand -- after they miss a few chops, it usually means I will be receiving a hefty dose of pushes instead! Once I start killing those with the forehand, they go back attempting to attack or play even heavier pushes. And I'm fine with either of those. Really cranking up the forehand has helped me a lot, as I'm able to pressure them into either playing my preferred game or making more mistakes trying to alter theirs. Still, I usually chop any top spin ball coming to my forehand unless it's a dinky floater until they must push it back."

This is where being able to generate decent pace and spin off your forehand is important. The more you can mess with the attackers rhythm the better. Finding the right balance though... Tenergy would probably be better than Hurricane or Skyline for what you've said, but as choppers, we will ultimately defend a lot more than we attack, so we need to be able to defend well too. Something like Hurricane or Skyline is probably a better middle ground, but if you can chop consistently with Tenergy, maybe it would be the better choice. I've ordered a second Hyuk blade for testing rubbers, so I'll test them side by side when I get the chance (Tenergy vs Hurricane).

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 11:33 
Super User

Tenergy vs skyline/h3... I have to think they're fairly comparable, spin wise. I think the main difference between them is reactiveness and speed. Tenergy has that famous 'spring' action to it, which to me, makes short games harder to play but long distance ones easier. That's why the chinese generally twiddle to smash with the tenergy on the forehand, historically. Skyline is easier to do controlled pushes and the chopping game is more stable, in the sense that fewer balls will go flying off due to speed -- but the spin will still get you.

On a side note, I was using rozena 2.1 today -- played better than ever with it! Great spin on chops, plenty fast for attacks, and easier to touch in the short shots.

And having tried yet another rubber... I can safely say that in the end, it doesn't matter much at all to me! :lol: Once you do a slight adjustment, it is easy to play with any of them. Sure, some might be a bit more spinny or a bit faster or a bit more controlled and whatnot. But I'm finding those are minute points, and so long as I have my basic technique down, I can get along with any of them. In fact, the more I play the more selective I am with the attacking shots. Since I don't mind being attacked myself (and prefer it), I like to "push them down" as it were. And if they choose not to attack, then I wait for a favorable incoming push and really rip into it with a loop. So if I only attack backspin balls (or stupid easy high balls), then I don't gain a ton of advantage from using the faster rubbers. When going offensively myself, I saw that more points were being lost from taking needless risks - aka lack of skill! When I focus on defense and paralyzing them with pushes/chops, then when I do attack the % of winners is much higher, though less frequent.

I just use regular cleaning for the tacky rubbers and slap on a protective plastic sheet to avoid dust bunnies. Some times you can stack some weights/books on the rubber after doing so, and when you peel off the plastic sheet, much of the tackiness will be restored.

I guess it comes down to... would you rather miss some defensive shots because the rubber is really fast and spinny, but make a few more attacks due to the same reason? Or do you want to be a god at returning defensively, but find more of your own attacks being returned due to the slower rubber?

Personally, I don't often see my loops returned when attacking pushes. The change from heavy backspin/floats to having to block a LOADED top spin (perhaps slow and high arced as well) throws lots of them off. Especially if I wait to receive a well positioned push, so I can find an even better angle when looping. I try to force them to move toward the ball, so they must be able to do their loop technique while in motion to reach the ball.

The joo is a pretty peppery blade! Big and clunky, but perhaps because you used the heavy weighted reisman previously it doesn't feel too shockingly foreign. I think the faster blades give your chops a flatter trajectory (more of the net skimming sort), while the slower blades are easier to do slower, heavier, and more arced chops. Of course either blade style can do either shot, but each is oriented toward one. Is that how you're finding the joo?

The p4 is working out wonderfully -- chopping rather dead, or raking under the ball and sending back decently heavy spin when using OX. It is a bit more sensitive to spin, so I'm still missing a few wide chops to the backhand, whereas previously with the slicker pips I could return those and not worry much about the angle. Just some technique changes required, and a more committed stroke.

I'm thinking about going back to juic elite 999 defense or nittaku revspin. Both are much easier to control defensively, but lack the penetration power of tenergy. Maybe even buying a sheet of the 401 to try.

PostPosted: 08 May 2018, 20:45 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
Tenergy vs skyline/h3... I have to think they're fairly comparable, spin wise. I think the main difference between them is reactiveness and speed. Tenergy has that famous 'spring' action to it, which to me, makes short games harder to play but long distance ones easier. That's why the chinese generally twiddle to smash with the tenergy on the forehand, historically. Skyline is easier to do controlled pushes and the chopping game is more stable, in the sense that fewer balls will go flying off due to speed -- but the spin will still get you.

On a side note, I was using rozena 2.1 today -- played better than ever with it! Great spin on chops, plenty fast for attacks, and easier to touch in the short shots.

And having tried yet another rubber... I can safely say that in the end, it doesn't matter much at all to me! :lol: Once you do a slight adjustment, it is easy to play with any of them. Sure, some might be a bit more spinny or a bit faster or a bit more controlled and whatnot. But I'm finding those are minute points, and so long as I have my basic technique down, I can get along with any of them. In fact, the more I play the more selective I am with the attacking shots. Since I don't mind being attacked myself (and prefer it), I like to "push them down" as it were. And if they choose not to attack, then I wait for a favorable incoming push and really rip into it with a loop. So if I only attack backspin balls (or stupid easy high balls), then I don't gain a ton of advantage from using the faster rubbers. When going offensively myself, I saw that more points were being lost from taking needless risks - aka lack of skill! When I focus on defense and paralyzing them with pushes/chops, then when I do attack the % of winners is much higher, though less frequent.

I just use regular cleaning for the tacky rubbers and slap on a protective plastic sheet to avoid dust bunnies. Some times you can stack some weights/books on the rubber after doing so, and when you peel off the plastic sheet, much of the tackiness will be restored.

I guess it comes down to... would you rather miss some defensive shots because the rubber is really fast and spinny, but make a few more attacks due to the same reason? Or do you want to be a god at returning defensively, but find more of your own attacks being returned due to the slower rubber?

Personally, I don't often see my loops returned when attacking pushes. The change from heavy backspin/floats to having to block a LOADED top spin (perhaps slow and high arced as well) throws lots of them off. Especially if I wait to receive a well positioned push, so I can find an even better angle when looping. I try to force them to move toward the ball, so they must be able to do their loop technique while in motion to reach the ball.

The joo is a pretty peppery blade! Big and clunky, but perhaps because you used the heavy weighted reisman previously it doesn't feel too shockingly foreign. I think the faster blades give your chops a flatter trajectory (more of the net skimming sort), while the slower blades are easier to do slower, heavier, and more arced chops. Of course either blade style can do either shot, but each is oriented toward one. Is that how you're finding the joo?

The p4 is working out wonderfully -- chopping rather dead, or raking under the ball and sending back decently heavy spin when using OX. It is a bit more sensitive to spin, so I'm still missing a few wide chops to the backhand, whereas previously with the slicker pips I could return those and not worry much about the angle. Just some technique changes required, and a more committed stroke.

I'm thinking about going back to juic elite 999 defense or nittaku revspin. Both are much easier to control defensively, but lack the penetration power of tenergy. Maybe even buying a sheet of the 401 to try.

I think a lot of it is in our heads, what we feel most comfortable with (particularly under pressure). Most of these rubbers are capable of some great stuff. I feel more comfortable defending with Feint Long 3 than I did my Yasaka short pips, which has in turn improved my defense. My defense might actually of been technically better with my old Yasaka pips, as max backspin was greater and floats were even lighter (attacks were also faster and flatter), but the feeling with FL3 that I'm not likely to miss means I'm playing more confidently. I want the same level of confidence in a forehand rubber.

With 401, I get the feeling I would be confident defending with it under pressure. It' a really nice, high quality rubber. It's when it comes to attacking that I'm not sure about it. I'll be testing it again when I receive my second Joo blade. If you put 100% into it, the pace was good. The thing is, I don't want to put max effort into my attacks all the time, as I personally feel that I'm more likely to make a mistake that way. Ideally, I want to be able to generate sufficient pace with 70-80% effort. So far, I feel it's possible with Hurricane, but I need to test it against my strongest practice partner. We're at a similar level, so if I feel pressured when attacking him (like I did with 401 but not with Acuda), it's not going to work. Attacking an attacker is meant to be the fun bit (as the tables turn so to speak :)). I'd say 401 is worth a go though if you want to try it. For more punch, I'd say go with 2mm (I have it in 1.8mm). Also, there's 402 Double Extra, which is a kind of update to 401 with a little more pop.

Hadn't heard of Butterfly Rozena till now. There are too many rubbers lol.

From what you're saying about your attack ratio, Tenergy is only benefiting you here and there, basically when they push or pop one up. In that case, a more stable rubber for defense might be worth a try. 401 would be a massive step down in power though (it certainly was next to Acuda).

I'm not 100% on what ratio I'm trying to get. With short pips, I would attack as much as I could, but against stronger opponents who good slices/pushes and loops, I didn't get many chances to attack (as it's safest to attack the ball when it's higher than the net I found with short pips). This is why I'm here now trying inverted, to give me more attacking (and defensive) options. It might actually take some time, basically when I've gotten used to inverted, before I know what I need based on how I use inverted on my forehand. Right now, I'm trying to find what I think I need. I'd say I'm being a little more aggressive than I was with short pips, but I'm still chopping more than attacking. Hurricane would appear to be suitable for that.

This is what it comes down to.
If your opponent 'fears' your attack, they are more likely to make bad decisions when attacking your defense. The worst situations I've been in as a defender are when, for whatever reason, I haven't been able to get my attack in and a strong opponent has confidently (and patiently) played my defense. I think this is where sacrificing some defensive control for faster attacks could be worth it. I definitely think a modern defender with a more balanced defense and offense is harder to play than a more straightforward defender. Still, where we do draw the line when balancing defense and offense? I'm not sure yet if I need to go for a rubber as fast as Tenergy to achieve the above balance. As you say, "The change from heavy backspin/floats to having to block a LOADED top spin (perhaps slow and high arced as well) throws lots of them off." It's just as much about the variation, the difference between a chop and a loop, as it is about the speed of your attack. Hurricane seems to fit in the middle between rubbers like 401 and Tenergy, so I'll hopefully know soon.

I haven't used enough blades within a reasonable period of time to really compare. Coming from my Reisman blade though, the Joo blade is light, small, and fast. Some chops are sailing just long at the moment, so yea, it may have a straighter arc. Attacks with FL3 certainly go through the table a lot more. FL3 with my Reisman blade seemed to keep balls in almost all the time. I think it's just a small adjustment though, as it's getting easier to keep the chops from going off the table. The straighter flight path might also be giving the impression of heavier backspin (as it's lower over the net), as I would have thought that my softer yet more stable Reisman would generate more backspin.

Trying to resist getting P4 in 1.5mm and P1-r 1.4-1.7mm right now. I only want to be testing one side at a time, but experimenting is too fun (while also equally frustrating).

Do you get some reversal with P4 OX? Just curious, as it with sponge, I imagine it's similar to FL3 (basically no reversal).

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

PostPosted: 09 May 2018, 09:01 
Super User

p4 in ox gets minor reversal with a slow, defensive blade. It seems to send back balls with very mild backspin, or dead balls when doing passive blocks. It can chop block fairly well, though the angle is very tricky. The capability is still there, even if not intended or wanted!

:lol: First time I've heard someone refer to the joo blade as being light!

How do you think the ox short pips compares to the long pips for chopping? Obviously the LP are more stable and easier to use (forgiving), and probably better when out of position. But for causing errors and such, do you think the SP's were a lot better at doing so? Reason I ask, I've glued on a sheet of super spinpips in .3-.6 sponge for a little test run. I like the ease of chopping with the LPs, but the variation isn't too high especially in OX. So my backhand has basically become a "wall" of sorts, without a whole lot of weapons aside from being consistent -- and hearing "oh man, good get!" pretty regularly. Nobody is saying, keep it away from his backhand! Well... some do, but just because they're scared by LP and don't know what to expect in terms of reversal/spin being returned.

But having used my backhand as a weapon for so long, I kind of have a mental letdown that it's been relegated to safety shots and setups at this point. The p4 allows for some spin variation, however the top end is not very good when compared to the spinny short pips. And if I can't loop very often at all anymore (or the tendons flare up, even after 5 loops), I'd like to have the backhand be lethal, even if it is only 'underspin offense'.

I had read on here before that an easy way to decide is:

- if you want to attack with the forehand, and only chop to setup your attack... then go with long pips!

- if you want to deceive and cause more errors by chopping and disguise pushes, with occasional attacks... then use short pips!

The spinny LPs have essentially terminated my usual LP attacks at the table (aggressive pushing as it's called, or punchblocking). And I use them for chopping exclusively, with a hit over the table now and again. So I'm thinking of going back to SPs for a bit and doing more 'offensive' chopping, in terms of drawing out mistakes and such.

Having done the SP OX route, what do you think about it now?

PostPosted: 09 May 2018, 19:12 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
p4 in ox gets minor reversal with a slow, defensive blade. It seems to send back balls with very mild backspin, or dead balls when doing passive blocks. It can chop block fairly well, though the angle is very tricky. The capability is still there, even if not intended or wanted!

:lol: First time I've heard someone refer to the joo blade as being light!

How do you think the ox short pips compares to the long pips for chopping? Obviously the LP are more stable and easier to use (forgiving), and probably better when out of position. But for causing errors and such, do you think the SP's were a lot better at doing so? Reason I ask, I've glued on a sheet of super spinpips in .3-.6 sponge for a little test run. I like the ease of chopping with the LPs, but the variation isn't too high especially in OX. So my backhand has basically become a "wall" of sorts, without a whole lot of weapons aside from being consistent -- and hearing "oh man, good get!" pretty regularly. Nobody is saying, keep it away from his backhand! Well... some do, but just because they're scared by LP and don't know what to expect in terms of reversal/spin being returned.

But having used my backhand as a weapon for so long, I kind of have a mental letdown that it's been relegated to safety shots and setups at this point. The p4 allows for some spin variation, however the top end is not very good when compared to the spinny short pips. And if I can't loop very often at all anymore (or the tendons flare up, even after 5 loops), I'd like to have the backhand be lethal, even if it is only 'underspin offense'.

I had read on here before that an easy way to decide is:

- if you want to attack with the forehand, and only chop to setup your attack... then go with long pips!

- if you want to deceive and cause more errors by chopping and disguise pushes, with occasional attacks... then use short pips!

The spinny LPs have essentially terminated my usual LP attacks at the table (aggressive pushing as it's called, or punchblocking). And I use them for chopping exclusively, with a hit over the table now and again. So I'm thinking of going back to SPs for a bit and doing more 'offensive' chopping, in terms of drawing out mistakes and such.

Having done the SP OX route, what do you think about it now?

Everything is relative. The Joo blade is light to me because I was using a hand mounted tank before :).

In honesty, every short pip I can remember playing with or trying chops heavier than FL3, and floats were even deader. Attacking and blocking was also better, though strangely I may generate more backspin pushing with FL3 than with most SPs. Where FL3 beats every single SP I've hit with is control against pace and spin (though FL3 is awkward at pushing because of spin sensitivity). For instance, against a heavy looper when I'm using SPs, I needed to get back really quickly and take the ball as low as I could. With FL3, I can safely chop from anywhere, which helps as you say when I'm out of position. I also have more control when it comes to varying how much chop I put on the ball against a loop, if you get what I mean. Because it's so forgiving, I can more easily give a float against a loop or really dig down and send back heavy chop (though SPs are obviously more effective at this still, it's just easier with FL3). With SPs, heavy spin had a slight skid effect (flying off my bat quicker as a result), meaning I didn't have ideal control over the ball in these situations. It was also punishing when caught close to the table against pace, even if there was no much spin. Basically, everything had to be just right. Keep in mind that I'm referring to SP OX here. If you pair SPs with defensive soft sponge, it would probably be more forgiving (of course, there would be downsides to this as well). My 802 1.5mm pips aren't forgiving at all, but it is fairly reactive, which makes it a great all rounder. The chop I can generate with it is crazy (it stays so low as well and just skids off the table). Flat hitting is excellent, as is blocking. The problem again is that it is not very forgiving defensively or really dangerous enough as a forehand rubber. I bet it would be a great backhand SP though, which I will test in the near future. I was originally going to try tensor pips on my forehand instead of inverted, but I'm glad I went the inverted route.

When I read about why pro defenders tend to prefer long pips, for consistency/forgiveness, I had to try them. However, coming from a SP background, the ability to vary levels of backspin and confuse opponents is important to me. I've built my defense around it. FL3 is kind of a middle ground. I have the consistency/forgiveness of a LP but with some of the spin variation of a SP. I don't have the best of both, as in the power of reversal of something like Curl P1-r or the SP brick chops against no spin balls (FL3 can still put decent backspin on no spin balls though). I think Curl P1-r would chop heavier than any SP against decent spin, but the ability to make your opponent sink the ball into the bottom of the net on their first hit is a beautiful thing :). Variation I think is also really important for defenders, and having control over how much spin is on the ball helps. Also, higher level attackers don't tend to keep feeding the defender loops, and they therefore avoid a build up of spin. They might hit a few then push and wait for a sitter. Rinse and repeat. I think this is where, as a defender, being really dangerous with your forehand comes in. This was my experience when I tested Feint Long 2. It was great if they kept looping, but as soon as they pushed, the build of spin had to start all over again. That's no good, at least for me.

FL3 is a compromise for me. My backhand (attack) is roughly as good as my forehand, so losing it by using a slow rubber like FL3 is a problem. Yea, I can hit with it, and it's certainly 100% better with the Joo blade, but I still won't be winning many counter wars.

Variation of spin is more important than max spin. I read that somewhere on this forum, and I think it rings true here. I would like my heaviest chop with FL3 to be heavier, but I can still chop heavy and throw in floats. Variety is still there, and my chopping is steadier than ever. I think what I need to do going forward is learn how to twiddle (and fast) so I can retain my backhand attack as a viable option in a match.

Thicker sponge is still on my mind though. The mushy sponge of FL3 is concerning, but if I could generate more backspin with 1.3mm than 1.1mm, it might be worth it.

If you want to attack off both wings and get heavier chops against low spin balls (probably less backspin against heavy loops), SP may be the way to go. Have you tried P4 though with thicker sponge? I'm really tempted by it in 1.5mm (FL3 only goes up to 1.3mm). I imagine chops would be noticeably heavier than with P4 OX. It would probably still have more control against heavy pace and spin than SPs as well.

Your backhand with P4 OX becoming more of a wall rings true with my own experience. FL3, even in 1.1mm, has turned my backhand into a wall too. It didn't use to be. Well, I was still steady, but I could do more with it than I can do now. Having such options also led me to be more impatient. I think FL3 is helping me mentally become a better player actually.

You're doing the right thing by just trying short pips. That's really the only way to figure these things out. To sum up, P4 and FL3 will help you stay in the rallies and SPs will help you finish them quicker. Which is better depends on your style and your opponent. For me, the stronger opponents will force me into longer rallies, so I think FL3 or something similar (like P4) is likely the right way to go.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

PostPosted: 11 May 2018, 09:16 
Super User

Just ordered Curl P4 1.5mm. Might take a couple of weeks, along with my second Joo blade. I'll test it once I have both, as I'm not taking my Feint Long 3 off my current Joo blade. This will be it then for logical LP choices for me. Curl P1-r would be interesting to me because of its status (as well as Dtechs Grass), as it's become somewhat of a legend in the pip world, but my active float and chop defensive style likely wouldn't pair with it very well.

I'll also pop Acuda S1 on the blade to try again. I'll then be able to directly compare Hurricane 3 Neo and a Tenergy type rubber and get immediate feedback on how much chop I'm getting etc.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

PostPosted: 11 May 2018, 09:16 
Super User

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

PostPosted: 12 May 2018, 01:14 
Super User

Many thanks for your SP comparison! Seems to be what is echoed across the board -- SP more variation, but harder to control. LP more stable, but a bit more dependent on what opponent throws at you. Mentally I think I prefer the SP game, we'll just see if my skill allows for it!

I have the FL3 in 1.3 as well, and it does give a little more spin than the .5 version though for me it was not a huge night and day difference. So I'd imagine 1.1 to 1.3 would be even less. You may like the p4 in 1.4-1.7, since that would probably be the spinniest long pip on the market! And realistically would only be granting marginal control over SPs, I might imagine...

I'd be giving up the backhand punch attack against backspin, which was my favorite. But I find I'm more consistent chopping/pushing on the backhand and waiting for a high ball to attack or a push to loop.

To throw some more monkey wrenches into the works... you may also like to try Yasaka Rising Dragon. It is a cross between chinese tacky and speedier euro rubbers. I have a sheet and was testing it again recently. Seemed to work very well! Leatherback (from the forum here) espoused his like for this as a chopper/attacker rubber also. He's at a pretty high level, just to note that it does work going up the scale. The FX-S is also quite good. Not as spinny as tenergy, but not as fast or sensitive to spin - so you'd get better control, sacrificing just a bit of spin/speed.

The inverted rubbers really aren't all that different -- you can pretty much just pick one you like based on feel and stay with it. At higher levels virtually everyone of the modern/older ones can be found. From MX-P to tenergy to hurricanes to yada yada.

I doubt you'd like curl p1r and especially not d.techs if your aim is to vary spin. IMO they lack the grip to really base your game on doing so. D.techs in particular, as it does not generate much spin at all -- though it does well when chopping since the reversal is so good, more spin is converted to chop. Against dead balls? You return dead balls in essence.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!